Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/8/2024 11:46:53 AM EDT
My son is putting Eglin as one of his first duty assignment picks.  He is currently in Air Force BMT.  How is the area around Eglin?  Pros and cons. He loves the out doors, hunting and fishing.
Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 5:12:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Pallas] [#1]
It's fine, mostly good area, Eglin is a pretty nice base.

Lots of fishing, he can hunt on Eglin and the State Forest. Bunch of good ranges in the area.

Cons, it's FL and hot AF, traffic around the area can be pretty bad.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 12:44:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MikeJGA] [#2]
Nice, safe,  conservative area.  Good hunting on post.  I have gotten a decent deer for the last 5 years.  Plenty of on base, fresh water fishing.  Outstanding salt water fishing.  Good commissary, BX, medical care.

I live down 98 across from Hurlburt Field. Been here since 2015 and never regretted it.

Cons: people bitch about the traffic on 98,  it stil beats the traffic in D.C., STL, ATL, CHI, etc.
It takes a few years to get aclimated to the humidity.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 1:41:20 PM EDT
[#3]
As stated above, it’s a decent area.  Been here since 1990.  The fishing is great and lots of areas to fish. Both fresh and salt.  Obviously lots more salt water areas.  
The traffic is bad, not as bad as some areas.  The problem is that 98 is the only East/West corridor to Hurlburt. So traffic coming and going from Hurlburt sucks. Tons of military live in Navarre and then add in the tourist traffic and school traffic and it gets frustrating. One decent wreck on 98 will put a halt on getting anywhere in a decent time.
Areas in Ft Walton, Shalimar, etc are pretty safe. Crestview is the same.
As mentioned above, hunting is allowed on Eglin range with permit.  Open areas change frequently during hunting season due to AF and Army missions.  Plenty of other areas in the region though.
Shooting ranges near Eglin include Element and Altus.  I’m at Element and have no complaints. Never been to Altus, but it looks pretty awesome as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top