Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2024 11:28:13 PM EDT
I think i would be more beneficial to reintroduce a population back in California.

Link for public comment
https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2024/01/18/2024-00873/endangered-and-threatened-wildlife-and-plants-establishment-of-an-experimental-population-of-the
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 12:19:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 2:27:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By HYDRASHOKMONTANA:
I think i would be more beneficial to reintroduce a population back in California.

Link for public comment
https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2024/01/18/2024-00873/endangered-and-threatened-wildlife-and-plants-establishment-of-an-experimental-population-of-the
View Quote

I hate these assholes. From your link

Background
The grizzly bear is currently listed as a threatened species in the lower-48 States under the ESA. The BE (<<<Bitterroot Ecosystem) is one of six recovery zones identified in the 1993 Grizzly Bear Recovery Plan (USFWS 1993, entire). A recovery zone is an area large enough and of sufficient habitat quality to support a recovered grizzly bear population. The goal of the recovery plan is to reduce threats to the grizzly bear in each ecosystem so that the species can be considered for delisting due to recovery (USFWS 1993, p. 33). The grizzly bear is functionally extirpated in the BE, although there have been recent instances of individual grizzly bears dispersing into the ecosystem. Restoring a viable grizzly bear population to the BE would support the overall recovery of the grizzly bear in the lower-48 States.
View Quote

1993 Grizzly Bear Recovery Plan
Prepared by: Dr. Christopher Servheen

^^^Here's a little about this shitstain
A Biologist Fought to Remove Grizzlies From the Endangered Species List — Until Montana Republicans Changed His Mind

By the time he retired from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service in 2016, Servheen had become a prominent advocate of the view that federal grizzly bear recovery efforts had worked and the time for delisting had come. Now the president and board chair of the Montana Wildlife Federation, the state’s oldest and largest conservation organization, Servheen’s position on the delisting question has turned 180 degrees. The reason is rooted in politics, and what he sees as a wave of fact-free “hysteria” sweeping the Rocky Mountain West.
View Quote

It's all so fucking tiring.

If you love these fucking bears so much go live with them. Remember that crazy guy that did that? Total nut job, but respect, he lived it...for a while. Drop off 20 Grizzlies near Missoula and this whole thing would get the kibosh lickety-split.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 1:25:51 AM EDT
[#3]
There are already grizzlies around Missoula & have been coming into the Bitterroot for several years from the north & a few from the Big Hole.

The problem ones are captured & dropped back off into the Blackfoot.  

There are also a few griz already in the Selway-Bitterroot Wilderness (aka Bitterroot Recovery Area) which is 95% in Idaho and  larger than the NCDE (Glavier & the Bob), so there's plenty of room to send bears into that Recovery area.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 2:46:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sefus] [#4]
I’ve seen them in the bitterroots and in the Malard Larkin area (basically idaho side of the bitterroots). Concerns me that they could be problem bears dropped off to where I backpack.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 9:17:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Talyn] [#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By sefus:
I’ve seen them in the bitterroots and in the Malard Larkin area (basically idaho side of the bitterroots). Concerns me that they could be problem bears dropped off to where I backpack.
View Quote

Yea, north of the Lochsa up into most of the Kelly Creek drainage, up across the Great Burn and to the Mallard Larkins are essentially wilderness even though they aren't designated wilderness so there's plenty of area across the state line in Idaho the whole way down to the Salmon River, and eben acorss it to the south into the Franck Church (wilderness) to send the excess griz that are spreading out of the Bob & coming across from YNP.

Besides the griz that come out of the Bitterroots down the valley that are cuaght on camera, then go back in a bow hunter killed one in the Upper Kelly Creek country and there's likely a few more in that area since its so wild.

And there are three griz in the northern Sapphires right now so as the excess griz disperse out of the north and east coming this way is inevitable.  Best send the ones that might get into trouble down in the Valley just up Hwy 12 into Idaho.

The only way griz become probelm bears is when the get into garbage like the two that were hanging out in the Florance area & got into stuff since there's no bear-proof cans in the the Valley yet, like what's been the case in the Missions for decades; or the young male griz that hung out on the Stevensville golf course all summer a few years ago until he started digging a den for the winter on it so they trapped him & sent him up to the Seely area where he got into trouble with garbage & he was put down.

If your backpacking hanging your food & not eating in your tent will keep any "problems" away due to the smell.

I know Servheen and sometimes Researchers have a hard time letting go of stuff they spent their whole career working with. He's a good biologist & person, and when it comes to hunting grizzlies as part of a a state mgt Plan he's gotten wound around the axle a bit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top