Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/16/2024 6:01:39 PM EDT
I’m supposed to be flying in to LA in a couple of weeks to repatriate my gf back to Florida. Driving back across country back to FL. I know I cannot CCW in Cali but I’d prefer not to do a cross country trip unarmed.

What’s the need to knows about flying into LAX with a firearm? Pretty sure the Glock 17 with standard cap mags is gonna be off limits. From what little I understand there is an “approved” list or some sorts California has? What would be “safe” for me to travel with? Thank y’all. Hope things get better there soon. It’s a beautiful state.

Link Posted: 3/16/2024 7:14:53 PM EDT
[#1]
The roster we have won’t apply to you. It’s mainly for purchase of firearms by CA residents. The main things would be no mags over 10 rounds and no threaded barrel. As you mentioned no CCW. Storage of your firearm while driving in a container away (if possible) from the driving compartment. I don’t recall off hand if the container needs to be locked with ammo separate or not. I’m sure someone else can clear that up.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 11:14:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trollslayer] [#2]
Relative to possession while driving in CA -

The roster does not apply to you in any way.

The handgun must be unloaded and in a locked container while driving.  Hard case or soft does not matter as long as it's locked.  

Storing the firearm, even in its container, in either the glove box or center console is specifically prohibited, so most people put it in their trunk.  

Magazines may not hold more than 10 rounds.

Ammunition may be in the magazines (or not) and may be stored along with the handgun inside the container, as long as the ammo is not IN in the firearm (unloaded).  

There are several handgun configurations that are banned such as barrel shrouds, mags outside the pistol grip, forward hand grips, no threaded barrel, none of which apply to your standard Glock 17.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 11:17:06 PM EDT
[#3]
A pistol can be transported unloaded in a locked container, the ammunition can be in the container.  Unloaded is with the ammunition not attached to the firearm.  So mags can be in the container but not inserted in the pistol.  Neither the glove box nor IIRC a utility compartment can be the locked container.

That differs some from the air transport requirements so if wanting to shift containers or ammo around, the luggage pickup area is not the place to do that
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 11:26:16 PM EDT
[#4]
It's also a requirement that the transportation is between places where it is legal to possess.   You aren't supposed to just carry in the container all the time.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 12:29:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Featureless:
It's also a requirement that the transportation is between places where it is legal to possess.   You aren't supposed to just carry in the container all the time.
View Quote

Only when not in a motor vehicle.  So you can't walk or ride a bike with a handgun locked up like that all day; you have to strictly be going between authorized places with no unnecessary stops.  But in your vehicle it does not matter.

Also, the locked container can be anywhere in the vehicle to include the glove box or utility box, it's just that the latter cannot be used in and of themselves as the locked compartment or container (you can't throw the pistol in the glove box and lock it; it has to be in its own locked container).

Also, if it were me, I would not give a damn about the mag restrictions.  I would have 10s or magazine blocks for my regular mags for use while within the boundaries of California and then remove the blocks or switch to regular mags that I also bring with me as soon as I can after leaving.  No one is going to be inspecting your luggage on arrival.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 7:43:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BayEagle] [#6]
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 12:24:26 PM EDT
[#7]
He can't  legally  import or possess 15 round magazines, loaded or not.  The container must be secure, fully enclose the handgun, be locked, and not the glove or utility compartment.

So, not required to be attached to the car or in the trunk. Things to be considered for convenience, maybe reduce chances of easy theft, etc.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 11:07:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trollslayer] [#8]
Just for clarity on that specific question -

DON'T BRING 15 ROUND MAGAZINES INTO CALIFORNIA!

Nothing over 10 rounds can be brought in right now.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 9:04:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top