Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2023 4:09:34 PM EDT
There is no Canada HTF so Alaksa is about as close as I can get.... I am a Georgia resident who spends the summer traveling out west in our campers. each year we spend a few weeks in Montana exploring and typical tourist stuff.

this year we are going to go to Canada through Montana towards Banff and Jasper.  we spend lots of time hiking in very remote areas and I typically carry a 454 Ruger Alaskan.

trying to make sense of what is allowed to be taken to Canada.  

Has anyone gone to Canada that can help?  seems like the barrel of the revovler has to be over 4.1" which would rule the Alaskan out.

if I am going to "have to" buy a new gun what would you recommend for Grizzly?  I am trying to find one that falls in line of their "non-restricted fiream" which they define as: An ordinary rifle, shotgun or combination gun that is not described below as being restricted or prohibited

And also what is your favorite bear protection caliber for a handgun?

https://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/wam/media/2347/original/d369a605ac3363b569af5ea5dc40c88d.pdf
A Prohibited Firearm is:
A handgun with a barrel length of 105 mm (4.1 inches) or less.
A handgun designed or adapted to discharge 25 or 32 calibre ammunition.
A rifle or shotgun that has been altered to make it less than 660 mm (26 inches) in overall length.
A rifle or shotgun that has been altered to make the barrel length less than 457 mm (18 inches) where the overall firearm length is 660 mm
(26 inches) or more.
An automatic firearm and a converted automatic firearm.
Any firearm prescribed as prohibited
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 7:15:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Having driven through Canada with ammo I can’t imagine the fiasco of trying to bring a handgun into it. And personally not something I would want to deal with.

That being said I carry a Glock 10mm. Mine is the model 40 long slide. I’d rather have 20rds of 10mm than 5 of a larger caliber.

The 40 does have a 6in barrel. But I highly doubt Canada is a fan of glocks.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 8:26:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Having driven through Canada with ammo I can’t imagine the fiasco of trying to bring a handgun into it. And personally not something I would want to deal with.

That being said I carry a Glock 10mm. Mine is the model 40 long slide. I’d rather have 20rds of 10mm than 5 of a larger caliber.

The 40 does have a 6in barrel. But I highly doubt Canada is a fan of glocks.
View Quote

Yea, anything with a magazine is out...lol
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 12:54:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Over the years, we have traveled through Canada with both a 12 ga pump, 18'-barrel shotgun and a lever action 44 mag rifle.  While they might not be ideal, they worked for us.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 9:35:51 AM EDT
[#4]
So Canada just banned all handguns, you probably can't bring anything there. Look into that.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 9:59:28 PM EDT
[#5]
There is a permit to transfer and a class to get a certificate for $90 this winter in Haines. It allows you to travel WITH LEGAL HANDGUNS through BC and Yukon. Please show me where this has been repealed for US travelers with approval from the RCMP.

I go through the Alcan with handguns every year with no issue to hunt in Tok. They don't even want to look at the guns we bring as long as the paperwork is filled out and payment made.

I had my 22 pistol cut down to 4.25 in and threaded for my can to shoot grouse. This was cut just to travel through Canada.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 2:09:20 AM EDT
[#6]
As I read the OP, He is not talking about driving through Canada, USA to USA; he is talking about driving TO Canada and going hiking with a handgun on his person for self-defense.  Sounds like a bad idea to me.

We only drove with a few guns during our move through Canada.  All were long Fudd guns except for one Garand that was specifically exempted from their ban list.  I spoke with RCMP on the phone when I had questions before our trips; they were very helpful.  CBP was nice to us at the crossings.  As I remember: ALL guns had to be locked up the entire trip through Canada.  The world (Canada) has changed since our trips!  Even back then I only took firearms I was 100% sure there would be no problem.

I followed a thread on another site a while back where a Canadian had a permit to carry a handgun in the woods for self-defense.  He worked in the woods and it was still a pretty big deal to be allowed to carry.

Edit:  I tracked down that 2021 thread and will correct my misremembers:  The guy gave the Wilderness Permit test for people that worked in the woods and "needed" to carry a handgun for protection.  Very few people have the "need".  Bear guides, remote small scale miners, etc. He said at one point:  "US citizens won't be carrying a handgun in B.C. or the Yukon under any circumstance..."
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 9:30:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Yea it was to have my handgun with me while visiting Canada.

Which is no longer allowed.

We will be leaving our guns (and ammo as they are considered DD in Canada) in the US before leaving :(
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 9:56:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Good to see you're still around Gajeep. I haven't been in the Georgia hometown forum much lately so I don't run across any of the people I used to talk to on here.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top