Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 11:48:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Hopefully whoever I talk to in Jefferson City will be reasonable.  I already have a headache
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 9:49:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Don't bother calling today.

It's Harry Truman Day. State Offices are closed.

But the legislature is still in session.
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 12:17:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Cool, I'll postpone the worst part of the headache until tomorrow.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 4:09:42 PM EDT
[#4]
It wasn't unpleasant at all and they said they would put in a ticket on the reference number stating all of the required documentation has been submitted.  

Being experienced in both military and LE crap, this was probably one of the easier bureaucratic processes I've dealt with. Usually I get kicked around between several people before finally getting to someone that can actually help. And then they act like they are doing you a favor by doing their job.
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 9:28:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Bought a 2016 TTR 230 for my daughter.  No title.  At first I was disappointed that I wouldn't be able to get a title for the bike as 2016 is too new (2008 is current cutoff for 15 years)  Then I remembered VT is non-titling for motorcycles 300cc or less.  Sent the paperwork in to VT last week.  Maybe I'll start looking for a title-less KLX300!  
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 11:24:47 AM EDT
[#6]
I just realized I still haven't gotten a title from Missouri yet. I need to call DOR again.
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 12:03:10 PM EDT
[#7]
VT process as we know it is closed.

https://www.theautopian.com/vermont-will-no-longer-register-cars-in-any-state-because-people-couldnt-stop-doing-crimes/

I'm going to look into creating a VT LLC and using mail forwarding to continue using them.  It's been that handy.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 6:01:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: motoguy] [#8]
Looking at my last post, I may not have updated this.  I gave up on VT altogether.  After some research I decided to try getting a declaration from the court.  More details were posted here:  https://www.ar15.com/forums/hometown/Bonded-title-process-for-vehicle-in-MO-/32-670033/

I noticed on Casenet that the DOR submitted a response to my attorney's petition.  The response basically said "it's not stolen per MO Highway Patrol but it does show a lien placed in 2014.  Here is the info on the lienholder."  I was a bit concerned about that.

Had court on Wednesday.  Turns out it was a nothingburger.  Judge was reading DOR's response and said "I see a lien was placed on the vehicle in 2014."  My attorney responded "Your honor, I'm confident that if we placed Mr Motoguy on the record he would state he purchased the vehicle without a lien of any sort."

Judge signed the judgement, stating no liens or encumbrances of any sort.  I drove directly to the DOR and applied for a title.  Should be here in a week or two.  I've got a parts-only DRZ that was also purchased BOS only.  I plan to submit my own documents (no attorney) this time and complete the process for the DRZ as well.

I'm super stoked.  Turns out VT closing up was a blessing in disguise.  The court method requires no inspections, no VIN verifications, nothing.  Hell, I don't even need proof the vehicle is in my possession (which was mentioned to some of my SoCal friends who have title issues with their bikes).  The caveat of course being "if you try anything stupid you'll likely end up crucified".  So anything I do will be above board.  Still, this opens up a world of possibility in Title-Nazi MO.

I did make the mistake of uttering the words "dirt bike" while at the DOR.  They asked what the mileage on the bike was.  I said "it doesn't have an odometer, it's a dirtbike".  I forgot that a "dirt bike" is different in DOR / legalverse than in common usage.  So they re-did the title (which was being processed as "2wheel", ie, motorcycle) to "dirtbike".  That may have implications after I put all the lights on it and attempt to get it plated.  Note to self:  QUIT SAYING "DIRTBIKE" AT THE DMV.

When I was called up to the counter I stated "I finally jumped through the hoops to get a title for my daughter's motorcycle we bought a year or so ago".  They asked roughly when I bought the bike and what I paid for it, but did not ask for an actual bill of sale.  I presume the judge's order means they can't hang it up over having a BOS or not.  They just need to make sure taxes are paid.  That being said, they may be justified in charging taxes for full book value.

FYI - a year or so ago when I was at the DOR in Lebanon processing a VT title bike.  A lady at the window next to me was stating she paid $500 for a relatively new car from a family member.  The DOR rep stated "for purchases for 50% or less of book value we require a notarized bill of sale".  That's stuck in my mind.  Again, not sure how that would relate to the situation where a judge has ordered them to give a title.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 7:56:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Good info, thanks.  I don't know if I'll ever need to do this again in the future but you never know.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 11:45:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By packinheavy:
Good info, thanks.  I don't know if I'll ever need to do this again in the future but you never know.
View Quote
I'm a bit of a bottom feeder so I'm now actively looking for good deals on vehicles with no titles.  MO is so nazi-ish on title issues that NOT having a title is a good negotiating tool.  Of course everyone says "no big deal, just apply for a lost title!"  If it were indeed that easy, they'd have done it.  ;)

Court costs for filing, paper service, etc is $110 in my county.  So getting a title on any non-stolen vehicle should cost me $110 + sales tax and title fee.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 11:53:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Nothing wrong with being frugal.  
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 1:12:08 PM EDT
[#12]
My boys are looking at 1974 basket case honda xl100 that I bought 20+ years ago to help clear it out of a barn that needed to be emptied.

There is a 1976 Tennessee plate on it. I have handwritten "bill of sale" for $100 written on the back of an envelope.

It was part of a lot of old bikes that had been sitting since the late 70s. Nobody knew who the owners were anymore. Could have been any of 4000+ people who had access to the storage. 20 years ago it was confirmed that many of those possible owners had passed, and now I'd guess about 80% of them are gone.

And still Missouri wants me to find the last owner so my boys can rebuild and plate it.

It's easier buying a wreck on a salvage title.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:59:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Giltweasel:
My boys are looking at 1974 basket case honda xl100 that I bought 20+ years ago to help clear it out of a barn that needed to be emptied.

There is a 1976 Tennessee plate on it. I have handwritten "bill of sale" for $100 written on the back of an envelope.

It was part of a lot of old bikes that had been sitting since the late 70s. Nobody knew who the owners were anymore. Could have been any of 4000+ people who had access to the storage. 20 years ago it was confirmed that many of those possible owners had passed, and now I'd guess about 80% of them are gone.

And still Missouri wants me to find the last owner so my boys can rebuild and plate it.

It's easier buying a wreck on a salvage title.
View Quote

IMO, a situation like this is exactly why the VT route filled a need.  Getting a vehicle that has "fallen out" of the system (or never entered it, in the case of my TTR 230) back into the system and on the road.  And now, knowing of the simplicity of the court ordered route, I'll be using it quite a bit.  It's a great utility.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:17:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Wish I would have know about this a couple years ago. Tracked down my old truck from high school. It was in rough shape but the guy had a title just not in his name. I called the dmv and they told me it was pretty much impossible to get a title. Would have liked to have picked that truck up and redid it with my son. He wants a old ford though and mine was a Chevy
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top