Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/8/2023 11:51:15 AM EDT
My best friends wife wants to take her husband to visit a working gold mine in July. I use to live in AK, but have no connection to mining.
I know the big operations are out. just wondering if you guys knew of a independent operator who would let him come out and see how its done.
He is in the grinding,crushing, and screening business here. Three tub grinders, two crushers and a big trommel screen.

Thanks,
Pelican
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 9:23:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Since you didn’t get an answer I’ll offer this up.

I don’t know any miners personally. But the bar/restaurant/general store/gas station/ laundry mat(yes it’s all the same place)in Central, AK(a town of 36 people 120 miles from fairbanks)is full of gold miners hanging out in the summer. I’ve had great interactions with them and all seem nice enough and eager to share their story.
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 3:20:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Since the shows started, MSHA went from two state inspectors to six. Lotta small time placer miners stopped producing when that happened, or quit hiring and keep their operation one-man or in the family. With MSHA requirements, you have to have the training cert (which your buddy may have, being in the business) but tourists on a mine is a huge liability. The guy who does gold-panning by the pipeline in Fairbanks has a trommel but it’s in the back away from the main operation.

What Rosta says is a good start, or go to Nome to see the historic mining equipment all over. Fairbanks had a mini-museum at Alaska-Land, and may still.
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 11:18:31 PM EDT
[#3]
In Juneau the mining museum really sucks. Don't waste a second on it. Treadwell and the A-J mine sites are all over with ruins and tailings. I have found A LOT of gold in Gold Creek and the Jordan Creek area. Tons left over from the big mines and new gold coming down off the mountains.

I know a few miners with claims and it's just a one or two person operation with an ounce or two a day. Go out twice a week or so and get what you can. I have gotten all I want and it's not enough to make a years pay, but I don't want to work that hard for it. It's hard work and cold in the water, not really worth the gold in money... it's just fun.

Here is a good pan from Gold Creek, this is one run through the trap and we were running about five more a day.

I'm sorry there is no outlet for your request. You can find a tourist trap crap, but I don't know anywhere someone may visit.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 7:21:21 AM EDT
[#4]
the people that run the store are running a mine camp for tourist as well
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top