Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/28/2024 10:39:38 PM EDT
After a poor experience today at my range I'm now looking for a new place to shoot. I'm local to the Kalamazoo area for reference. I want nothing to do with SMGC.

So far I'm considering Paw Paw Conservation Club and another range in the Kent area. Ideally I want to actually be able to use my guns and am tired of fuddy gatekeeping bullshit.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:54:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Black creek conservation club in mt pleasant
https://www.blackcreekrange.com/

Also check out ACTS 2 gun hosted at centerline of calhoun, if your interested in some practical 2 gun matches.
http://www.actshooters.com/
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:10:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By tylermar:
Black creek conservation club in mt pleasant
https://www.blackcreekrange.com/
View Quote

I know this is probably way too far for you, but this is one hell of a range. The new owners are doing amazing work.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 1:19:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Didn't register where he was located when I suggested black creek. The new owners are awesome though, and from my understanding they are working hard to make it even better.

Give Barracks 616 in grand rapids a call, I shoot with a couple of their employees and I'm sure they will have some suggestions for local ranges.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 2:04:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By tylermar:
Didn't register where he was located when I suggested black creek. The new owners are awesome though, and from my understanding they are working hard to make it even better.

Give Barracks 616 in grand rapids a call, I shoot with a couple of their employees and I'm sure they will have some suggestions for local ranges.
View Quote

Will do, I'll definitely be looking at going to centerline for 2 gun this summer though.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 12:52:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By IneptKomodo:

Will do, I'll definitely be looking at going to centerline for 2 gun this summer though.
View Quote

I'll second the ACTS 2 gun matches and Centerline in Bellevue. https://www.centerlineofcalhoun.org/

I'm a member at Cenerline and did a few of the ACTS matches many years ago and enjoyed them.  My only issues with Centerline is the longest range is 100yrd and they are only open Sat & Sun and a few hours on Wed afternoon.  It is a nice place and it has never felt crowded, except during the ACTS matches.

Many years ago I was a member of a club in Hastings, Barry Co Sportsman Club, IIRC.  They had longer ranges, 200yrs+.  I moved out of Barry Co and haven't been back there in over a decade so not sure if that place is still around.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:49:48 AM EDT
[#6]
What rules bother you at SMGC? You should be aware that over twenty years ago a non-member jumped their fence with a SKS rifle and was hip shooting at cans on the ground, skipping rounds downrange and into people's homes.

They nearly lost everything. The person responsible saw the police response on the nightly news and turned himself in. Their club was shuttered for almost a year, and they were required to make very expensive upgrades before reopening.

The local government almost revoked their use permit permanently.

Gun ranges near larger cities have to be good neighbors if they want to stay in their good graces. The Kalamazoo Rod & Gun Club, 7533 N. Sprinkle Rd., Kalamazoo, MI is a great venue. You don't have to be a member to compete in events. They have been sued by "new neighbors" over noise complaints. It doesn't seem to matter that the club has been in operation since the 1930's. The new neighbors wanted the club to curtail weekend shooting! The club is protected under Michigan's grandfather clause as far as noise is concerned, but only one safety violation can close a club forever.

KR&GC has 1500 members. You are not allowed to do magazine dumps. No full-auto firearms and no .50 BMG's. They conduct five CMP tournaments each year, combat handgun events every Wednesday evening, trap/skeet, and I think they are going to run a carbine course or two this year. Their schedule is online.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 1:54:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By borderpatrol:
What rules bother you at SMGC? You should be aware that over twenty years ago a non-member jumped their fence with a SKS rifle and was hip shooting at cans on the ground, skipping rounds downrange and into people's homes.

They nearly lost everything. The person responsible saw the police response on the nightly news and turned himself in. Their club was shuttered for almost a year, and they were required to make very expensive upgrades before reopening.

The local government almost revoked their use permit permanently.

Gun ranges near larger cities have to be good neighbors if they want to stay in their good graces. The Kalamazoo Rod & Gun Club, 7533 N. Sprinkle Rd., Kalamazoo, MI is a great venue. You don't have to be a member to compete in events. They have been sued by "new neighbors" over noise complaints. It doesn't seem to matter that the club has been in operation since the 1930's. The new neighbors wanted the club to curtail weekend shooting! The club is protected under Michigan's grandfather clause as far as noise is concerned, but only one safety violation can close a club forever.

KR&GC has 1500 members. You are not allowed to do magazine dumps. No full-auto firearms and no .50 BMG's. They conduct five CMP tournaments each year, combat handgun events every Wednesday evening, trap/skeet, and I think they are going to run a carbine course or two this year. Their schedule is online.
View Quote

The rules don't bother me, it's the behavior of the members, specifically several of the board. The other day one of the board members took issue with me shooting more than one round per second, first accused me of having a binary trigger in my 2011, then he accused me of shooting too fast because "there's no way I could shoot that fast without being that fucking good", I pointed out my targets were right there, after that he started making up rules that are utter bs about not being allowed to shoot without an RSO, but I have my sss card that lets me do so. He brought up shooting that fast will get the club shut down and that only people in the pistol pit can shoot that fast, which makes no sense that using a different range 200 yards away changes that. The whole time he was yelling and screaming. And he claimed that he was the MI State IDPA champion so he knows better than me, I don't have a clue who the guy actually was.

I want nothing to do with a range where members will run up to a hot range and start yelling. None of my actions were unsafe nor against any of the actual club rules as per their SOPs or constitution.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 1:49:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 6:39:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: STJ] [#9]
KR&GC.  Good club with pubic shooting events.  Action pistol on Wednesdays and just stated two gun on the first Friday of the month.

I also go to Barry county for public shoots.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top