Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/2/2024 8:56:17 PM EDT
If this passes and I were an ffl there is no way I would accept firearms from someone having a mental health emergency. Why?

Subject having a mental health emergency brings firearms to me. I take them in per the provisions of the legislation.

The subject decides, screw it, I’m done. Comes back to me and says his emergency is over and I return his firearms.

He goes home and commits suicide, or worse, commits a mass shooting before offing himself.

I am immediately subject to a law suit because I provided him with his weapons.

So,

Why don’t they write the legislation so the subject can provide their firearms to a mental health professional? Who better to be able to determine a persons mental state? A psychiatrist or a minimum wage FFL employee?

Because it is a trap from the beginning. It is not about helping people or preventing suicide. It’s about destroying ffls.

That’s just my opinion man…
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 9:17:34 PM EDT
[#1]
You would be basically red flagging yourself.  The red flag laws in Oregon even prevent testimony from a mental health professional.  How in the hell is a FFL supposed to know it's alright to give firearms back?

Here's the link to the OFF ALERT
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 3:11:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Piratepast40:
You would be basically red flagging yourself.  The red flag laws in Oregon even prevent testimony from a mental health professional.  How in the hell is a FFL supposed to know it's alright to give firearms back?

Here's the link to the OFF ALERT
View Quote

One of the techniques of an oppressive government is to write so many confusing laws that you are guilty no matter what you do. They paint you into a corner and tell you the paint is dry then convict you of stepping on the wet paint.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 7:31:07 PM EDT
[#3]
So this bill passed. I am not an attorney, or even that smart, but if I were an ffl I would have the person bringing in the firearms sign a storage agreement. On that storage agreement I would be clear that the person will need a release from a mental health professional to pick up the firearms.

I think fundamentally it is a good idea to allow people to have a safe place to put firearms when needed for these reason.

What is a glaring deficiency of this measure is under what circumstances the firearms can be released and what potential liability the FFL takes on in doing so.

Best of luck to all of you.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 7:19:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top