Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/7/2024 6:33:10 PM EDT
Another CT firearms related bill introduced.

HB-5467 An Act Concerning Firearms Background Checks

Raised Bill (doc)

Public Hearing 03/13

Statement of Purpose:

To ensure employees and authorized agents of municipal, state or federal agencies involved in evaluating the proposed transfer of a firearm to a person under age twenty-one in this state or any other state have access to records of cases of juvenile matters involving delinquency proceedings.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 4:33:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Update on this one, it received a Joint Favorable from the Judiciary Committee. So it moves forward in the bill process.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:46:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Movement on HB 5467 An Act Concerning Firearms Background Checks.

To ensure employees and authorized agents of municipal, state or federal agencies involved in evaluating the proposed transfer of a firearm to a person under age twenty-one in this state or any other state have access to records of cases of juvenile matters involving delinquency proceedings.

Bill History:

4/16/2024 (LCO) File Number 516

4/16/2024 House Calendar Number 354

4/16/2024 Favorable Report, Tabled for the Calendar, House

4/16/2024 (LCO) Reported Out of Legislative Commissioners' Office

Text of Bill:

JUD Joint Favorable (doc)

Language being added indicated in bold.

(D) the evaluation of a proposed transfer of a firearm to a person under the age of twenty-one in this state or any other state, as required by Title II, Section 12001 of the Bipartisan Safer Communities Act, Public Law 117-159, as amended from time to time.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 7:40:04 AM EDT
[#3]
conn gun laws laws are truely unconstitution if you think about it, where a law abiding citizen cannot even buy a bullet without a background check...Is that what the founders wanted?
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 3:09:06 PM EDT
[#4]
So, if someone does something bad when there're under 18 they will not get their carry permit?
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 3:38:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By M4A2:
So, if someone does something bad when there're under 18 they will not get their carry permit?
View Quote

Generally you have to be 21 or older to get a pistol permit.

The language appears to read as follows: "records of cases of juvenile matters involving delinquency proceedings shall be available" to "employees and authorized agents of municipal, state or federal agencies involved in" ... "the evaluation of a proposed transfer of a firearm to a person under the age of twenty-one in this state or any other state, as required by Title II, Section 12001 of the Bipartisan Safer Communities Act, Public Law 117-159, as amended from time to time."
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 4:04:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Ya we all know that the no firearms for 18 / 19 / 20 year olds is illegal. I was getting at being under 18 if the person does something wrong this can be held against them from exercising their 2nd Amendment Right. With when being 18 this all would've been wiped and start new. Now seems with this law, nope. Everything you did when you were ten or fifteen will be held against you.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 5:00:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sbhaven] [#7]
Ya we all know that the no firearms for 18 / 19 / 20 year olds is illegal. I was getting at being under 18 if the person does something wrong this can be held against them from exercising their 2nd Amendment Right. With when being 18 this all would've been wiped and start new. Now seems with this law, nope. Everything you did when you were ten or fifteen will be held against you.
View Quote

18-20 year old's in CT can have certain long guns with a long gun purchase certificate. They just cannot buy handguns because the pistol permit/eligibility certificate is 21 or older. As the language I posted indicates this seems to apply to the proposed transfer of a firearm to someone under 21 years of age. I assume this will be used to prohibit long gun transfers to 18-20 year old's both in CT and outside of CT if there are certain crimes they committed while they were adolescents (under 18). This is likely aimed at inner city youths who have a rap sheet before the age of 18.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 7:22:44 PM EDT
[#8]
View Quote

Assuming they use a diversionary program like youthful offender or accelerated rehabilitation the arrest "never happened"
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 8:27:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Leon82:

Assuming they use a diversionary program like youthful offender or accelerated rehabilitation the arrest "never happened"
View Quote

This proposal is to allow access to sealed juvenile records for NICS purposes and allows those records to be accessed for that purpose. It's effectively a state "copy" of federal language that was passed in the not too distant past to allow access to similar records for NICS purposes (and to allow an extended delay period to access them).
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 8:30:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By sbhaven:

18-20 year old's in CT can have certain long guns with a long gun purchase certificate. They just cannot buy handguns because the pistol permit/eligibility certificate is 21 or older. As the language I posted indicates this seems to apply to the proposed transfer of a firearm to someone under 21 years of age. I assume this will be used to prohibit long gun transfers to 18-20 year old's both in CT and outside of CT if there are certain crimes they committed while they were adolescents (under 18). This is likely aimed at inner city youths who have a rap sheet before the age of 18.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sbhaven:

Certain CT juvenile convictions have always been disqualifying (at a minimum in state)

Unfortunately (as I have learned a couple of times recently) there are also some "kids" who are over 18 who are still involved in the juvenile system.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top