Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2023 2:40:17 PM EDT
The family and I (wife and 17yr old and 13yrold) are coming to Anchorage Feb 15-20. Don't plan on doing a lot in Anchorage but that was the cheapest to fly into and stay. With that were is the best inexpensive place to stay in Anchorage? Planning to go to Palmer snowmobiling and other activities.
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 3:43:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Anchorage isn’t Alaska. But you can see Alaska from there.

If you need snowmachine rentals check out https://aktoyrentals.com/

Some public use cabins in chugach state park if you want a little adventure. Accessibility varies.

https://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/aspunits/chugach/chugachindex.htm
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 4:23:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Agree, Anchorage is not AK and I have only been there one other time. We will only be there 4 days, so pretty quick trip, but it was cheaper to come up there from MS than to go to CO or somewhere else out west.

Thanks for the advice and link to the cabins, not sure if the wife and daughter are up to that in Feb but may son and I are talking about coming back up for a week or 2 this summer for his senior trip instead of going to a beach somewhere. Will definitely save the link for that.
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 1:48:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Aspen hotel is not bad place.

We stay there a lot because of the Alaskan discount.
Can be full if high school sports are going on.
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 4:10:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Don’t get any hotel on or near Spenard. Most of the ones downtown are okay, and the ones on C st can be hit or miss with more misses than hits. An AirBnB might be a good option out in the valley.
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 6:26:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don’t get any hotel on or near Spenard. Most of the ones downtown are okay, and the ones on C st can be hit or miss with more misses than hits. An AirBnB might be a good option out in the valley.
View Quote

Like Scrambler07 said, I'd recommend an Air B&B. The inexpensive hotels here (other than the drug dens on Spenard) cater to people flying in from around the state for medical procedures, conferences, ect. They generally come from dry areas (can't drink) and then go all out in their hotel rooms that they aren't paying for. The police have a lot of calls for service (DV assaults, drunks, disorderly conduct, ect) almost nightly on some of the bigger-brand hotels. In February, I'm guessing the Air B&B rates should be fairly decent.
Link Posted: 10/26/2023 7:20:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Anchorage sucks in the winter. It sucks slightly less in the summer.

If you're looking for cheap and convenient, the Alex Hotel is by the airport and pretty reasonable... If you don't look anyone in the eye, and don't mind smelling like weed

Apart from that, I'd recommend a hotel outside Anch, in the Palmer/Wasilla area.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 11:04:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Thank you for all the suggestions so far. I have booked cabin/airbnb in palmer for every night except the day we fly in the night before we fly out.

Keep the suggestions coming.
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 2:16:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Anchorage sucks in the winter. It sucks slightly less in the summer.

If you're looking for cheap and convenient, the Alex Hotel is by the airport and pretty reasonable... If you don't look anyone in the eye, and don't mind smelling like weed

Apart from that, I'd recommend a hotel outside Anch, in the Palmer/Wasilla area.
View Quote

Alex Hotel in Spenard would provide an authentic Anchorage experience. The city is booking rooms there for the homeless.

I suggest looking at some of the hotels in midtown Anchorage associated with the major hotel brands. There are lot of rooms off C Street between 36th and International that were built to take advantage of cruise ship traffic.

Read reviews before booking in Alaska. There are no standards for hotels in the state. You get what you pay for.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top