Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2023 4:10:37 PM EDT
Just saying hey. Up in Eagle River area for bout 12 days visiting family.
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 8:07:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Welcome fellow firearm enthusiast.
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 8:28:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Welcome, enjoy your visit! What are you plans while you are here?
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 9:56:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Enjoy dem icy roads.

My daughter and husband live in ER. I've always been curious why in hell the borough doesn't scrape those roads, but oh well. AWD for the win.

Enjoy your stay, head to the nature center. Might have some decent aurora stuff too, join the parade and head to bald.
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 9:59:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Well we drove the highway to Eagle River to grocery shop. On the way saw our first wild Moose and turned around for pictures. Had an army convoy pass us, which reminds me of the days growing up down South. We don't get convoys near Detroit.
Heading to Anchorage tomorrow to checkout Earth Quake Park and Coastal Trail.
Sunday after church is the Nature Center.
Aiming to hit Barbara Falls, Anchorage Zoo, Seward, do a boat your, Thunder Bird Falls, Native American Museum and several other things.
Also going to stop at a gun store to discuss 10mms for my sister and brother in law.
@czechsix
What do you mean by join the parade and head to the Bald?
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 10:05:06 PM EDT
[#5]
If you get time go to the Matanuska Valley Sportsmen indoor shooting range.  Good indoor fun!
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 10:07:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well we drove the highway to Eagle River to grocery shop. On the way saw our first wild Moose and turned around for pictures. Had an army convoy pass us, which reminds me of the days growing up down South. We don't get convoys near Detroit.
Aiming to hit Barbara Falls, Anchorage Zoo, Seward, do a boat your, Thunder Bird Falls, Native American Museum and several other things.
Also going to stop at a gun store to discuss 10mms for my sister and brother in law.
View Quote
Yeah, that convoy passed us in the valley also. Saw them going one way, hour and a half later saw the recovery rigs dragging one of the hmmwv's back, lol.

Czech out Arctic Valley too.  Mebbe Girdwood, depending on conditions.

Whaddya want to know about 10mms stuff? Only ER shops I know are...ehhhhh. There's a good shop on palmer-wasilla in the valley. Arctic Ammo around Shennum.

ETA: Just saw your post, bald is where everyone in ER goes to watch the aurora. Gets packed with folks that don't turn their headlights off, and piss everyone else off lol.

Link Posted: 3/25/2023 11:32:08 AM EDT
[#7]
The biggest Army training event of the year kicks off today so you can expect a lot of military traffic heading to/from fairbanks and delta.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 2:21:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Hope you have a great time!  For gun window shopping: Sportsman's Warehouse in either ANC or Wasilla; Three Bears on Knik-Goose Bay Road, Pittman Road, and Palmer-Wasilla Hwy. {Just down the road from Arctic Ammo} (I'm not familiar with the shops in ANC.)

If they are looking for a holster for their new bad boy, Diamond D Leather is across the street (Hwy.) from Wendy's in Wasilla.
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 1:33:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the gun stores to check out.
I gave my sister and brother-in-law a S&W K frame .357 mag when they moved here. They told me they have been researching the S&W 2.0 in 10mm. They have heard that the 10mm is recommended for these neck of the woods. I don't believe they have handled the pistol yet, just seen things mentioned online.
Enjoying this State so far. I'll lived in Southern Michigan for 16 years and have never seen snow like this. It's amazing.
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 7:48:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Do your folks reload or only use factory ammo?

Edit: What is their time line for making a purchase?
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 7:25:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
@czechsix
What do you mean by join the parade and head to the Bald?
View Quote
I live just outside of Eagle River what store are you guys shopping at? Boondocks is okay but they don't take credit/debit cards only cash. Gun cache over by the DMV is my favorite. I really like the owner there. 3 bears in Chugiak isn't bad for a wholesale store with a hunting/firearms/sporting good section crammed into a corner.
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 8:38:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Well, we ran out of time for me to go to any gun stores while I was in Alaska. I did pass all the info on the my Brother in law. He said they will be in Wasilla this weekend and will check one of those stores out.
They will be buying factory ammo. Not 100% sure on their time line on getting the gun.
Ya'll have a beautiful State. I really hated to leave it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top