Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/18/2023 11:40:17 PM EDT
I’ll be staying at Alyeska for a week in June and I would love to do a serious day hike, preferably at high elevation. I’m willing to do several thousand feet in elevation gain. Does anyone have some recommendations? This will be my first time in Alaska so I really want to make it count. I’ll have my 10mm handy so I’m willing to get off the beaten path.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 9:38:12 AM EDT
[#1]
https://www.alaska.org/detail/crow-pass-trail

One of the more popular ones.

It’s only 3,000ish feet but it’s a hard 3,000 ft for mount marathon down in Seward. Might be worth the drive. Views from the top are spectacular(see my avatar).
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 7:47:25 PM EDT
[#2]
About 100 miles north of Anchorage are open ground ATV trails used for caribou hunting.  Pretty good views and a serious hike.  This ATV trip was a good 50 miles plus.

The one I am familiar with - the monument trail - is about 1-2 miles north of Eureka Lodge, west side of highway at that huge pullout.  The old timer showing us the trail had a 10mm glock in a chest rig, and asked us permission to blast a black bear to retrieve the next day if he saw a good one.

Just plan on extreme weather from warm and dry to cold and freezing rain within an afternoon.  One of the few times I got seriously hypothermic, going through the rain in the last pic.

Caribou kept following us around looking at us from hilltops.  Curious critters, just wondering what we were up to.

that Alaska.org hiking website is pretty cool.  I wish I saw that site 10 years ago.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top