Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/16/2023 6:37:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PerfectTurn]
Hey all!  It’s been a while since I’ve been to the islands but I wanted to reach out to you hometown guys to get some insight.

I’ll have 2 days on Maui, 9 days on the big island and 2 days on Oahu. I’ve covered nearly all of Oahu previously but the Arizona was closed at the time, so I’m going back to visit her.

What I’m really looking for is

1) areas of historical military significance. It doesn’t have to be a museum or a tourist trap. It could be just a plot of land or area that I could go and just “feel”. It could be a marker on the side of the road. It could be a museum.

2) suggestions on cheap places to stay on Oahu and Maui, I’m literally just looking for shut eye, don’t even need facilities, could car sleep, but I know there’s laws around that. I’ll probably stay in the national park campgrounds in Maui, but other suggestions are welcome. As for Oahu, I got nothing.

3) must eats on Maui and the big island.

Hopefully this gives you a good idea of what I’m hunting for. Feel free to email or IM me as well. Happy to buy a beer for anyone willing to meet up! Normal average outgoing midwesterner here!

Thank you!
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 5:24:47 PM EDT
[#1]
On the Big Island (assuming you are on the Kona side) go here: https://www.nps.gov/puho/index.htm

Also visit https://www.nps.gov/puhe/index.htm

There is a field of petroglyphs near Pu`ukohola at Puako.  The Ranger at Pu`ukohola should be able to give you directions.

Pop up to Waimea and have lunch and a couple of beers at the Big Island Brew Haus.

Link Posted: 5/18/2023 12:48:56 AM EDT
[#2]
@perfectturn

Where on Big Island will you be staying?  Don't know about military stuff here, but I like to eat.  Here are some places you might try.

Kona: Umeke's for poke and the like.  After that I'd say pick whatever along Ali'i Dr. looks appealing.  For me none of those joints are a must, though none I'd say to avoid either.

Waikoloa Resort area: Waikoloa Luxury Cinemas for good pizza or burger.

Waimea: Big Island Brewhaus for the in-house beer.  Food is good enough.  Red Water Cafe or Fish & The Hog if food selection is more important than beer.

Hilo I never go to.  But can ask around for you.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 4:56:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Brundoggie:
On the Big Island (assuming you are on the Kona side) go here: https://www.nps.gov/puho/index.htm

Also visit https://www.nps.gov/puhe/index.htm

There is a field of petroglyphs near Pu`ukohola at Puako.  The Ranger at Pu`ukohola should be able to give you directions.

Pop up to Waimea and have lunch and a couple of beers at the Big Island Brew Haus.

View Quote

@brundoggie thank you so much for these. They are officially added to my list. This is exactly what I was after!!
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 4:58:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Media_Noche:
@perfectturn

Where on Big Island will you be staying?  Don't know about military stuff here, but I like to eat.  Here are some places you might try.

Kona: Umeke's for poke and the like.  After that I'd say pick whatever along Ali'i Dr. looks appealing.  For me none of those joints are a must, though none I'd say to avoid either.

Waikoloa Resort area: Waikoloa Luxury Cinemas for good pizza or burger.

Waimea: Big Island Brewhaus for the in-house beer.  Food is good enough.  Red Water Cafe or Fish & The Hog if food selection is more important than beer.

Hilo I never go to.  But can ask around for you.
View Quote

@Media_Noche you are awesome, thank you!! My friend is going, I’m going to ask her where she’s got accommodations. I do know it’s an Airbnb type place. I just didn’t want to ask and sound like I was picky since it’s a no cost trip for me on the boarding side of things. I have to imagine it’s in the ‘popular’ area knowing her. Will report back!
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 12:08:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By PerfectTurn:

@Media_Noche you are awesome, thank you!! My friend is going, I’m going to ask her where she’s got accommodations. I do know it’s an Airbnb type place. I just didn’t want to ask and sound like I was picky since it’s a no cost trip for me on the boarding side of things. I have to imagine it’s in the ‘popular’ area knowing her. Will report back!
View Quote

You're welcome.  Let me know where you'll be and I'll see what other tips can be provided.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 2:43:11 PM EDT
[#6]

You're welcome.  Let me know where you'll be and I'll see what other tips can be provided.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Same here.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 3:13:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ZippZ] [#7]
Hawaii island - kealakekua Bay (captain cook). Where capt cook discovered Hawaii and died in a battle.  Good for kayaking or snorkeling.

Also if you are military kmr cabins near Kilauea volcano is cheap and good place to stay.

Maui - Iao valley site of the great war between Kamehameha and Maui army's.  Reservation req.

There's a lot of public, commercial, and military campgrounds on the islands.  Buy a cheap tent or rent a cabin.  Just check the reviews for homeless encampments for the beach parks.

Link Posted: 5/20/2023 9:36:37 PM EDT
[#8]

Same here.
View Quote

@brundoggie and @media_noche looks like Keaau it is!
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 10:11:30 PM EDT
[#9]

View Quote

I'm basically on the other side of the island where I spend about zero time.  But I'm guessing you'll have a rental car and circumnavigate this place.

The botanical garden near Hilo is worth it.  Volcano National Park too.  Waipeo Valley for scenic view.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 10:23:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PerfectTurn] [#10]
@media_noche yep you got it we always cover every square inch no matter how far away we are. We usually don’t have a problem driving for five hours a day, even if it’s just commuting to another spot.

Appreciate the tip on the botanical garden. We will definitely put that on the list. The national park is heavy on my list as my first goal was to visit all 50 states which I have done and now I am finishing up the national parks which was the main goal for me personally coming back to HI. And to visit Arizona.

One of our favorite things to do honestly is be around friendly locals (or tourists is fine) but in a medium sized intimate setting having drinks. We are both extremely extroverted and social.

ETA: just did some brief reading on Cook. Wild story, thanks for mentioning!
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 8:21:09 AM EDT
[#11]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Same here.

Yeah, that's about 2 hours from me and I never get down that way.  That part of the island is very "local".
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 9:29:45 AM EDT
[#12]

Yeah, that's about 2 hours from me and I never get down that way.  That part of the island is very "local".
View Quote

Thanks @brundoggie , that’s okay, the island is extremely small compared to the western mainland, so everything on that island is local to me
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 6:41:18 PM EDT
[#13]
@media_noche yep you got it we always cover every square inch no matter how far away we are. We usually don’t have a problem driving for five hours a day, even if it’s just commuting to another spot.

Appreciate the tip on the botanical garden. We will definitely put that on the list. The national park is heavy on my list as my first goal was to visit all 50 states which I have done and now I am finishing up the national parks which was the main goal for me personally coming back to HI. And to visit Arizona.

One of our favorite things to do honestly is be around friendly locals (or tourists is fine) but in a medium sized intimate setting having drinks. We are both extremely extroverted and social.

ETA: just did some brief reading on Cook. Wild story, thanks for mentioning!
View Quote

If you wanna grab a beer drop me a PM and we can figure something out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top