Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/2/2024 12:16:27 AM EDT
After 7 years of looking I finally found some land and purchased it out in the Bliss area, its 20 acres and subdivided into four five acre plots. I'm in the Army and have a couple years until I can retire and like the title would lead you to believe I'm looking to build, does anyone in this forum have any experience building in Idaho or the Magic Valley area?
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 4:53:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I find the general state of construction here to be absolutely dismal. It's like they are 50 years backwards on things, you can forget about shit being done by spec and code. I have lived here for 5 years, I have been on about a thousand roofs in that time from regular homes clear up to multi million dollar custom builds. I have yet to see roof done to spec and code. I just fixed an arfcommers roof that was barely 2 years old and leaking. Why was it leaking you ask? well the guys didn't roof to spec or code.

My work was inspected a minimum of 1 times per job upwards of 4 times per roof job, here your roof will not get inspected and the roofing contractors here are a joke and excuse away their shit work. I cut my teeth roofing in a place that got  2-4 times more precipitation than here, if your shit wasn't done to spec it would leak. I can provide photos if you need and can also tell you the simple things even you can see yourself to make sure these dipshits don't screw it up.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 5:31:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By CaliContractor:
I find the general state of construction here to be absolutely dismal. It's like they are 50 years backwards on things, you can forget about shit being done by spec and code. I have lived here for 5 years, I have been on about a thousand roofs in that time from regular homes clear up to multi million dollar custom builds. I have yet to see roof done to spec and code. I just fixed an arfcommers roof that was barely 2 years old and leaking. Why was it leaking you ask? well the guys didn't roof to spec or code.

My work was inspected a minimum of 1 times per job upwards of 4 times per roof job, here your roof will not get inspected and the roofing contractors here are a joke and excuse away their shit work. I cut my teeth roofing in a place that got  2-4 times more precipitation than here, if your shit wasn't done to spec it would leak. I can provide photos if you need and can also tell you the simple things even you can see yourself to make sure these dipshits don't screw it up.
View Quote

@CaliContractor

What part of idaho are you in?
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 5:35:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Treasure valley on the West side. Mostly retired now but pick up repair work for friends.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 1:41:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Tag for future reference.  My roof is getting old.  
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 9:07:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 3:25:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I've gotten some response from local builders and getting a rough cost per square foot. I really need to figure out what I'm doing my life work wise when I get out but I'm still 2 years out from retirement and can push as needed for building.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 12:43:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Eukatae:

But if you need a good brick mason I know one :)
View Quote

@Eukatae  Does he live here now?
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 4:51:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top