Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/22/2024 9:33:05 PM EDT
Wife and I are planning to buy a place in Florida this fall but still can't decide where.

Anybody familiar with Cape Coral?  Is that a good place as far as family friendly?  Don't care about schools, we take care of that.

Any pros / cons that you all can share?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:09:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Never heard of it.

Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:05:26 PM EDT
[#2]
AVOID IT LIKE THE PLAGUE !

Too many Cubans.  Too many illegals.
Traffic is horrible.  Infrastructure cannot handle the population.  227K and growing.
Duplexes and apartments Going up everywhere.  In residential neighborhoods Too.
We were tired of the hurricanes.  We rode out Ian.  Cat 5, never again.
Electric and water, too expensive.  Homeowners insurance is very high since Irma and Ian.
We lived there for 20 years.  Left last November.  Couldn't get out fast enough.
We all worked for either the city, schools district, or hospital.  We know the inside scoop that they try to hide from the public.
Do yourself a favor, and stay away from SW Fl.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:14:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:51:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Cape Cardiac, had lots of fun out there years ago,  not so much now as the place has boomed into the weird housing situation as mentioned. Hate paying tolls to get off or on the island to access Ft. Misery, traffic sucks as is common for the sw coast in general. Personally, it wouldn't be a move i would make or would be way down on my list.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 12:47:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Oh yeh, is Cape Coral the one where you have to go over the bridge?

Me tinks you can spend some extra time on the bridge, but it's been awhile.

Beach is nice if not crowded.

I don't even go to the beach anymore.

Take my plastic chair and go to the woods.

Love it when a critter gives me attention.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 1:08:59 PM EDT
[#6]
My family has lived in Lee county for ten generations. We're all leaving Florida.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:05:29 AM EDT
[#7]
We have been looking to buy a house on the west coast of FL too. Best stay out of flood zones. It's not an easy task. Once you find your area of interest, order a topographic map from the USGS which show highs and lows. Realtor.com and Redfin have environment ratings, but not always accurate. Best wishes on your search.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:34:09 PM EDT
[#8]
The only redeeming quality the cape has is you can be in Bokeelia at the ramp with your boat in around 30 minutes to an hour.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:25:13 AM EDT
[#9]
I left Cape Coma in 2009 and will be happy if I never see it again. It sucked then, I can only imagine how it is now.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:17:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Sister in law lives there in the SW on a saltwater canal. I like it there.

Get a house on the water connected to the river, the closer to the river the better
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 1:20:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Four quadrants and they are all different in terms of homes and demographics.

If you boat you are going to want to make sure you are on a saltwater canal vs freshwater and that you have gulf access.

Link Posted: 4/30/2024 8:53:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Switchback_Arms:
Wife and I are planning to buy a place in Florida this fall but still can't decide where.

Anybody familiar with Cape Coral?  Is that a good place as far as family friendly?  Don't care about schools, we take care of that.

Any pros / cons that you all can share?

Thanks!
View Quote

You might like Venice, Fl better, just a little north of Cape Coral.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top