Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2023 8:32:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Switchback_Arms]
I drove through some of Oklahoma earlier this year and was pleasantly surprised.

My homeschooling family of 4 kids is looking for a place to setup.

Can anybody tell me about northeastern Oklahoma?

Been eyeballing some properties around Nowata and Vinita.

Just want somewhere with low crime and plenty of outdoor space.  Ideally wooded and hilly.

What say all you?

Also looking across the border in Missouri if anybody knows that area.
Link Posted: 9/22/2023 9:14:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By Switchback_Arms:
I drove through some of Oklahoma earlier this year and was pleasantly surprised.

My homeschooling family of 4 kids is looking for a place to setup.

Can anybody tell me about northeastern Oklahoma?

Been eyeballing some properties around Nowata and Vinita.

Just want somewhere with low crime and plenty of outdoor space.  Ideally wooded and hilly.

What say all you?

Also looking across the border in Missouri if anybody knows that area.
View Quote

Missouri has better hunting and fishing but is a bit more liberal. Oklahoma especially the SE area where I live still has a very it’s who you know and who you pay Le system with the poorest GW enforcement around. Poacher’s rule here. But some of our small public schools are still very conservative and if you have a NA card they really work with the home school program. I don’t know about otherwise the only kid I know that does the homeschool program is enrolled with the Choctaw program and he still goes to school for sports functions and standardized testing. Good luck with your property search.
Link Posted: 9/22/2023 7:38:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 10:36:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dclark77:
Vinita is getting a large amusement park in the future.

https://www.kosu.org/news/2023-07-19/oklahoma-officials-developers-announce-2-billion-theme-park-and-resort-in-vinita

View Quote

Interesting, wonder if that'd make it a good investment
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 10:17:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PNW_Steve] [#4]
Good Morning,

We moved to LeFlore County a little over a year ago. We left a rural farming community in Washington State.

While there are significantly more people here than the county I moved from, it feels far more "country" here. We found 40 acres with about 30 of it wooded. It has a small creek that runs through it.

We LOVE it here. We have so many genuinely friendly and generous people. The climate is good. A little warm in the Summer but not nearly as bad as where we lived in AZ. The Winter had a little cold snap. But, again, not even close to the cold we had in ID and WA.

Eastern Oklahoma is a beautiful place. Very "Homestead" friendly.

If you decide to move here..... Take a long look at where you are moving from....And leave it behind!

Please don't Californicate Oklahoma!

Edit:   Not saying you are from CA. Just borrowing the phrase :)

Link Posted: 10/30/2023 8:33:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Born and raised in Miami, went to college at NEO and NSU in Tahlequah. I’ll let you in on a secret: Fort Gibson has the lowest crime rates of any small town in NE Oklahoma, is smack dab in the middle of thousands of acres of public hunting land, and the community is very involved.

Extra: Tahlequah is growing very quickly, and the crime rates are declining.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top