Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/2/2024 7:53:31 AM EDT
I'm in PA, will be moving to NJ soon.

How long does it take to get FID from the day of app submission?

If I bring a 9mm handgun with me that also has a 22LR conversion slide/mag, what do I have to register?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 10:05:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: KnuckleSandwich] [#1]
Originally Posted By bozuyan:

If I bring a 9mm handgun with me that also has a 22LR conversion slide/mag, what do I have to register?

Thanks!
View Quote

You don't have to register anything. You just can't bring with you any prohibited items including, magazines greater than 10 rounds, "assault weapons," and freedom.

You don't need a FPID to bring your guns. A FPID is for purchasing new firearms and is a prerequisite to your NJ CCW permit (I think, might be wrong on that one). The process length will depend on your local municipality, but it is much shorter than the old days. Someone who has more recent experience will chime in with accurate timeframes, but I'd expect it in less than 90 days.

EDIT: Wow! Not sure how it's even possible or legal, but NJ sucks even more than it used to.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 10:28:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By KnuckleSandwich:

You don't have to register anything. You just can't bring with you any prohibited items including, magazines greater than 10 rounds, "assault weapons," and freedom.

You don't need a FPID to bring your guns. A FPID is for purchasing new firearms and is a prerequisite to your NJ CCW permit (I think, might be wrong on that one). The process length will depend on your local municipality, but it is much shorter than the old days. Someone who has more recent experience will chime in with accurate timeframes, but I'd expect it in less than 90 days.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bozuyan:

Thanks!

There's a new law from last year that requires all new residents to register their handguns within 60 days of moving into the state. The 22lr conversion won't need to be registered since it's not a handgun. As for how long it'll take for the FID, it depends on the town you're moving to. The law is 30 days for the FID to be issued but some towns are taking months to do so.

More info here from reddit:

ALL New NJ Residents after 2.1.23 | MANDATORY Handgun Registration & FPIC Card

NOTE: This does NOT apply to current residents or anyone who was a resident before 2/1/2023.

Summary:

This applies to all new residents, who have established NJ residency AFTER 2/1/23.

The NJSP Website FAQs are out of date and incorrect.

Only handguns need to be registered within 60 days, NOT LONG GUNS.

New Residents need to apply within 60 days for a FPIC, Firearms Owners Purchaser Identification Card, in order to possess firearms acquired before NJ residency. Essentially it is now a FID, as new residents need it for simple possession whereas in the past it was only for new long gun purchases.

THIS NEW LAW IT TO MAKE SURE ALL NEW RESIDENTS ARE GIVEN THE SAME 2A RECTAL EXAM AS OTHER NJ RESIDENTS.

link

How long does my police department have to process my application? FIPC | Pistol Purchase Permits | Permit to Carry a Handgun

NOTE: While the statute has a specific set number of days, unfortunately there is no means of legal recourse if your PD takes longer than the prescribed timeframe, however after the appropriate time has passed it is suggested you contact your PD and if needed write a letter to your police chief. Keep a log book of when the application was submitted, when references responded and all other communication with your police department during the process.

link

Link Posted: 4/2/2024 5:47:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Why would you move there? Couldn't you just commute?
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 11:42:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Demeroma] [#4]

EDIT: Wow! Not sure how it's even possible or legal, but NJ sucks even more than it used to.
View Quote

It's legal because the Democrat majority legislature pushed their bill and the Democrat governor signed it into law. Just because its legal doesn't make it right or constitutional. Yep, NJ sux.

@bozuyan, I just noticed this was your very first post on Arfcom. Welcome. I don't know your situation but as Tallest mentioned above, it may not be a bad idea for you to commute from PA if possible.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 11:42:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the warm welcome and detailed advice.

I'm moving PA -> NJ to attend to elderly and ill family member.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 11:49:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Failing to register your handguns after establishing is a civil penalty of $250, comparable to something like a parking ticket. Do what you will with that information.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 6:16:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bozuyan] [#7]

Failing to register your handguns after establishing is a civil penalty of $250, comparable to something like a parking ticket. Do what you will with that information.
View Quote

Thanks!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top