Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2024 4:28:07 PM EDT
Hey, so I've signed up for the Warfighter Challenge this year. I would like to get as prepared as I can. Outside of getting my PT up, Is there a link for what I should know how to do?

I'm in Louisville, and there doesn't seem to be any active APC anymore.

I can drive a couple hours each way for events, but my work and family schedule generally wont allow for really far drives, aside from the planned week I'm taking off for the challenge.

I have access to backwoods areas with cliffs for  rappelling. I have plenty of ranges to shoot at.  I'm planning on signing up for an Appleseed in Feb or March.

Any guidance would be appreciated!

Link Posted: 1/1/2024 5:49:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Post a hike in hometown.

Watch for people in your state expressing interest in APC.

@ those people.

Do fun shit. People show up for a short time for the hikes until the juice isn't worth the squeeze.

Things like stop the bleed, radio, marksmanship etc.

Try to do something monthly.  Even if it's JUST YOU show up and do it for yourself.
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 5:53:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Notcalifornialegal] [#2]
Also talk to people in your circle, church, family, friends etc.. Go to shooting competitions, cola warrior etc and just talk to people about what you're trying to do.
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 5:56:10 PM EDT
[#3]
@CreativeBall
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 6:11:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: USMC2671] [#4]
Start off by getting the Pioneer Task Book.  Much of what you need to know and what skills you need to development are in there.  https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-Task-Book-American-Corps/dp/B09FS2VKHT

Forget about the rappelling but do know how to tie all the knots in the Pioneer Task Book as well as how to make rope pulley systems.
Get familiar with a Five Paragraph Order.
Know land navigation, in the dark in tough terrain.

Do whatever you need to do to toughen your feet. Make sure your footwear fits well and it broken in.  Shorter hikes with a heavier load to get used to that would be advised.

Know that you will need to pack what is on the gear list and from the start of the ruck you will need to carry everything you intend to use throughout the event.  You may also have to carry other items provided when you get there.  Unless you got some really lightweight gear the pack alone will easily exceed 35lbs.
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 11:23:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Notcalifornialegal:
@CreativeBall
View Quote

I'm working on those things. Ive recently attended my first two shooting competitions.  I've got a set of friends I do outdoor stuff with already. I'm just hoping to add some skills to what I do already.
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 11:27:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By USMC2671:
Start off by getting the Pioneer Task Book.  Much of what you need to know and what skills you need to development are in there.  https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-Task-Book-American-Corps/dp/B09FS2VKHT

Forget about the rappelling but do know how to tie all the knots in the Pioneer Task Book as well as how to make rope pulley systems.
Get familiar with a Five Paragraph Order.
Know land navigation, in the dark in tough terrain.

Do whatever you need to do to toughen your feet. Make sure your footwear fits well and it broken in.  Shorter hikes with a heavier load to get used to that would be advised.

Know that you will need to pack what is on the gear list and from the start of the ruck you will need to carry everything you intend to use throughout the event.  You may also have to carry other items provided when you get there.  Unless you got some really lightweight gear the pack alone will easily exceed 35lbs.
View Quote

Thanks for the book link.  I think thats probably what I need to get started reviewing.
I just did a 5.5 mile trail hike with my 45lb 3-day bag earlier today. Trail was a muddy mountain bike trail, 18min miles avg. My Garmin says I did the equivalent of 55 stories up and down.
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 11:31:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By CreativeBall:

I'm working on those things. Ive recently attended my first two shooting competitions.  I've got a set of friends I do outdoor stuff with already. I'm just hoping to add some skills to what I do already.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
@CreativeBall

Awesome keep us posted, ask questions and let us know what works.  Looking forward to seeing you at Warfighter.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 9:49:16 AM EDT
[#8]

Awesome keep us posted, ask questions and let us know what works.  Looking forward to seeing you at Warfighter.  
View Quote

Will do! I'm looking forward to meeting you too.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 8:22:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Notcalegal is right, unfortunately it can be hard to find individuals who want to do hard and possibly painful things.

1 in 100 humans are willing to do hard things, I'm probably being generous
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 4:25:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 10:15:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Ben:
Another strategy is to find clique/niche groups in your area that do each thing (medical, land nav/orienteering, climbing, etc). Doing things with them still gives you the knowledge. From those various groups, watch and identify who might want to hike with you. Or find a hiking group locally. It doesn't have to be an APC group. Two witnesses that hiked with you, even if they aren't doing APC things, are all you need to get your book signed off.
View Quote

Thanks for the ideas and guidance. I will get the task book ordered this weekend.
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 8:23:09 PM EDT
[#12]

Thanks for the ideas and guidance. I will get the task book ordered this weekend.
View Quote

Colorado is fairly active. Won't be worth it for you with the hikes and such, but I'm trying to put together a yearly camping/hike-ruck/skills/shooting thing. Did one last year, everyone had fun, so I'll do it again this summer.

So keep that in mind.

Welcome. Remember, APC is what you make it
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 10:06:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Well, Task Book is here.
I hope to have another hike, this time /w some new companions.

Now I need to figure out where to practice land navigation....
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 11:56:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ben] [#14]
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 10:00:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: advracer] [#15]
A lot of the F3 groups have rucking and sandbag workouts during the week.  Most members are outdoor oriented, firearms enthusiasts etc.  Good crossover.

Here in Raleigh NC we held our own Star Course Ruck Nav event last Saturday and it was well attended.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top