Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/28/2024 12:35:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: prebans]
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 6:46:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Some PDs absolutely will not issue them, period.

Some PDs will issue them to those with C&R FFLs (per MGL that is proof of "collector" status).

It is best to schedule a meeting with your local police chief to discuss this and determine if s/he will or will not issue a MG license. If s/he says no, don't bother to waste your money and time applying.

When I lived in MA, I asked and my chief told me that he generally didn't like to issue them but would (and did) issue one to me since he knew me as an upstanding citizen in the town. [I had lived in the town for 40 yrs, served on the PD for 17 yrs, MA constable for 21 yrs, appointed by the town to three different committees,  etc. So I wasn't exactly unknown.]

A very good friend who was a police officer and police firearms instructor in another MA town was told by his chief that no way, no how would he issue a MG license to anyone in town including his own police officers. So it definitely varies from town to town.

Link Posted: 2/28/2024 8:27:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I’d like to see what would happen based on the Supreme Court and the Bruen decision.

I hope to see someone get denied a MG license and take it to court.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 8:27:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I’d like to see what would happen based on the Supreme Court and the Bruen decision.

I hope to see someone get denied a MG license and take it to court.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 2:52:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 2:59:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By prebans:
Thank you.  I do not live in MA, but there is a chance I may have a relocation in my future.  MA gives me pause.  I’d have to lock up a portion of my collection out of state if I moved there.  It’d be nice to be able to bring my MGs though.
View Quote

Massachusetts will not issue any non-resident machine gun license so the only way you’re getting one is to move there as a resident and hopefully get into a good town with a decent chief.

I would strongly reconsider any reason you were considering moving to Massachusetts. If you must go in that area, I would go to a neighboring state.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 4:09:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LenS] [#6]
Originally Posted By steve8140:

Massachusetts will not issue any non-resident machine gun license so the only way you're getting one is to move there as a resident and hopefully get into a good town with a decent chief.

I would strongly reconsider any reason you were considering moving to Massachusetts. If you must go in that area, I would go to a neighboring state.
View Quote
I would agree. Additionally, with the current anti-2A bill being debated on and shortly being passed into law, the outlook in MA for all gun owners is very grim. MA courts (including the 1st US District Court) are 100% anti-2A and ignore Heller and Bruen with impunity.

Link Posted: 2/29/2024 7:08:01 PM EDT
[#7]

Massachusetts will not issue any non-resident machine gun license so the only way you’re getting one is to move there as a resident and hopefully get into a good town with a decent chief.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Thank you.  I do not live in MA, but there is a chance I may have a relocation in my future.  MA gives me pause.  I’d have to lock up a portion of my collection out of state if I moved there.  It’d be nice to be able to bring my MGs though.

100% agree. I'm less then 2 miles over the line in NH. Work is almost an hour away in MA and I don't want to switch jobs. No regrets. I'll move again when I retire. MA is a bad place for gun owners and it looks like it's about to become worse.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 8:27:12 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm also fairly certain that even the chiefs that will issue a MG license, won't do it for an unknown person who just moved into MA and their town. The Mass Chiefs Assn (MCOPA) is dead set against civilian ownership of guns as is the court system, so getting a sympathetic ear is almost impossible.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 4:45:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: djsmiles] [#9]
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 9:45:44 AM EDT
[#10]
View Quote

I know many people with green cards, but as others have already said, it depends on the town and the individual.

We are in the process of leaving Mass, saying we hate it here would be a giant understatement.

I'd suggest NH as well, or find another job. MA is great if you like spectator sports, lots of leftists, chain restaurants, high cost of living, and big government being involved in near everything you do. The schools suck too, terrible place to raise kids. My friends kids teacher teaches "curriculum half the time, and the other half is dedicated to social justice".
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 3:51:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Hmm what if your west of central MA. ? Smallish town. Been here 14 years, any tips? I assume they ask why my best answer is I dunno cause I can ?
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 4:52:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By chicken_rider:
Hmm what if your west of central MA. ? Smallish town. Been here 14 years, any tips? I assume they ask why my best answer is I dunno cause I can ?
View Quote

Spend $30 and get your C&R, then talk to your chief and apply.

With the C&R or are considered a bonafide collector and meet the states standards. If the town says no then you can spend the money on a lawyer to fight them if you wish.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 9:56:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HenryBowmanToo] [#13]
Just curious to know whether this ever happens.  Or is it only theoretically possible like a NJ or CA MG license?

Cross-posted to the MG forum.
View Quote

It’s completely false that no one issues MG licenses in Mass based on data.  When Healey had the EOPPS dox’d gun owners on the State’s website in January 2023, a summary of licenses by town was also published.  305 of 353 towns showed MG licenses having been issued, including Boston and Cambridge.

I live in the second largest city in the state.  I did write my chief before I applied regarding the expectation of approval – he never responded.  When I did apply, I was given a list of thing the PD expected, most of which I already had (security cameras, alarm system) – but they never showed up to inspect /confirm these things before issuing my license as they said they would.  This is not law or city ordinance as far as I could tell, just their “expectation”.  I received my initial license well before Bruen.

You will need your C&R as a prerequisite - and its' well worth the $30 to have anyway.

I think one needs to go into the process with the expectation of “they will to give it to me” versus avoiding the application because you’re afraid they won’t.

All this said, if you can leave in a free state (for now) like New Hampshire, it would make your life easier.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 7:29:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Not trying to hijack the thread but wanna prepare a lil. I need to renew my ltc and I’ll see if the chief is around. I’m trying to read up on as much as possible but it’s MA. Soo…  shit runs in circles and it’s like trying to buy a pvs14 all over. In the event I got approved Would I need to set up a trust for it? Is it only applicable to pre 86? Would I now be able to purchase a suppressor in MA ?
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 9:01:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Not trying to hijack the thread but wanna prepare a lil. I need to renew my ltc and I’ll see if the chief is around. I’m trying to read up on as much as possible but it’s MA. Soo…  shit runs in circles and it’s like trying to buy a pvs14 all over. In the event I got approved Would I need to set up a trust for it? Is it only applicable to pre 86? Would I now be able to purchase a suppressor in MA ?
View Quote

I'm not sure a trust does anything for you here - at least what's what my firearms attorney told me at the time.  The only machine guns a citizen can own would be "transferable" guns registered before Regan signed into law banning them (yes, pre May '86).

Beyond agents of the state, one can only own/possess suppressors you’re an 01, 02, 09, or 07 FFL (manufacturer) AND the appropriate SOT as far as I know (that’s federally, not sure if there are other restrictions on the state side.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 10:18:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: chicken_rider] [#16]
So  that license wouldn’t leagally circumvent state laws ? (No operation ownership of suppressor )   I’d still have full auto but limited to ten unless preban mag or believe I read dated belts which didn’t even belive existed before I think it was canoguys thread . Is it a waste to go thru this if state says no grand fathered “ normal capacity “ ? And ETA thank you guys for replying just trying to figure all this out. I’m sure I sound dumb but in MA this is like trying to catch jaws with everyone’s not so accurate stories and bullshit for years
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 7:32:04 AM EDT
[#17]
So  that license wouldn’t leagally circumvent state laws ? (No operation ownership of suppressor )   I’d still have full auto but limited to ten unless preban mag or believe I read dated belts which didn’t even belive existed before I think it was canoguys thread . Is it a waste to go thru this if state says no grand fathered “ normal capacity “ ? And ETA thank you guys for replying just trying to figure all this out. I’m sure I sound dumb but in MA this is like trying to catch jaws with everyone’s not so accurate stories and bullshit for years
View Quote

I can’t speak on anything in regards to belts and links because I don’t really know anything about them. But everything else you said is accurate.

The good news is that every transferable machine gun is pre-1986 which means every single transferable machine gun has pre-ban magazines.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 2:43:17 PM EDT
[#18]
View Quote

I should have already pointed out that “I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice.”  However, I was an 01 FFL and did look into some of this.

I would caution again the use of words like “circumvent” or it’s more sinister sibling, “loophole”.  These are favorites of the disarmament regimes’ propagandistic law pedaling.  All of this is merely a means to comply with the law.  Sorry for the digression, it’s a Pet peeve…

On the state side, it’s not the FFL that would “allow” you to have suppressors (or standard capacity magazines) – it’s the fact that you’ve paid the state to have a retailer’s license (technically, you’d pay for three of them: one for selling/renting guns, one for selling ammo, and one for gunsmithing).  Even with them though you of course could only sell to LE here.

So as far as the state’s concerned you’re “in the business” and would need to have a non-residential brick and mortar location to house that business.  On the fed side, they too would expect to see transactional volumes with the license you get, as that’s the point of a dealer’s FFL.

Hopefully you see that it gets a little complicated.  Back to some of the original recommendations – if you want some of these goodies as an individual, best to locate someplace other than MA.

As for the mag question, as steve8140 noted the fact that all transferable firearms pre-86 means there are/should mags available, although the price could be more of a shocker than the guns themselves.  It’s an expensive hobby and is only headed north.

They make all this intentionally confusing as a calculated disincentive to exercise your rights.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 6:26:12 PM EDT
[#19]

View Quote

There is a statutory path to obtaining one, however they are conditioned on being employed by a manufacturer  of machineguns (in Massachusetts) and are for the purposes of transporting and testing "relative to manufacture"
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 8:04:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By HenryBowmanToo:

I should have already pointed out that “I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice.”  However, I was an 01 FFL and did look into some of this.

I would caution again the use of words like “circumvent” or it’s more sinister sibling, “loophole”.  These are favorites of the disarmament regimes’ propagandistic law pedaling.  All of this is merely a means to comply with the law.  Sorry for the digression, it’s a Pet peeve…

On the state side, it’s not the FFL that would “allow” you to have suppressors (or standard capacity magazines) – it’s the fact that you’ve paid the state to have a retailer’s license (technically, you’d pay for three of them: one for selling/renting guns, one for selling ammo, and one for gunsmithing).  Even with them though you of course could only sell to LE here.

So as far as the state’s concerned you’re “in the business” and would need to have a non-residential brick and mortar location to house that business.  On the fed side, they too would expect to see transactional volumes with the license you get, as that’s the point of a dealer’s FFL.

Hopefully you see that it gets a little complicated.  Back to some of the original recommendations – if you want some of these goodies as an individual, best to locate someplace other than MA.

As for the mag question, as steve8140 noted the fact that all transferable firearms pre-86 means there are/should mags available, although the price could be more of a shocker than the guns themselves.  It’s an expensive hobby and is only headed north.

They make all this intentionally confusing as a calculated disincentive to exercise your rights.
View Quote

Didnt want to use that word just think it’s dumb as MA usually is that after 4 licenses and multiple background checks fed doesn’t overrule state. Wierd how that’s ok with somethings and not others
agian thank you all I see no reason I’d be denied and pretty sure I could have the funds.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top