Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/6/2024 12:47:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Beretta_Jerry]
..despite living here 40+ years. We have a south facing oleander. I posted here last summer asking for advice after it got cooked by the heat. Thanks for the replies.

Well, it's doing a lot better and starting to sprout after pruning the dead branches a while back. On a side note, it's never really bloomed well, just a few flowers. I looked at it a few days ago, and there were orange dots near all the new growth and flower buds.

Researched it and found out they're oleander aphids (Aphis nerii). They also attack plants of the milkweed family. Folks grow those to attract monarch butterflies and are hesitant to use pesticides because they don't want to harm the caterpillars. I went nuclear on them, though. Plain old Raid does the job. I hope this can help someone.

Pic (not mine) below. Slightly smaller than a pinhead, and appears more sphere-like. I live in a suburb of PHX.

Link Posted: 3/6/2024 10:02:23 AM EDT
[#1]
It has been my experience that you can never get rid of them for good, they just keep coming back.
I spray them several times a year.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 12:04:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I get them on only one of my many of adeniums, that one must be very sweet to attract them. I use insecticidal soap that you can buy at any nursery or hardware store, or you can make your own.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 2:10:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Many landscapers have switch from oleander to other hedges because of these pest.  We use green hopseed, ficus or sour orange for hedges to address these pest.  I also regularly remove oleander when doing remodels for the same reason.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top