Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2024 8:06:24 AM EDT
As the title says, I've finally escaped from JB & BJs gulag. I defected to TN and I'm so happy to get the stench of IL off of me.

I feel for those stuck there, I understand many don't have a choice but to say. IL really seems to be on the road to becoming a police state at an accelerating pace.

Peace out brothers!
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 10:13:45 AM EDT
[#1]
"On the road."?  We passed there about 20 years ago.  My parents worked their butts off so we could own farmland.  The trouble is they chose the wrong state 60 years ago.  We can move, but we have not found the trailer hitch on the acrage we own.  The best part is that Illinois has a nasty estate tax on estates over four millions dollars.  That 4 million only yields $40,000 of income or one percent return.  BTW, the estate tax is roughly 10 percent which will wipe out all our cash assets.  Yeah we could sell it, and move, but you hate to give up something that has been in the family for almost two centuries in the case of my wife, and that your ancestors sacrificed so much for us to own.  My farm has only been in the family since the 1930's.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 10:23:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Skunkhunter:
"On the road."?  We passed there about 20 years ago.  My parents worked their butts off so we could own farmland.  The trouble is they chose the wrong state 60 years ago.  We can move, but we have not found the trailer hitch on the acrage we own.  The best part is that Illinois has a nasty estate tax on estates over four millions dollars.  That 4 million only yields $40,000 of income or one percent return.  BTW, the estate tax is roughly 10 percent which will wipe out all our cash assets.  Yeah we could sell it, and move, but you hate to give up something that has been in the family for almost two centuries in the case of my wife, and that your ancestors sacrificed so much for us to own.  My farm has only been in the family since the 1930's.
View Quote

Can't you just put the estate in an irrevocable trust to avoid estate taxes?
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 10:54:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 11:46:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By handyandy:
As the title says, I've finally escaped from JB & BJs gulag. I defected to TN and I'm so happy to get the stench of IL off of me.

I feel for those stuck there, I understand many don't have a choice but to say. IL really seems to be on the road to becoming a police state at an accelerating pace.

Peace out brothers!
View Quote

Congrats!

Link Posted: 3/20/2024 11:49:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Congrats Andy.

The makers leave and the takers stay. It's a death spiral.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 1:43:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By handyandy:

Peace out brothers!
View Quote

Well done and congrats!

VooDoo
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 8:04:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Congratulations! I made the move to Missouri a few years ago and love it here. It's like a different country compared to Illinois.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top