Posted: 1/30/2024 11:10:35 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 9:27:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 12:47:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: StevieJ309] [#2]
Coming soon to an Illinois road near you:

Link Posted: 2/1/2024 11:10:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, that's pretty wild.  I do think some cops have brought some of this on themselves. Short story, 10yrs ago driving through a small co 60 miles from where I live.  Pull up to an intersection with a right hand turn lane, I'm in that lane as I'm gonna turn right.  A sheriff's deputy goes paste and turns left onto the rd I'm coming from.  Intersection is clear so I proceed with right turn,  cop kicks it around and hauls ass after me.  I stop and asked me if I know why he's pulling me over, "nope."  I didn't use turn signal in turn lane, ok.  Then wanted to know why I didn't have a front plate bracket, "just bought this car less than a week ago in indiana and they didn't have a bracket for it, waiting on it to come in."  Let me see insurance and reg, "ok".  This ins card expired yesterday, "oops, the new card is on my desk, my bad."  Well I'm gonna write you a warning for no turn signal, no front license plate, and a ticket for no ins.  If you bring this ticket and your new ins card to courthouse, they'll drop ticket.  Dude believed I had ins, told me so, but had to write a ticket knowing it was going nowhere other then making me drive back there.  This was 15-20yrs ago, so they had to see original, couldn't email or fax them.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 12:53:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Capt_Destro] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DH243:
Yeah, that's pretty wild.  I do think some cops have brought some of this on themselves. Short story, 10yrs ago driving through a small co 60 miles from where I live.  Pull up to an intersection with a right hand turn lane, I'm in that lane as I'm gonna turn right.  A sheriff's deputy goes paste and turns left onto the rd I'm coming from.  Intersection is clear so I proceed with right turn,  cop kicks it around and hauls ass after me.  I stop and asked me if I know why he's pulling me over, "nope."  I didn't use turn signal in turn lane, ok.  Then wanted to know why I didn't have a front plate bracket, "just bought this car less than a week ago in indiana and they didn't have a bracket for it, waiting on it to come in."  Let me see insurance and reg, "ok".  This ins card expired yesterday, "oops, the new card is on my desk, my bad."  Well I'm gonna write you a warning for no turn signal, no front license plate, and a ticket for no ins.  If you bring this ticket and your new ins card to courthouse, they'll drop ticket.  Dude believed I had ins, told me so, but had to write a ticket knowing it was going nowhere other then making me drive back there.  This was 15-20yrs ago, so they had to see original, couldn't email or fax them.
View Quote

When I was 19 I had a broken tail light. Got pulled over.

I left my current insurance card at home, literally in the printer tray. Got a ticket for that and had to show up in court. Cop/court held my fucking license hostage. Ended up bringing copies of insurance since I started driving.

Prosecutor was a real dick. "THESE ARE EXPIRED!!!111 YOU IN TROUBLE"

Dude turns white and then red after I told him to keep looking through them. Judge dismisses whatever the ticket was. I retrieved my license.

Huge waste of fucking time. Serve and protect my ass.

There's no fucking reason to be a hard ass.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 2:37:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: F14ADC] [#5]
Well I think many will not get the point, not that I agree with Mister SAFE-T act, but cops have been using the traffic laws for fishing expeditions since they invented cars and traffic laws.  Justin thinks that this only happens to his people.  Cops aren't about to give this up.  They will wait until some dufus actually does break a real law and just charge 'em with all of the shit they can find.  This won't solve anything.  I do think that if he really meant business he word get those laws repealed.  I would really enjoy not having to pay for tags.
ETA: Doesn't say they can't stop them for an insurance check LOL
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 12:24:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Manticore_Arms] [#6]
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 7:59:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Ya know, I’m actually okay with this.  At this point I’m willing to consider good anything that give the state less power over me, and law enforcement less opportunity to screw me over for victimless, malum prohibitum, “crimes”.  
Most of the violations listed are bullshit, anyway.  Expired sticker?  Failure to wear seat belt?  That stuff shouldn’t be a violation to begin with.
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 3:43:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Hood Rat Protection Act.  
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 1:26:18 AM EDT
[#9]
It seems they have dropped it for now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top