Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/24/2023 1:42:38 PM EDT
I'm relocating from NV to WV or VA for work.  I've been out here around 6 weeks now and I'll be working in the Middletown area in VA.  Been looking at houses for a while with a realtor and she's awesome so far.  Thought we had a house lined up and had it under contract in Augusta, but the owners didn't want to play along to make it work.  House needed some work to finish and I offered to do it within reason, but they tried to keep the earnest money and everything.  That's all played out and over now and I got my money back so the search continues.

So I've been searching the Inwood, Berkeley Springs, Augusta, Capon Bridge.  Have one that may work out in Inwood, but I'm not in love with it or the taxes in that area at all.

Found a couple around Baker, but from the reviews my wife is finding the schools there suck.  Anyone have kids in the area or know of the school quality there?  Taxes seem to be much lower on houses I've looked at in Baker and the owners aren't putting sentimental value into the selling price as much.
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 6:13:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Baker as in west of Wardensville?
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 7:35:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Bubbles:
Baker as in west of Wardensville?
View Quote

Yes
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 8:25:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Hardy is a very different (poorer) county compared to Berkeley & Jefferson.  I'd be prepared to either home school or supplement what is being taught, especially math, if you expect your kids to go to college.

I'm in Berkeley county.  My daughter was in AP calculus her senior year of high school and there were only five students in the class despite the high school student body having 2400 students.  Despite the small class size I still had to help her with a lot of it.
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 9:14:26 PM EDT
[#4]
That's pretty well what my wife was reading on review sites.  I didn't go to a great school, but I still went to college and got an engineering degree.  It wasn't easy, but I made it through.

I'm just having a hard time seeing how comparable houses have such different taxes.  Two places within less than 5% difference in cost.  Inwood is almost 3k a year in property taxes, just short of 1k in Baker.
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 9:31:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm in Inwood... but with the six new traffic circles it's now Inwooooood.

Most of the county budget goes to schools.  Page 7 has the rates.  Note that Martinsburg and Hedgesville have an additional property tax if you live in the city/town limits.
https://www.berkeleywv.org/DocumentCenter/View/9426/2022---2023-Fiscal-Year-Report-PDF
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 9:03:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Bubbles:
I'm in Inwood... but with the six new traffic circles it's now Inwooooood.

Most of the county budget goes to schools.  Page 7 has the rates.  Note that Martinsburg and Hedgesville have an additional property tax if you live in the city/town limits.
https://www.berkeleywv.org/DocumentCenter/View/9426/2022---2023-Fiscal-Year-Report-PDF
View Quote

I see that on the tax rates.  

Moving from a place that also had traffic circles (they seemed to flow much more smoothly there, but they've been there for years vs newer in Inwood), that's not a big deal.  I watched a video on YT about Inwood and that was the first complaint

Putting another offer in on the house we like in Inwood this week.  Honestly I don't think I'll get it because the seller has built in sentimental value into the cost and their memories aren't worth a cent to me.  I had to let that shit go when I sold my house out West.
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 9:26:16 AM EDT
[#7]
What municipal district is Inwood in?
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 10:33:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Craddock:
What municipal district is Inwood in?
View Quote

A primary residence would be Rural I.  If you own a residence you don't occupy, e.g. second home or rental/investment property, that's Rural II.
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 1:18:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 8:12:39 PM EDT
[#10]
I has been corrected.
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 10:51:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/28/2023 6:10:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Waldo:

It may have been different in the past, IDK.

You can check every parcel here. Just zoom in on the map, click on the parcel, hit description then details. You'll see what class it is.

https://www.mapwv.gov/parcel/
View Quote

That's useful.  Thank you
Link Posted: 12/28/2023 8:17:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Waldo] [#13]
Link Posted: 12/28/2023 8:10:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Waldo:

Mostly useful, it shows assessed value but not the actual tax due/paid.  

You have to go to the county Sheriff web sites to see what taxes have been paid, arrears, ect. WV is kind of odd in that property tax collection falls under the jurisdiction of the Sheriff.

Plus the actual tax bill can be a bit confusing the first time you look at one. At least compared to the tax bill I get on my property in Ohio. It had me scratching my head the first time so I went to pay it in person so they could explain it to me.
View Quote

I spent 32 years in WV before moving to NV so I'm use to the system in general.  We actually had the sheriff's website for taxes pretty early when it first came out for my old house.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top