Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/9/2022 9:13:08 PM EDT
I don't think it is, but want to hear from people who are there.
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 10:16:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Nope.
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 11:26:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks. I didn't think the situation changed any from when I visited decades ago.  That convinced me to stay on the mainland. Pretty place though.
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 5:15:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Not even close even though we probably could be closer if the state actually supported farming/ranching.  

Bigger population zones like Honolulu, Kahului, Hilo and Kona are fucked but away from the population centers you can be self sufficient.

My property is off grid with solar, catchment, satellite TV and internet.  We have chickens, a vegetable garden and have planted a ton of sweet potato and if you add in basic preps like bread flour, rice, a freezer full of food we can easily hunker down for 6 months or more.  Can you do that where you are?

In global SHTF the urban centers in Hawaii (like the mainland) would collapse but there are plenty of rural areas where a country boy could survive.
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 7:45:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I have land and have been growing stuff; but our season is short.  No chickens b/c of yogi/mtn lion.
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 9:47:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I think you could be fine living out in the country.  Deer, wild pigs and goats, fishing, fruits and veggies.
Link Posted: 4/1/2022 5:39:43 PM EDT
[#6]
No and it's ridiculous.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 6:44:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Ever see the end of the movie Rapa Nui? Easter Island Cannibals
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 2:25:50 AM EDT
[#8]
I read this thread when it was first started, then yesterday for some reason my mother asked me if Hawaii was self sufficient and I brought up this thread. I don't live there. From what I see when I've been looking at real estate over there, it looks like people in rural areas could be self sufficient pretty easy. Most houses are off grid and use catchment for water. Most places have tons of exotic fruit trees, even if it's only an acre or two. Then there's the pigs. We talked about a documentary we had recently watched about the parker ranch. They fly their cows over to the mainland to sell them.
I imagine if you go to Walmart or any large chain grocery store over there you buy beef and produce from Argentina and china, just like here. All the stuff produced in Hawaii gets shipped out somewhere else. Right?
It probably could be a lot more self sufficient if people got together and big stores had local buyers to source stuff locally. It's the same everywhere though.
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 2:29:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By PaladinM1911:
Ever see the end of the movie Rapa Nui? Easter Island Cannibals
View Quote

I didn't click your link, but I've heard about Easter island. Hawaii would be pretty screwed if something like a shipping strike happened, or something. I could totally see hurricane Katrina type shit happening within 2 weeks if the supply chain suddenly stopped.
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 3:21:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By AASG:
I read this thread when it was first started, then yesterday for some reason my mother asked me if Hawaii was self sufficient and I brought up this thread. I don't live there. From what I see when I've been looking at real estate over there, it looks like people in rural areas could be self sufficient pretty easy. Most houses are off grid and use catchment for water. Most places have tons of exotic fruit trees, even if it's only an acre or two. Then there's the pigs. We talked about a documentary we had recently watched about the parker ranch. They fly their cows over to the mainland to sell them.
I imagine if you go to Walmart or any large chain grocery store over there you buy beef and produce from Argentina and china, just like here. All the stuff produced in Hawaii gets shipped out somewhere else. Right?
It probably could be a lot more self sufficient if people got together and big stores had local buyers to source stuff locally. It's the same everywhere though.
View Quote

While the bulk of the food sold here is imported, Parker Ranch does sell beef locally through Safeway stores.   Our Farmer's Market system with locally grown produce is pretty robust but, sadly like I mentioned earlier, the State is totally uninterested in supporting local agriculture and ranching.  The State Ag old timers were firmly focused on sugar cane and pineapple and when that went away the focus went to invasive species rather than supporting diversified agriculture.

To give an example, on the Big Island there is only one public, certified slaughter operation where small growers of beef, lamb, goat, pig, etc can access to produce legal for sale meat products.  Some of the larger ranches have their own certified slaughter/processing operations and their efficiency prices the smaller producers out of operation.  My wife used to sell lamb at her farmer's market booth but gave up since her prices (using product from the lone slaughter operation)  was higher than other booths buying from the big ranches.  The State could mitigate the problem if they would support Co-op slaughter houses or sponsor a State run operation but they are too busy looking for bugs and snakes.

Link Posted: 7/16/2022 3:29:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By AASG:

I didn't click your link, but I've heard about Easter island. Hawaii would be pretty screwed if something like a shipping strike happened, or something. I could totally see hurricane Katrina type shit happening within 2 weeks if the supply chain suddenly stopped.
View Quote

Supply chain disruption is why I prep.  First things to run out in panics here are toilet paper, rice, spam and bottled water.  I stock deep with rice, beans, TP, dog food and fuel (gas and propane).  On my little 5 acre property I raise leafy greens, sweet potato, eggs, chicken and root vegetables (carrots, parsnips, etc).  I can easily hunt turkey, pig, and small game birds within walking distance of my home.

Being on solar I don't worry about power and have satellite internet as well as amateur radio for comms.

For protection I have 5 large guard dogs, multiple weapons, a good stock of ammo, and like-minded neighbors.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 7:44:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Used to be a long time ago.

Now, with a 1.5 million+ population.  NOPE.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 3:08:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Brundoggie:

While the bulk of the food sold here is imported, Parker Ranch does sell beef locally through Safeway stores.   Our Farmer's Market system with locally grown produce is pretty robust but, sadly like I mentioned earlier, the State is totally uninterested in supporting local agriculture and ranching.  The State Ag old timers were firmly focused on sugar cane and pineapple and when that went away the focus went to invasive species rather than supporting diversified agriculture.

To give an example, on the Big Island there is only one public, certified slaughter operation where small growers of beef, lamb, goat, pig, etc can access to produce legal for sale meat products.  Some of the larger ranches have their own certified slaughter/processing operations and their efficiency prices the smaller producers out of operation.  My wife used to sell lamb at her farmer's market booth but gave up since her prices (using product from the lone slaughter operation)  was higher than other booths buying from the big ranches.  The State could mitigate the problem if they would support Co-op slaughter houses or sponsor a State run operation but they are too busy looking for bugs and snakes.

View Quote

Researching the Dem candidates in the current primary, there was lots of nice talk about improving sustainability and self-sufficiency.  Just lip service no doubt.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top