Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Utah
Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2023 9:36:03 PM EDT
I'm 22 years old, still at the renting age. I make decent money, just not house money. I've lived East Coast all my life and when I watch videos of Utah and how open and free it seems, because it's so unpopulated - you can go just about anywhere. And there's tons of BLM land.

On the east coast, it's so densely populated if you don't have private property it almost feels like you're trapped. In Tennessee I can't just go out and ruck with my rifle and camp out like you can in BLM land. I can't get in good training, because it's illegal to have a rifle on you in the state/national parks, so you're restricted to paid access ranges of which very few offer actual training. The reason I'm looking into Utah (And also, Arizona) is because they have that open feeling while still having cities that I could be near. As a young person, that's important to me is to have access to "civilization".

I see a lot of people saying Utah is mormon hell, and I don't know if they're overreacting or what exactly they mean. I don't know how well I'd fit in as a northerner, and don't know what the good/bad parts of the state are. Additionally I don't really know how easy it is to actually get onto BLM land. I'm assuming it's hard to find good shooting spots but it seems like it's basically a "once you're in the borders of it, you can basically do whatever you want." Coming from a childhood of not even having a backyard, that seems thrilling to me.

I know a lot of people will say "we're full" but one apartment I rent is one that a Californian can't, lol.

So, is moving away from everything I know to a very alien state just for access to the BLM land a good idea? How good is the state for young people? What are the good areas of the state for someone like me?

Link Posted: 9/3/2023 12:45:02 AM EDT
[#1]
I moved here from GA almost six years ago and have zero regrets.  I am not Mormon but I have several friends who are and they treat me as well as anyone else.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 11:37:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By hidaro:
I'm 22 years old, still at the renting age. I make decent money, just not house money. I've lived East Coast all my life and when I watch videos of Utah and how open and free it seems, because it's so unpopulated - you can go just about anywhere. And there's tons of BLM land.

On the east coast, it's so densely populated if you don't have private property it almost feels like you're trapped. In Tennessee I can't just go out and ruck with my rifle and camp out like you can in BLM land. I can't get in good training, because it's illegal to have a rifle on you in the state/national parks, so you're restricted to paid access ranges of which very few offer actual training. The reason I'm looking into Utah (And also, Arizona) is because they have that open feeling while still having cities that I could be near. As a young person, that's important to me is to have access to "civilization".

I see a lot of people saying Utah is mormon hell, and I don't know if they're overreacting or what exactly they mean. I don't know how well I'd fit in as a northerner, and don't know what the good/bad parts of the state are. Additionally I don't really know how easy it is to actually get onto BLM land. I'm assuming it's hard to find good shooting spots but it seems like it's basically a "once you're in the borders of it, you can basically do whatever you want." Coming from a childhood of not even having a backyard, that seems thrilling to me.

I know a lot of people will say "we're full" but one apartment I rent is one that a Californian can't, lol.

So, is moving away from everything I know to a very alien state just for access to the BLM land a good idea? How good is the state for young people? What are the good areas of the state for someone like me?

View Quote

The mormon thing is generally overblown. Like any other culture there's bad ones but lots of good ones. Unless you're doing some mid to upper management white collar jobs it's a non-issue in my opinion.

BLM land is pretty much like you think it is. You just drive out to it and find a road to follow off the highway and you're there. There may be some private land sprinkled in it but they're generally posted as such. Where you decide to live will dictate if you can just head out there in 20 minutes and dick around or you're far away and have to make a day of it. The "good" areas of the state are hard to say, as what some people might say is good I would say is urban hell.

Is it good for you? I have no idea. When I was younger I didn't care about clubs or malls or any of that stuff. I wanted to hunt, fish, shoot out in the middle of nowhere and do dumb stuff with my truck in said nowhere, and did it all with friends. So it was perfect for me. Your mileage may vary.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 12:23:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Do you need to find a new job when you get here?  Or can you bring your job with you?  As in work from home?  

Where I'm at, the northwest side of Utah Lake, I can get on my street legal ATV, go up the street a half mile or so, and be out on open land.  It's literally less than 10 minutes to my normal shooting sop where I can shoot out 100s of yards if I want.  I could leave my house and ride 1000s of miles of trails if I wanted.  If I want to shoot long distance, I go out a little farther west.  It's a good 30-minute drive, but during the week I can spend hours out there and never see anyone else.  Shooting out past 1000yds is no problem.

I know a guy that lives in central Utah near Richfield.  Access to public land is even easier/better.  

I wouldn't worry about the Mormons.

Real estate prices have gone crazy here.  I think you're looking at $1500+ a month for a one-bedroom apartment.

Most of Utah is a desert as well.  Anything west of SLC is barren scrubland.
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 9:34:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fullmetaledges] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By LRShooter:
Do you need to find a new job when you get here?  Or can you bring your job with you?  As in work from home?  

Where I'm at, the northwest side of Utah Lake, I can get on my street legal ATV, go up the street a half mile or so, and be out on open land.  It's literally less than 10 minutes to my normal shooting sop where I can shoot out 100s of yards if I want.  I could leave my house and ride 1000s of miles of trails if I wanted.  If I want to shoot long distance, I go out a little farther west.  It's a good 30-minute drive, but during the week I can spend hours out there and never see anyone else.  Shooting out past 1000yds is no problem.

https://i.imgur.com/GAwMybEl.jpg

I know a guy that lives in central Utah near Richfield.  Access to public land is even easier/better.  

I wouldn't worry about the Mormons.

Real estate prices have gone crazy here.  I think you're looking at $1500+ a month for a one-bedroom apartment.

Most of Utah is a desert as well.  Anything west of SLC is barren scrubland.
View Quote

Please PM me with a good spot. I’m in Saratoga Springs and have been looking for a place to stretch out a bit.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 5:07:09 PM EDT
[#5]
I am feeling the same.  I am planning on moving from the Nashville Tn area early spring of 2024 to the salt lake area to raise my young family. Any input from locals on what neighborhoods to look at moving would be much appreciated. Is odgen really as bad as some say?

I am from Dallas Tx originally and will definitely bring a extra vote for the good guys. No liberal nonsense coming with me.
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 12:20:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 12:40:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 12:46:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 2:37:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 1:34:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/25/2023 7:10:05 PM EDT
[#11]
I lived out west most of my adult life. Go explore. I'd be happy to chat. Lived in Utah twice. I'm old.
Link Posted: 11/30/2023 3:04:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cacinok] [#12]
Originally Posted By WILLSMITH82:
I am feeling the same.  I am planning on moving from the Nashville Tn area early spring of 2024 to the salt lake area to raise my young family. Any input from locals on what neighborhoods to look at moving would be much appreciated. Is odgen really as bad as some say?

I am from Dallas Tx originally and will definitely bring a extra vote for the good guys. No liberal nonsense coming with me.
View Quote

A friend of mine from high school lives in Ogden on the east side, north of Weber State Univ.  He has never had any problems.  He has been in Ogden for the last 25 years.  He states that there are parts that are sketchy, but over all it's a good place to live and raise a family.

If you are looking at moving to the Ogden area, look at Farr West, which is just west and north of Ogden, or Pleasant View which is north of Ogden, both are a little newer and nicer.  

@willsmith82
Link Posted: 11/30/2023 9:15:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Aimless:
I've only met one other person from NY. I was at a poolside bar and they called my order by my phone number and she recognized the area code. She said she'd moved from a town in the Adirondacks, I was surprised at that, then she said in an annoyed voice "but we're HERE NOW"

Nothing more NY than standing next to a beautiful pool with a bar and palm trees and blue sky and be like "oh enough with the no snow and beautiful weather at this resort!"
View Quote
Ooof. If you've still got a 212 area code, you should change that. 435 and 801 work just fine.
Link Posted: 12/22/2023 11:55:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Aimless] [#14]
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 12:12:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Page Hometown » Utah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top