Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/12/2024 7:52:11 AM EDT
Looking to pass through port Arthur and let the kids play on paradise island as a road trip lunch break. Be there for about an hour mid day.

Is that area safe to hang out? It’s near Houston and their local news isn’t positive so asking the crowd here.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:48:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Are you talking about Pleasure Island? If so, it really isn't Port Arthur. It's far enough removed from the hood that you shouldn't have any problems. I'd still be watchful because thugs have cars. I'll say this, there's not much there to do or see...
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:06:56 AM EDT
[#2]
There’s a kids park. Just looking for a stretch break and not familiar with the area. I try not to stop between Katy and Mississippi but gonna have to.

https://visitportarthurtx.com/things-to-do/attraction/lakefront-park-on-pleasure-island/
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:28:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Where in Texas are you from that you think Port Arthur is near Houston?
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:39:28 PM EDT
[#4]
New braunfels. Kinda consider everything east of Katy Houston.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 7:28:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By tex7488:
New braunfels. Kinda consider everything east of Katy Houston.
View Quote

Port Arthur is over 100 miles east of Houston.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 8:53:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: thebert] [#6]
If you really have your heart set on visiting SE Texas there is a much better place for the kids to play at in Port Neches.
https://maps.app.goo.gl/fij3aGfMCiBVDe587
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:23:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ManiacRat] [#7]
First off...Fuck no. Stay away.

Secondly, Pleasure Island is a shit hole. With morons taking over most places on most days. It was nice decades ago. But years and years of corrupt city officials have raped that city dry. Eat the restaurants up top on the north end but DO NOT go south of SH73. If you do, DO NOT go south of Gulfway Dr. On top of that mind your P's and Q's pretty much anywhere because the dumbass city officials have spent the last decade closing the projects down south and shipping them up north positively ruining all of the shopping districts they did have. None of the apartment complexes, save for a couple are safe or even being near them if I am being honest. It isn't uncommon for gunfights to start up at a moments notice. Sometimes nothing happens but shots fired and sometimes stuff or people get hit.

As the fella above mentioned if you are dead set on taking a break in our asshole of Texas area then do it in Port Neches at Port Neches Park. I wouldn't even suggest Dornbos Park in Nederland anymore. Places in Beaumont are somewhat ok. The childrens museum is usually fun for kids, not sure how old your kids are though. But Beaumont crime isn't any better than Port Arthur crime.

Just avoid Port Arthur as much as you can. Probably Beaumont too. In fact, I'd just pass right over this entire area.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:30:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ManiacRat] [#8]
Originally Posted By buckshot_jim:
Are you talking about Pleasure Island? If so, it really isn't Port Arthur. It's far enough removed from the hood that you shouldn't have any problems. I'd still be watchful because thugs have cars. I'll say this, there's not much there to do or see...
View Quote
The hood is just across the ship channel and a bridge from the island. One of the biggest dope sites in PA is about 100 yards from the bridge going there. Lots of dumb shit happens on the levee roads daily. No way in hell would I bring my kids to play there.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:54:05 PM EDT
[#9]
And this is why I pay for membership.

Thanks for the heads up. We will stay our happy ass on I10 and skip pleasure island. Thank you.

I’ll check out port neches. Possibly Beaumont.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 8:02:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ManiacRat] [#10]
Originally Posted By tex7488:
And this is why I pay for membership.

Thanks for the heads up. We will stay our happy ass on I10 and skip pleasure island. Thank you.

I'll check out port neches. Possibly Beaumont.
View Quote
Beaumont isn't any safer, just more to do is all. Beaumont may actually be worse. Port Neches, Nederland, Groves, Port Arthur are all connected to each other. Imagine a mini Houston if you will and thats the Beaumont-Port Arthur-Orange area.

Port Neches is a nicer city. Nederland has nice areas, their problems are all drug related and Groves is half nice, half bad. Port Arthur does have nice areas, but the city officials and HUD have tanked this place bad in the last 10 years. One park you could go to that is on I10, is nice and no issues that I know of is Claiborne West Park. It's in between Vidor and Orange on I-10. The problem with stuff in Beaumont is that most of it isn't near I10 and the areas around I10 while not bad aren't exactly great either.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:42:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By ManiacRat:
The hood is just across the ship channel and a bridge from the island. One of the biggest dope sites in PA is about 100 yards from the bridge going there. Lots of dumb shit happens on the levee roads daily. No way in hell would I bring my kids to play there.
View Quote

I'm glad you're in the know. I was there two years ago in the middle of the day and nothing was happening. I just drove around, showing my wife some of the places I used to go when I was young. I grew up just north of Beaumont and spent many days fishing all around the area. I still keep up with the news down there and there are shootings almost every day but I never see anything on Pleasure Island. It used to be pretty nice.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:02:20 AM EDT
[#12]

I'm glad you're in the know. I was there two years ago in the middle of the day and nothing was happening. I just drove around, showing my wife some of the places I used to go when I was young. I grew up just north of Beaumont and spent many days fishing all around the area. I still keep up with the news down there and there are shootings almost every day but I never see anything on Pleasure Island. It used to be pretty nice.
View Quote

Its not so much Pleasure island is bad, its just getting there that's hazardous.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:24:10 AM EDT
[#13]

View Quote
About a 1/4 of what goes on get reported. Are you gonna get shot hanging out on the island, probably not. Have to deal with drunks, thieves, meth heads and maybe get robbed? Yes. The park in question he is talking about is nice, but knuckleheads routinely cause problems by calling it "their park" and hassling people who show up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top