Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/14/2024 9:11:04 PM EDT
So I sent in the paperwork last June (I think?) for a renewal of my (out of state) Idaho Enhanced CCW, and I got the letter last summer that it's ready for me to go pick up.

However, it's now like 6 or 8 months later.  It's quite a drive... will it still be valid when I get there to pick it up?  Or is there an expiration on picking it up?  

Any tips?  I plan on calling them tomorrow to ask, but figured I'd also post the question here.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 10:17:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Wont you find out when you call?
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 4:57:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I would check the letter they sent you to see if there is a time that the photo/renewal needs to be completed by. I probably tossed my letter since I just did my renewal, but I think it was something like 30 days after receiving the letter. If your CCW is now expired, and past the 180 days since expiration, you would have to restart the application to get the CCW since your license isn't actually renewed until you go in and get your photo taken again even though you did the background check paperwork and sent it in.

https://adacounty.id.gov/sheriff/services/concealed-weapons-permit/#Class_Schedule

Probably should give them a call and see what needs to be done.
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 12:20:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BMSMB] [#3]
I'm a bit familiar with the ccw law

https://legislature.idaho.gov/statutesrules/idstat/title18/t18ch33/sect18-3302k/

Relevant section:
"(9)  Every license that is not, as provided by law, suspended, revoked or disqualified in this state shall be renewable at any time during the ninety (90) day period before its expiration or within ninety (90) days after the expiration date. The sheriff must mail renewal notices ninety (90) days prior to the expiration date of the license. The sheriff shall require the licensee applying for renewal to complete an application. The sheriff must submit the application to the Idaho state police. The Idaho state police must conduct the same records checks as required for an initial license under subsection (3) of this section and must return the results to the sheriff within thirty (30) days. The sheriff shall not issue a renewal before receiving and reviewing the results of the records check and must deny a license if the applicant is disqualified under any of the criteria provided in this section. A renewal license shall be valid for a period of five (5) years. A license so renewed shall take effect on the expiration date of the prior license. A licensee renewing ninety-one (91) days to one hundred eighty (180) days after the expiration date of the license must pay a late renewal penalty of ten dollars ($10.00) in addition to the renewal fee, except that any licensee serving on active duty in the armed forces of the United States during the renewal period shall not be required to pay a late renewal penalty upon renewing ninety-one (91) days to one hundred eighty (180) days after the expiration date of the license. After one hundred eighty-one (181) days, the licensee shall be required to submit an initial application for an enhanced license and pay the fees prescribed in subsection (7) of this section. The renewal fee and any penalty shall be paid to the sheriff for the purpose of enforcing the provisions of this chapter. Upon renewing a license under the provisions of this section, the sheriff must notify the Idaho state police within five (5) days on a form or in a manner prescribed by the Idaho state police."

You have 180 days from expiration to renew, or you need to start over fresh.
As long as they renewed it when you sent in your paperwork, you should be fine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top