Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/13/2023 5:55:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sirgarreth]
Hey guys,

I applied for my CCW about a month ago. I received a phone call today saying the handguns on my application are not registered in CA. I just moved from TX. She said she with cancel my application and I need register the handguns before I can apply.
Is it faster to just buy a handgun in CA and add that than to just wait for the handgun to be registered? Sounds like it will take months to get them registered with the DOJ here. Freaking CA.

A little more info. I am actually only planning on being in CA until the end of 2024, then probably moving over to the midwest area. So it looks like it will probably be mid to late next year by the time I get the CCW, so probably not worth going after now. What do you guys think?
I live way out in the middle of nowhere. No crime here. I do walk around a lot and there are Bobcats and bears and some have seen Mountain Lions. So would like to carry something while I walk around.
Link Posted: 11/14/2023 3:05:06 AM EDT
[#1]
https://www.oag.ca.gov/system/files/media/cfl2021.pdf

There's a section for new residents.  There's a process for submitting by mail or on-line.  It should go uickly.  Don't wait, if you go past 60 days it's a problem?
Link Posted: 11/14/2023 6:05:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Now that they know that you're here, stay on the safe side and register them.

Then see about your CCW.
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 4:29:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Isn't there a way to pawn a gun for 4 minutes and then have the pawn shop re-dros them to you? You'd be out the guns 10 days but I think that's one way to get them registered to yourself isn't it?
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 1:20:18 PM EDT
[#4]
This is just a suggestion (a guess) -

Do a paper registration and get two notarized copies of that paperwork.  
Send the original registration by Registered Mail (USPS) and keep the Registered Mail receipts.
Include one of the notarized copies with your CCW application.

Link Posted: 11/16/2023 4:38:11 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd think the issuing agency is going to verify registration on-line so until it's on the books officially, they wouldn't proceed.  Although keeping track of how you initiate the new resident registration might be important if pushing the 60 day point.  I kind of have the feeling from some discussions that  the state is more wanting them registered than chasing the date and prosecuting those who do so "late."  Separate from the needing them registered for inclusion on the ccw.
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 5:13:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Some of the more conservative counties have IAs that don't require the guns to be registered. It's a dumb requirement, as adding an unregistered handgun to a permit registers it and there are lots of unregistered handguns that were legally acquired without going through a registration process and unregistered handguns are not unlawful to possess.
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 11:46:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Decided to send in the form for the ones I put in the form.
Not going to proceed with the CWL. Will be moving out of Comifornia at the end of next year anyway.
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 2:47:40 PM EDT
[#8]
What county are you going to be living in?  Some counties are CCW friendly and fast to process, and some are not (i.e. stall and take forever).
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 10:25:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Kern County. It’s ok. They are taking about 6-8 months right now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top