Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/19/2024 11:40:29 AM EDT
Annandale Small Arms Range was both awesome and frightening at the same time.

Hand cranked target holders, minimal ventilation, and dubious bullet traps.

On the other hand, the staff was friendly and tended to have a good line on where gun stuff was available in the area.  (This was in the days when the CDNN catalog was a phone book they mailed to you).  

Dawson's and the Reloading Bench were just around the corner, so you could take care of most of your shooting needs with a quick trip to Annandale.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:59:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Remember it well. Richard Matsumoto usually running the range. Dawson's was really good.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 6:10:22 PM EDT
[#2]
The last public range.

St. Johns Catholic School in DC had a rifle team with a small bore range in the basement of the school up until a couple years ago.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 7:43:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Never shot there but used to drop off propaganda.

Found it hard to believe that they could lease the upstairs to a restaurant.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 7:13:24 AM EDT
[#4]
I remember going to Dawson's between Annandale and Fairfax.

I assume Dawson's Woodbridge was related.

No place to shoot inside the Beltway is just one more reason
I'm glad I left.

Link Posted: 4/20/2024 10:08:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Sniper1] [#5]
Raised in Annandale I remember Dawson's real well.
The Deli above the pistol range was great - I was just thinking of it the other day
The range was the first indoor range that I ever shot at I'm sure I came away with lead poisoning
Good times

also, the Reloading Bench around the corner - used to go in there and talk to the Colonel at least that's what we called him
great guy
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 6:44:04 PM EDT
[#6]
I grew up right down the road, and moved back 10 years ago.

Chuck and Lydia’s was the deli above it.

Dawson’s is a chicken place now, and is partially burned down because of a fire in some buildings on the other side.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 7:12:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By chipling:

Dawson’s is a chicken place now, and is partially burned down because of a fire in some buildings on the other side.
View Quote

That's the Bonchon, who's loss we lamented here when the fire occurred.  

I'm actually a bigger fan of the 92Chicken, which used to be Choong Man Chicken, right across the parking lot.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 10:41:03 AM EDT
[#8]
I used to shoot at the NRA range in DC prior to it moving to Fairfax.  Load a backpack full of guns and ammo,  hop on the Metro and then stroll to the building downtown.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 5:48:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By mbg0001:

I'm actually a bigger fan of the 92Chicken, which used to be Choong Man Chicken, right across the parking lot.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mbg0001:
Originally Posted By chipling:

Good to hear 92chicken is good, we may give it a try.
Swung by the Giant this afternoon and the old Dawson’s building is no more 😢. It’s been demo’d, just a pile of rubble now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top