Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/12/2024 3:52:23 AM EDT
-12 now headed to -18 tonight. -24 and -27 for the next couple nights, then we get a heatwave at -16 for a night before summer temps (above zero) return. Ive got both wood stoves churning out heat at full temp and about 2/3rd a cord in the house. The chickens and goats have extra bedding and I topped up their food and water. My Pryenees boys are grudgingly kenneled in the unheated garage and it’s 70 degrees in my bedroom.

I’ve only been here a couple years (this is my 3rd winter) but I can say unequivocally that I LOVE this place. This weather is a feature to me, not a bug. Of course, I’m a Minnesotan by heritage so cold weather is right up my alley.

In the grocery store today I struck up a conversation with a man bun wearing (I think) dude. You know, standard stuff like weather, where you from (cuz there ain’t too many dudes from Montana sporting a man bun in Kalispell). He’s an Oregonian and he’s been here for two winters now. Said we can have it and that he’s headed back. He thought last year was just a fluke with the few cold nights we had, that he can handle snow and temps down to the teens but that this place is downright inhospitable, because negative temps happened two years in a row. I wholeheartedly agreed with him that this place isn’t for everyone. I thought to offer to help him pack, but that would just be mean.

So, the weather has claimed at least one squishy, likely liberal victim in the Flathead so far this winter. Sorry natives, you’re stuck with me. I wouldn’t leave for love nor money.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 7:15:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By Eagle_19er:
-12 now headed to -18 tonight. -24 and -27 for the next couple nights, then we get a heatwave at -16 for a night before summer temps (above zero) return. Ive got both wood stoves churning out heat at full temp and about 2/3rd a cord in the house. The chickens and goats have extra bedding and I topped up their food and water. My Pryenees boys are grudgingly kenneled in the unheated garage and it’s 70 degrees in my bedroom.

I’ve only been here a couple years (this is my 3rd winter) but I can say unequivocally that I LOVE this place. This weather is a feature to me, not a bug. Of course, I’m a Minnesotan by heritage so cold weather is right up my alley.

In the grocery store today I struck up a conversation with a man bun wearing (I think) dude. You know, standard stuff like weather, where you from (cuz there ain’t too many dudes from Montana sporting a man bun in Kalispell). He’s an Oregonian and he’s been here for two winters now. Said we can have it and that he’s headed back. He thought last year was just a fluke with the few cold nights we had, that he can handle snow and temps down to the teens but that this place is downright inhospitable, because negative temps happened two years in a row. I wholeheartedly agreed with him that this place isn’t for everyone. I thought to offer to help him pack, but that would just be mean.

So, the weather has claimed at least one squishy, likely liberal victim in the Flathead so far this winter. Sorry natives, you’re stuck with me. I wouldn’t leave for love nor money.
View Quote

Nice.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 12:44:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 2:12:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Ain't too bad in the Bitteroot. Light snow -2 degrees right now. -7 this morning. Went out and plowed the driveway on the 4 wheeler before work. Little diesel heater is earning it's keep heating the 10x24 shed I work in with the single pane windows and I don't know if there is even any insulation.

I migrated here from Maine so thus far this has been the easiest winter I've had in years.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 2:12:20 PM EDT
[#4]

Probably needs to happen about 200,000 more times.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 2:30:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AMERIKINSHIP:
https://media1.tenor.com/images/2584f4bd127686061a886023f8f71858/tenor.gif?itemid=5908525
Probably needs to happen about 200,000 more times.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/12/2024 4:33:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Third_Rail] [#6]
It's already -23° here. Looking at -49° tonight. I set myself up for sleeping right next to the woodstove so it'll be fine.

I'm sure not going to go outside if I can help it after the sun goes down though!

ETA: I wonder how the beggars and druggies in Bozeman are going to get along tonight. It won't be as cold there but I think it's supposed to be in the -30s.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 8:23:45 PM EDT
[#7]
It was -18 this morning when I left for work and -22 when I left to go home. Usually it's the other way around, colder in the morning and it warms up. The roads are pretty slick, even though the snow isn't melting and refreezing, just compacting into ice. I was fine walking around outside, but needed three+ layers to maintain temperature.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 8:51:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By zaphar:
It was -18 this morning when I left for work and -22 when I left to go home. Usually it's the other way around, colder in the morning and it warms up. The roads are pretty slick, even though the snow isn't melting and refreezing, just compacting into ice. I was fine walking around outside, but needed three+ layers to maintain temperature.
View Quote

Usually it's not too awful unless the wind is whipping snow around. That plus -20° or lower and it starts hurting pretty quick.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 10:52:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Shoveled mine and a few neighbors sidewalks, was -20. My wall insulated coveralls and Arctic muck boots worked just fine. Time to hunker down in the house.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 12:12:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By ravinluna:
Shoveled mine and a few neighbors sidewalks, was -20. My wall insulated coveralls and Arctic muck boots worked just fine. Time to hunker down in the house.
View Quote

This year I finally splurged for some nice cold weather Carharrt bibs, toasty!
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 1:23:12 AM EDT
[#11]
I was getting nervous with how warm it's been. We need more of this
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 1:42:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By dtux:
I was getting nervous with how warm it's been. We need more of this
View Quote

Amen to that! I've smiled every time the forecast changes to be colder for longer.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 7:15:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Dang it. Our 3 year old fell out of bed and started crying. Usually I'll respond to him in the middle of the night, but crutches, a boot, and stairs at 3:45am didn't sound fun. Wife went to the bathroom and got no water. I checked all faucets and the basement where the water comes in...pretty sure our well or line from the well froze...
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 9:20:49 AM EDT
[#14]
-40° in McAllister this morning with no wind, which is unusual. I'm sure there are colder places around Montana.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 9:37:25 AM EDT
[#15]
-45° and glancing around outside before the sun comes up I noticed an issue. I think electrical service is out as far as I can see. Hopefully people didn't skimp on the preps!
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 12:35:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 12:58:28 PM EDT
[#17]
I'll take this anytime over another summer in Florida.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 1:41:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Was -42° in Butte this morning. Haven't  left the house yet. Facebook is full of posts about folks needing jumps, needing space heaters, furnaces out, needing propane, and so on.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 1:44:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 1:50:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Third_Rail:
-45° and glancing around outside before the sun comes up I noticed an issue. I think electrical service is out as far as I can see. Hopefully people didn't skimp on the preps!
View Quote

That will be rough for a lot of people
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 3:37:20 PM EDT
[#21]
-38 in the Northwest corner at 0400 this morning.  Glad the wind died down before the temps dropped.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 4:00:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By spyderboy03:
Dang it. Our 3 year old fell out of bed and started crying. Usually I'll respond to him in the middle of the night, but crutches, a boot, and stairs at 3:45am didn't sound fun. Wife went to the bathroom and got no water. I checked all faucets and the basement where the water comes in...pretty sure our well or line from the well froze...
View Quote
Been working on this for the last 4 hours. Ended up being frozen inside, not outside. Everything is flowing again and I am not finding any leaks! It was -31 feels like -46 in Kalispell at 8am.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 5:46:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By t75fnaco3pwzhd:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Looks like some time in the last hour or two service was restored. Hopefully not too many people had serious issues.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 6:45:15 PM EDT
[#24]
The door handle on my work rig broke off when I tried to open it earlier
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 7:10:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By dtux:
The door handle on my work rig broke off when I tried to open it earlier
View Quote

I love this State.

My doors all froze shut last night. I had to pretty much prybar one open just to get to my shop - and then I had to kick that damn door open.

Ah! Montana. Have to love it!
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 10:06:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Damn automatic door on my chicken coop opened itself last night. Some of my hens got a touch of frostbite. Was -17 inside the coop this morning with two 200w heaters going. I couldn't get the door to close this morning so I boarded it up.

Link Posted: 1/13/2024 10:44:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Damn automatic door on my chicken coop opened itself last night. Some of my hens got a touch of frostbite. Was -17 inside the coop this morning with two 200w heaters going. I couldn't get the door to close this morning so I boarded it up.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/513127/1000001005-3093379.jpg
View Quote

That stinks.

Glitched out due to condensed moisture maybe?
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 10:55:21 PM EDT
[#28]

That stinks.

View All Quotes

That stinks.

Nah the electronics are outside the coop and enclosed. I opened it yesterday so I could install a second heater in the coop without the birds in there. But it was acting funny. Like it was in a different mode than I set the switch to. I had a hard time getting it to close.

Cold does weird things to lubricants. I'm thinking there may be grease in the switch that turned solid from the cold, altering how the conductors were making contact.

Looking at the temperature graph for my coop, I think it opened about 10:30pm
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 10:58:30 PM EDT
[#29]

Nah the electronics are outside the coop and enclosed. I opened it yesterday so I could install a second heater in the coop without the birds in there. But it was acting funny. Like it was in a different mode than I set the switch to. I had a hard time getting it to close.

Cold does weird things to lubricants. I'm thinking there may be grease in the switch that turned solid from the cold, altering how the conductors were making contact.

View All Quotes

That stinks.

That really is rough. Hopefully they'll be alright.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 11:03:15 PM EDT
[#30]

View All Quotes

That stinks.

Its a lot warmer in there tonight with the door boarded up.
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 1:00:42 AM EDT
[#31]
We lost power at Casa de Eagle_19er around 7am. Air temp -31.

7am is about the cold point of the whole day for us because the fires have been burning untended overnight. My wife got the fires stoked up and I got the little inverter/generator started (1st pull ) and we were 70 degrees upstairs when the power came back on around 11am.

The only thing I needed power for this morning was fans to kick heat around. My house is 3100sq ft with a partial vaulted ceiling 24’ tall. Main wood stove is rated for 3200ft. It only cuts it to about 0. Colder than that I fire up the smaller stove in my attached converted garage. That one is rated for 1800sq ft and can get that ~600sq ft room over 80 degrees in these temps With a stand fan in the door it blows a fair amount of heat into the main house.

One neighbor almost had his hottub freeze up on him. He rigged a couple propane heaters and concrete blankets to get by. Another neighbor’s Generac whole home wouldn’t fire over to provide power to his wood boiler’s in floor heat pumps.

We all checked on each other and everyone made it. The normal apoplectic complaining was had on Facebook, though from what I could tell no one was in any real danger.
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 6:32:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Fergus electric has a lot of customers without power today.
Slowly getting power to the people.

Cousin near Lavina has -50f but it is warming up a bit.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 9:46:46 AM EDT
[#33]
Definitely not my favorite weather.

But, if it convinces some people the ‘Yellowstone’ dream isn’t for them…it’s okay.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 9:48:41 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 4:16:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Been working on this for the last 4 hours. Ended up being frozen inside, not outside. Everything is flowing again and I am not finding any leaks! It was -31 feels like -46 in Kalispell at 8am.
View Quote

I just saw this. Here's my message for you:

Dude! I have a phone, truck and tools and you're broken. I could have come and at least leaned on a shovel to encourage you along.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 4:21:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Well, the upstairs bathroom drain pipe froze and broke.  Still working to get one of the water lines to the washer thawed.  Copper pipe, so I hope it didn't break.

Let's see how well USAA does.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 5:03:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By JAG2955:
Well, the upstairs bathroom drain pipe froze and broke.  Still working to get one of the water lines to the washer thawed.  Copper pipe, so I hope it didn't break.

Let's see how well USAA does.
View Quote

Please let us know how USAA handles it. Here or a new thread, whatever. I have them and I'm sure several other members do as well. I'm VERY dubious towards insurance companies these days.

On a related note, I know a lady whose water froze up. She is in a skirted modular home with no insulation in the skirting. I was going to go with a neighbor and try to fix it but one of his guys went out first and saw that the line is broken right at the ground level. That's going to be a big fix. Doubt her insurance will cover because there's no insulation down there.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 6:00:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 6:15:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 7:36:30 PM EDT
[#40]

Dude! I have a phone, truck and tools and you're broken. I could have come and at least leaned on a shovel to encourage you along.
View All Quotes

haha all good! I can hobble around in a boot now! Mostly took that long as I had to remove ceiling tiles in the mechanical room, get a space heater in there, then go around and open and close faucets, etc, all morning. They'd trickle then stop. I'd run the recirc pump on the water heater some (was back feeding into cold supply in addition to the hot), they'd trickle then stop. Turned the heat up to 72 and it eventually let loose. Interestingly enough, the cold supply to the kitchen (furthest run) broke free first. A good hour or two before everything else.
Originally Posted By TOTHEMAX:
They are calling for 4-6" of new snow in the Billings area in the next few days.

They are saying 8-14" for us.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 12:48:45 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By TOTHEMAX:
They are calling for 4-6" of new snow in the Billings area in the next few days.
View Quote

8-14” in the NW valleys and up to 36” in the mountains is what I’m hearing. If I put a guess on it we’ll see 18-20” at my house. We’re higher than the valley but not on a mountain, per se.  

Loving this 1-2 punch of arctic blast and massive snow dump. I could really use another arctic blast. Let’s go ahead and order that up for next week.

The man bun-skinny jeans-karen crowd is definitely rethinking their choice to move here from “the city” with weather like this. I’ll bet some 1st winter folks are wondering what in the hell they got themselves into with the warm fall/early winter we had, followed up by this awesome start to real winter.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 12:51:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Eagle_19er] [#42]

haha all good! I can hobble around in a boot now! Mostly took that long as I had to remove ceiling tiles in the mechanical room, get a space heater in there, then go around and open and close faucets, etc, all morning. They'd trickle then stop. I'd run the recirc pump on the water heater some (was back feeding into cold supply in addition to the hot), they'd trickle then stop. Turned the heat up to 72 and it eventually let loose. Interestingly enough, the cold supply to the kitchen (furthest run) broke free first. A good hour or two before everything else.
View Quote

Well at least it’s on. Good Job! Some people had pipes freeze and burst at the ground level under skirted trailers. I know one lady in such condition. At least one hydrant in town froze and cracked as well, forming a lake on the street.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 7:52:21 PM EDT
[#43]
Let's see, why did my pipes freeze?

Attachment Attached File

Oh. That's why.

Cold air can go from the soffits under the entire upstairs floor and ceiling of the kitchen. Nice job, builders, you drunk fucking shitstains.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top