Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/22/2024 6:01:56 PM EDT
Hey guys and gals in AK, another "what to do" thread.  A bit of background - my uncle lives in Anchorage on the south side, I've been coming up about every other summer since I was 6. 3 summers I spent a month in Anchorage hauling gravel for my uncle's company. Ive been to the Kenai multiple times, Mat-Su area, girdwood, palmer, Whitter and PWS a LOT, done the Denali highway twice, been to Fairbanks, and one year we did a portage of our boat to lake Iliamna for a week (maybe 15-20 yr ago).

I love to fish and obviously any fishing in PWS or out of Resurrection is weather dependent, but I'm trying to tentatively make some plans for a buddy (who has been twice) and myself for a week in an RV. He doesn't mind to fish but hiking is his big thing.

Thinking of Kenai peninsula and Seward for 2-3 days to spend time at my uncle's summer place, halibut/cod fish out of seward, and do a day drift on the Kenai for Sockeye and bows. Perhaps hike exit glacier early AM one day. Then, make the Denali highway run. He has never done it and would like to see what their is to see. Also want to burn a day in Anchorage to catch up with some old friends and hit up South and Mooses tooth.

Any other recs, any decent pullouts to fish the Copper drainage area near Gakona, and any trails or hiking areas on the Denali highway? Of note I did order this years milepost.

Thanks so much for yalls help. Not trying to "schedule" a vacation too much, but also limited to a week this time so want to be efficient with time.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 10:28:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Charters are generally speaking a fair amount cheaper out of Homer.

A lot of people also prefer Homer over Seward as a whole.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 12:54:16 AM EDT
[#2]
The Denali is always good, in my mind.  Generally not a lot of people and yes there are several good places to hike.  Then a visit to Alpine Creek lodge is always in order. Great people there and the food is good!!!  Ozar lake trail is an easy one that can get you into some interesting country.  I like the Eastern end of the Denali, as more open country.  The pull out for the Swede Lake trail is another good trail.  Lots of trails on the Denali.  Might also get to see some wildlife on any of these trails.
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 2:39:55 AM EDT
[#3]
You could always drive down to Mcarthy and check out the old mine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top