Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/18/2023 1:37:20 PM EDT
thinking of coming up in mid July.  Me and wife,  kids are 8&10.

Go with a tour group?  Solo?

I've been to AK once and want the kids to see Anchorage.   Denali is on the list. I'd love to hit the Arctic Ocean but obviously that's way the F out of the way.

Any other must-do items?  We have a week.

Edit, 5/27:    
Tentative stuff so far.  Input apprecaited!
Day 1 (Tuesday)- Arrive ANC.  Car and lodging reserved in Anchorage.
Day 2- drive up to lodging (reserved)  by Denali.  2 nights reserved.  Maybe hit up Talkeetna along the way?  Should I get bear spray?  Bring a firearm?
Day 3 - denali
Day 4 - check out of Denali lodging.  Maybe return to Denali for a few hours, maybe not.  Drive down to .... Wasilla-Palmer ?  Nothing booked yet.
Day 5 (Saturday) - Drive to Seward, 2 day hotel (reserved). Probably hit up some stuff along the way.
Day 6 (Sunday) -   Cruise?  Day hikes?
Day 7 - Check out of Seward hotel, hike Exit Glacier, return to Anchorage (hotel reserved).
Day 8 - fly out ANC

Edit, 6/19:  
To gun, or not to gun?  Spoke with wife yesterday about bringing a 45/70 Guide gun, mostly for those 2 days in Denali.  Is that a bit of overkill, since I doubt I'll be much 'back country?'  I have a 45ACP and a 45 Colt revolver that are a bit more discreet, but .... ?  I'll be flying from WI to CA for a week before going to AK - so having to make 3 flights with firearms.  Other option I have is some folks in the military I know are up that way, maybe borrow a gun from them for a few days?
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 11:43:18 PM EDT
[#1]
How long are you planning to be in Alaska? There is lots to do!  What about visiting the Reindeer farm and Musk ox outside of Palmer. River boat ride to Devils Canyon. This just the tip of what one can do!
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 7:26:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How long are you planning to be in Alaska? There is lots to do!  What about visiting the Reindeer farm and Musk ox outside of Palmer. River boat ride to Devils Canyon. This just the tip of what one can do!
View Quote

Like I said, a week.  I'd rather not spend half of it in puddle jumpers.  No trips to small rural villages,  etc.

I'd love to spend a summer there, honestly. Drive up to the North Shore, run out to Dutch Harbor, go run around Sitka, hovercraft up the Kuskokwim, drop off ammo to ARFCOMers along the way.....

But nope.  1 week.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 12:57:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Like I said, a week.  I'd rather not spend half of it in puddle jumpers.  No trips to small rural villages,  etc.

I'd love to spend a summer there, honestly. Drive up to the North Shore, run out to Dutch Harbor, go run around Sitka, hovercraft up the Kuskokwim, drop off ammo to ARFCOMers along the way.....

But nope.  1 week.[/quote

Seward sea life center
Alaska Native Heritage center in Anchorage

The hovercraft does not take passengers anymore.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 12:50:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Gotta visit either Homer Seward or Valdez.

Stay in a public use cabin if you want a night of roughing it.
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 1:17:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Talkeetna is pretty cool. Esp if you like Maggie and Maurice.
Kenai peninsula hooks you into fishing and bear watching.
And the bush and float planes are the way to go.
This is about the the price of a Disney vacation and is much more memorable.
I am headed back next year purely for fishing.
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 6:57:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 12:31:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 6:05:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
thinking of coming up in mid July.
View Quote

I'd go solo. I'm not really sure you'd get a lot of value from a guided group.

One day (or half a day) in Anchorage is plenty. There is history here, but it's not a true representation of Alaska. I live and work in Anchorage, and honestly if you have time to kill I would take the Anchorage Trolley Tour (https://anchoragetrolley.com). That's the best bang for your buck, and sorry it looks like the Walking Dead with all the homeless people, here. Wife and I took the Trolley a couple of years ago even though we live here, and really enjoyed it. We're thinking about brunch-hopping and doing it again, soon.

I can't say what your initial departing airport is like, but Anchorage Airport's TSA is really good with checking firearms because so many come through here. So if you decide to fly up here with firearms, your return should be pretty much painless. I would bring a pistol if you're comfortable traveling with one. It's not necessary and not even so much for bears, but outside of the urban cities, law enforcement help is a ways out and our biggest problem is two-legged critters. Your route is typical and full of tourists and overtime details for law enforcement so I'm sure there will be no issues, but I always advocate for a pistol, and you might end up getting tired of the crowds and venture further. I know this is ARFCOM, but bear spray works and I've seen it first hand, with your route I wouldn't make it an expense unless you just feel it gives you peace of mind. Your areas will have a ton of people and you may get some trash bears where yelling and clapping will suffice. I don't mean that in a bad way, in order to really explore Alaska you need a float plane, a beat up 4x4, snowmachine (in the winter), or really good hiking legs. We just don't have the gravel road system like the Lower 48.

The Alaska Sealife Center in Seward should be a priority (https://www.alaskasealife.org/). I honestly think it's one of Alaska's greatest assets.

Homer is really busy in the summer but it's my second favorite place on earth. It's a few hours down and back out of your way, but if you can swing it I highly recommend it. It's beautiful, great food, great walks. Rooms might already be booked, and if there are some available do research - some are gross and shady. If you live next to the ocean though it might not be that exciting (I'm from Montana, so I'm biased towards the "Awesome Ocean"). But the drive down there will expose you to some outstanding views.

Link Posted: 6/28/2023 7:41:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 6:15:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Thanks, I did some searches, but sometimes they can be all over the place.

Seems jeans and a light jacket should be mostly sufficient.
For me.
Wife will be packing like an Arctic explorer.
View Quote

Yeah, my wife will be a bit too; in all fairness me and the kids are coming up from SoCal so we might be de-aclimated. Plus it's been a warm summer in WI.
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 9:04:45 PM EDT
[#11]
I’m leaving for Alaska tomorrow. Last year we spent 2 nights in Anchorage, 4 in Cooper Landing and 3 in Seward. We’re skipping Cooper Landing in favor of Homer this year.

On the packing front, I don’t remember being cold at all last year. Just wet. It rains a lot on the Kenai this time of year.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 9:58:10 PM EDT
[#12]
I spend a lot of time in Seward. 10mm or even 9mm with Buffalo Bore HC sometimes. Honestly for what you're doing I'd just carry my EDC with HC lead loads. No need to deal with 45-70 or shotty. Tonsina Point is my favorite hike here, but Exit Glacier is appealing for those that don't live next to glaciers. I'd probably do a glacier cruise out of Seward too if you want to see more glaciers and sea life. The Seward Sea Life Center is a cool way to kill an hour or two. Make sure you get some rockfish tacos at Lone Chicharron and some gelato at the shop a block or so to the south from there.

Don't drive back to Palmer/Wasilla on day 4. Explore Denali area. Day 5 on your way to Seward make sure you take a few hours to traverse Hatchers Pass. Check out Independence Mine while you're up there. Don't plan on having cell service, so do your planning before you hit the road. You'll come out of Hatchers Pass on the Palmer side. Take the Old Glenn Highway on your way back to Anchorage.

Day 6:

Morning do a Kenai Fjords boat tour.
Afternoon hike to Tonsina Point. It's easy and well travelled. Can be muddy if it's been raining.

Make sure you get Moose's Tooth Pizza in Anchorage. Go at an off time or you'll wait an hour. 3pm or 9pm is good.

Clothing, I never wear jeans or cotton. Kuiu Attack pants or similar. You won't need long thermal bottoms except maybe on the boat if it's a cold day. Light to medium thermal base top, fleece shirt, pack a puffy and rain jacket and you're covered for layers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top