Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/2/2024 5:11:08 PM EDT
I just received a jury summons from Dallas County, from the George Allen Courthouse.  Are there questions that cannot be asked?  

It also has questions that are required to be answered but I cannot truthfully answer due to the restrictive format of the questionnaire.  Questions such as home phone (I don't have one), work phone (I'm retired), wife's name and occupation (I'm widowed), etc...

What I've seen so far, it also doesn't have a place to request a deferral...I'll be out of state on that date.

Anyone have any opinions, help, suggestions?

Thanks,

mm
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 5:26:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd call the Clerk's office.   Government is gonna be inefficient and dumb, and your best bet is to talk to a real human being and hope they're half competent and care.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 5:27:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By mm38:
I just received a jury summons from Dallas County, from the George Allen Courthouse.  Are there questions that cannot be asked?  

It also has questions that are required to be answered but I cannot truthfully answer due to the restrictive format of the questionnaire.  Questions such as home phone (I don't have one), work phone (I'm retired), wife's name and occupation (I'm widowed), etc...

What I've seen so far, it also doesn't have a place to request a deferral...I'll be out of state on that date.

Anyone have any opinions, help, suggestions?

Thanks,

mm
View Quote

Leave something blank or put none in the box.  Also, if you are out of state at that time, call the court, request a deferral to the next jury selection, it will probably be 30-40 days after the current one. They always grant this for one time deferral.

Other option is ignore the summons.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 5:46:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TheAmaazingCarl

I'd call the Clerk's office.   Government is gonna be inefficient and dumb, and your best bet is to talk to a real human being and hope they're half competent and care.  Good luck.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TheAmaazingCarl

@TheAmaazingCarl,  thanks for such a quick reply.  I think I may have to do that.  Not looking forward to the wait on the phone and possible IDGAF of the person on the other end.

Originally Posted By r-2-k-b-a:

Leave something blank or put none in the box.  Also, if you are out of state at that time, call the court, request a deferral to the next jury selection, it will probably be 30-40 days after the current one. They always grant this for one time deferral.

I tried that, the system rejected the submissions.   I like the previous system more, you could just type in complete answers and the deferral request was right up front.

Other option is ignore the summons.

I can't do that.  More than a decade ago LawDog101 (James) impressed upon me the importance of the jury summons.  I have a duty to report for jury duty, I have the responsibility to render the correct decision.  I don't want to disappoint my friend.

mm
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 5:49:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I went once, didn't like the questions of basically being threatened on how I answer. I gave a lot of short vague answers because it pissed me off.

They kept all of us there all day, intrusively interviewed us in front of everyone. I'm glad I wasn't selected.

After that I claimed I had a child with a disability, which I do.

They sent me a few more summons, I got busy, forgot to send the card. ooopps

Yeah, exactly nothing happened.

Link Posted: 4/3/2024 6:07:49 AM EDT
[#5]
well gosh why not just use your cell # for your home phone because well duh if its your only phone it is the one you use at home. I would say the same about your "work" number because your SS payment is your retirement job.

but hey I try to be sensible and reasonable over being a Karen and bitching about nothing burgers.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 7:13:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mm38] [#6]
Originally Posted By shadycoh:
well gosh why not just use your cell # for your home phone because well duh if its your only phone it is the one you use at home. I would say the same about your "work" number because your SS payment is your retirement job.

but hey I try to be sensible and reasonable over being a Karen and bitching about nothing burgers.
View Quote

It won't let you use the same number more than once.  And I'm not eligible for Social Security.

Were you the one that created the questionnaire?

Link Posted: 4/3/2024 8:20:21 AM EDT
[#7]
214-555-1212/ 469-555-1212

Link Posted: 4/3/2024 8:54:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By mm38:

It won't let you use the same number more than once.  And I'm not eligible for Social Security.

Were you the one that created the questionnaire?

View Quote

nope but I bet I could figure out how to get by the questions in under 5 minutes ;)
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 9:58:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Was it certified mail?

How would they know/confirm you even received the summons?
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 11:16:54 AM EDT
[#10]
It's been resolved and I've been put back into the queue.  I explained the issue to the first person in the Clerk's Office and she forwarded me to the person that handles that issue...I shouldn't need to put in false information to complete the questionnaire.

mm
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 7:43:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Austin4130:
Was it certified mail?

How would they know/confirm you even received the summons?
View Quote

Thats right.  And why you can ignore it and nothing can be done to you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top