Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/12/2023 9:10:21 AM EDT
I am moving to Las Vegas in the next month and was starting to dig up information on shooting ranges in the area. I have experience shooting action pistol and have an interest in shooting cmp rifle at some point. Is desert sportsmans rifle club the default in the area? How does it compare to the clark county facilities? I have been shooting in Oklahoma at the OKC gun club for a few years and was looking for something similar. Any information would be helpful.
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 11:15:59 AM EDT
[#1]
I live near the Clark County facility but almost always shoot atDesert Sportsman even though it’s about 20 minutes farther from me. The Clark County facility is actually fairly nice but you have to accept that it has limited hours and you will shoot for like 15-20 minutes and then the range will go cold for 10 minutes (can’t remember the exact times). There are also a lot of novice shooters there and people who don’t know what they are doing which always makes me nervous to be around which is why their RO’s are necessarily strict.

I sometimes shoot NFA stuff and whip no one has ever questioned my stuff actually the ROs definitely give me the stink eye on some of my stuff. This never happens at Desert Sportsman. Obviously the downside of DS is the cost but depending on how much you shoot DS can be the better deal.
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 2:49:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks. Looks like I will be driving a bit as well then.
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 3:40:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Check out Boulder rifle & pistol club also
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 6:45:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 7:08:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Desert Sportsman is accepting applications.  I got in last year within a month, YMMV. $100/yr for senior.
https://dsrpc.org/membership-application-and-waiting-list/
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 3:16:22 PM EDT
[#6]
It is like that at the OKCGC. They take applications in the fall and process accepted members once a year. It's not a huge deal. You can shoot comps without being a member.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 10:32:30 AM EDT
[#7]
You should also check out Boulder Rifle and Pistol Club. Once again, a bit of a drive but it's a very nice range with lots of different types of competitions.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 12:30:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Where will you be living OP? Could influence where you want to become a member.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 8:13:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Boulder City Pistol and Rifle Range is where you will be shooting. It is simply a great place.
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 11:08:05 PM EDT
[#10]
I run the CMP matches at Desert Sportsman’s and live down the street from CCSC.  I use them both.  There are plenty of matches in many different disciplines at both Desert Sportsman’s and Boulder.  As a non member you can shoot matches at Desert Sportsman’s with a $10 gate fee plus the specific match fee.
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 7:52:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Boulder matches are usually open to the public with only the match fee.
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 11:13:32 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm in north Vegas near Decatur and Lone mountain. Not too far at all from Clark county range I think. We are all settled in and now I'm looking around.
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 3:52:17 PM EDT
[#13]
I live in that area. Let me know if you want to roll out to DS to check it out.
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 12:58:30 AM EDT
[#14]
I’m near North Decatur and the 215, just down the road from Clark County.  We are having a CMP match at Desert Sportsman’s this Saturday at noon.
Link Posted: 10/14/2023 11:07:57 PM EDT
[#15]
I might check into the cmp matches at some point and work on some service rifle. I will look through the calendar and see what is going on. Today we rolled out a bit northeast of town and found a shooting spot on blm land just off the highway a bit on 93. Once I get back into it a bit I am sure I will look for a few things more structured, but for now I think this works.
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 1:25:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Devildog, if you are in Los Prados... I walk a Lab and or a White "Golden retriever"...

Also a member of Desert Sportsman's and would be glad to take you there to check it out.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top