Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2023 2:34:47 PM EDT
Anyone happen to know the law regarding carry on hospital grounds? Shots fired incident at MercyOne today and debriefing stated there was an AD by an individual accompanying a patient. I am not sure what exactly that means nor not sure what happened as I was not working at the time.
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 2:54:17 PM EDT
[#1]
There are no iowa weapons laws specifically about hospitals.
There are laws about carrying on school property, and some hospitals might overlap with school property in various ways, like the University of Iowa hospital chain.
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 10:57:36 PM EDT
[#2]
This is the bulletin from the police for the "violent intruder alert" at MercyOne. I am unsure if there will be charges filed.

On Friday, December 29th, at approximately 9:40 AM Waterloo Police responded to a report of a shot being fired at Mercy One.   There were no injuries and no suspects.   When the Officers arrived, they located what appeared to be damage from one gun shot in a restroom.   Officers and hospital staff investigated the incident and were able to locate the person responsible, off the hospital campus.   The person responsible reported the weapon had gone off accidentally and he got scared and left the hospital.  

This incident remains under investigation.
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 12:09:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Negligent discharge.

Iowa has no statutes prohibiting the possession of firearms in the following locations, although administrative regulations may apply:

Parks;
Hospitals;
Places of worship;
Bars or restaurants where alcohol is served;
Sports arenas;
Gambling facilities; or
Polling places.

Link Posted: 12/31/2023 10:47:55 PM EDT
[#4]
MercyOne has Gun Free Zone signs on the doors. It’s handled as criminal trespass.  There were a couple times cars rolled up with bullet holes and a shooting victim and  I just asked them to leave their guns and knives in the car cause it freaks out the nurses. Even the bad guys are fairly compliant when they have a buddy with holes in them and want medical help. Sometimes injured people are brought to the ER with a pistol. Public Safety secures it in a lock box and returns it when they leave ( no charges filed). Lock your toys in the trunk if you’re visiting.
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 3:22:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Urimaginaryfrnd:
MercyOne has Gun Free Zone signs on the doors. It’s handled as criminal trespass.  There were a couple times cars rolled up with bullet holes and a shooting victim and  I just asked them to leave their guns and knives in the car cause it freaks out the nurses. Even the bad guys are fairly compliant when they have a buddy with holes in them and want medical help. Sometimes injured people are brought to the ER with a pistol. Public Safety secures it in a lock box and returns it when they leave ( no charges filed). Lock your toys in the trunk if you’re visiting.
View Quote

Dude had a NG in the bathroom and left as dude was scared. Intruder code was called and the whole place freaked. Tomorrow should be an interesting day at work.
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 3:20:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Urimaginaryfrnd:
View Quote

Signs don't bear weight of law

No trespass is commited unless you ask some to leave and they refuse
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top