Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2023 4:11:33 PM EDT
I have a fairly lucrative opportunity to take a contract up in Unalaska for a couple years.

I’ve talked with the current staff and recruiter and of course it’s all roses.

I’m looking for input from the Hive members regarding what life is like, living on the island, especially while trying to raise young kids/family.

Housing and vehicle would be provided and it’s a fairly significant pay raise with lots of PTO. Obviously food is much more expensive and travel to and from is ridiculous. However, It seems the island has normal things for a small town (pool, gym, bowling alley, movie theatre, etc) schools score pretty well too.

I’ve lived in the sierras so cold and snow isn’t a foreign concept, but no trees will be a new one.

Thanks I’m advance for any input ya’ll.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 6:56:07 PM EDT
[#1]
@akcaribouhunter  he might not have specific info on that area But he can tell you what Alaska life is like off the road system in general.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 10:15:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I have a fairly lucrative opportunity to take a contract up in Unalaska for a couple years.

I've talked with the current staff and recruiter and of course it's all roses.

I'm looking for input from the Hive members regarding what life is like, living on the island, especially while trying to raise young kids/family.

Housing and vehicle would be provided and it's a fairly significant pay raise with lots of PTO. Obviously food is much more expensive and travel to and from is ridiculous. However, It seems the island has normal things for a small town (pool, gym, bowling alley, movie theatre, etc) schools score pretty well too.

I've lived in the sierras so cold and snow isn't a foreign concept, but no trees will be a new one.

Thanks I'm advance for any input ya'll.
View Quote
First and foremost is your wife ready for Bush Alaska?
Many are not ready for the remoteness and shopping.
Being on a island can be very wearing on people not use to it.
Weather can be horrible with wind.

Price out tickets in and out of Unalaska. Very $$$$.
Price out food.
The economy (fishing and crabbing) has crashed for a few years now.

I can ask my cousin who has worked there.

Unalaska/Dutch is not as bad as my area.

I live in mainland SW.
Link Posted: 1/19/2023 3:43:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I loved it there.

But, it’s expensive. Very expensive.  And sometimes you can’t leave. All your travel plans need to have 2 or 3 days flexibility built in.

It’s fairly temperate for Alaska. Not that cold, not much snow in the winter.
Link Posted: 1/19/2023 7:24:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, you be about as isolated as it gets down along that way. Lots of wind. But not that far from Adak if you ever wanna do some caribou hunting
Link Posted: 1/19/2023 8:45:32 PM EDT
[#5]
It has been many decades since I worked in Dutch Harbor.  As a mechanic, the work was long hours and at times challenging!  But I also enjoyed time fishing and hiking the area.  Yes, the food prices are high as is transportation cost.  If you can deal with those, go for it!!!!
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 4:23:32 PM EDT
[#6]
You and your wife need to visit beforehand if it's a two year commitment.

I go to Dutch 4-5 times a year for work and you could not pay me enough to raise a family there.
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 10:52:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Did you ever end up there?
Link Posted: 9/26/2023 11:22:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Nope.

As soon as I attempted to negotiate any of the terms, I was ghosted by the recruiter/CEO and they stopped responding to emails.

Interestingly enough, the position is still posted.

The costs to fly in and out with a family of 5 probably makes it cost prohibitive anyways, though I still daydream about rural Alaska medicine. Until then I’ll keep slaving away in a rural (for the lower 48) ER until I find something else.
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 5:32:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nope.

As soon as I attempted to negotiate any of the terms, I was ghosted by the recruiter/CEO and they stopped responding to emails.

Interestingly enough, the position is still posted.

The costs to fly in and out with a family of 5 probably makes it cost prohibitive anyways, though I still daydream about rural Alaska medicine. Until then I'll keep slaving away in a rural (for the lower 48) ER until I find something else.
View Quote
Rural hub hospitals and urban ones are desperate for workers.

Ykhc is very desperate.
But housing is VERY VERY TOUGH.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top