Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/29/2023 9:10:48 PM EDT
I grew up in WV, spent the first 33 years of my life there (in Southern WV and Morgantown), moved to NV for work and spent 3 years out here.  The company I was working for was huge and acted like a huge, public company so it didn't work out.  So I accepted a job in the Strasburg/Middletown area in VA.  We've been Zillow shopping for houses and it seems like I can get a lot nicer house for the same price if I'm willing to drive 45 minutes to an hour.  90% of my adult life I've drove that far or farther for work so I'm up for it.

So, with my previous history in life, is there anything I should know about the area?  I'm assuming that it's different than the other three areas I've spent most of my life, but not by a whole lot.  Is there any area that houses seen to be going for a decent price without a ton of meth heads?  

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 7:59:27 PM EDT
[#1]
The hubby does RE photography for this guy.  Give him a call and tell him what you're looking for.
https://www.longandfoster.com/AgentSearch/WAaronPoling-10482105

Between Augusta or Berkeley Springs, I'd pick Augusta.  Berkeley Springs is growing pretty quickly because commuters can access Hagerstown and Frederick, MD pretty easily.  Augusta and Paw Paw haven't been hit hard with the craptastic Ryan Homes HOA subdivisions (yet).
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 9:33:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Bubbles:
The hubby does RE photography for this guy.  Give him a call and tell him what you're looking for.
https://www.longandfoster.com/AgentSearch/WAaronPoling-10482105

Between Augusta or Berkeley Springs, I'd pick Augusta.  Berkeley Springs is growing pretty quickly because commuters can access Hagerstown and Frederick, MD pretty easily.  Augusta and Paw Paw haven't been hit hard with the craptastic Ryan Homes HOA subdivisions (yet).
View Quote

The company that I'm going to uses a third party for all of the screening and moving.  The realtor they connected me with works for the same company.  That sets me at ease a little bit

There's been a few nice places pop up in Augusta that we've seen.  We're selling our house out here, so we'll have to wait till it sells to buy something else, but we live in a growing town with a 4 bedroom house.  Two of the three realtors we've talked to tell us it'll go quickly.
Link Posted: 11/7/2023 1:34:15 PM EDT
[#3]
If you move to Augusta area watch your speed going through capon bridge. The speed limit is like 8mph  All I got.
Link Posted: 11/7/2023 3:28:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By axeldog:
If you move to Augusta area watch your speed going through capon bridge. The speed limit is like 8mph  All I got.
View Quote

LOL it's 20 mph.  There's a deputy that likes to sit in one of the empty parking lots and catch people going west on Rt 50 as they come off that downhill curve.  I wave at him when I go by and I even use all my fingers.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 8:19:16 PM EDT
[#5]

LOL it's 20 mph.  There's a deputy that likes to sit in one of the empty parking lots and catch people going west on Rt 50 as they come off that downhill curve.  I wave at him when I go by and I even use all my fingers.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By axeldog:

Noted.  I use to drive to from Madison to Whitesville for work and they had a few little towns that did that.
Link Posted: 11/11/2023 12:43:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Craddock:
Noted.  I use to drive to from Madison to Whitesville for work and they had a few little towns that did that.
View Quote

Normally the speed limit is higher but there is construction on the bridge on the west side, hence the lower limit and tougher enforcement.

It really doesn't gain you anything to speed through town because it's down in a valley, so once you're out of town you get stuck in a train behind a logging truck anyway.
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 9:19:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Paw paw homes prices have gotten stupid Huigh versus 4 years ago

2019 2 3 bedroom home 90 to 120k

Now 250 to 400k out there same thru were I kive south of paw paw a couple miles

Bloomery is nice but again look at homes  and look at what they sold for 5 years ago

I've been seeing lots more headlights this year versus the last 2

I do my part and when there's a open house I have fun

Rip a. Few rounds off

Couple 2lb tannerite charges

Realtors hate me
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 3:16:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Berkley Springs is a cool town, but I wouldn't want to to live there.

I like the Augusta area, it's very rural though. I live about 35 minutes from there.

My wife is a realtor and cover that area, I can give you her info of you want, just PM me.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 9:40:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By gunhand1:
Berkley Springs is a cool town, but I wouldn't want to to live there.

I like the Augusta area, it's very rural though. I live about 35 minutes from there.

My wife is a realtor and cover that area, I can give you her info of you want, just PM me.
View Quote

I'd like to take you up on the offer, but I'm relocating for my new job so they have already set me up with a realtor that is use to the relocation process.  There's a bunch of regulations and shit they have to follow for taxes.  It's a complicated mess on the paperwork end, but it saves me a boatload.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 9:43:05 AM EDT
[#10]
I've got an accepted contingent offer in on a house in Augusta.  For now I'm just waiting to sale my house out west and stressing out that it happens before I run out of money from staying at the cheapest Airbnb I could find that isnt just a room in a house.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 9:51:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bubbles] [#11]
Originally Posted By Craddock:
I've got an accepted contingent offer in on a house in Augusta.  For now I'm just waiting to sale my house out west and stressing out that it happens before I run out of money from staying at the cheapest Airbnb I could find that isnt just a room in a house.
View Quote

Hopefully you won't need it but... https://www.bankrate.com/mortgages/bridge-loan/#what-is

And welcome to the neighborhood!
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 10:21:32 AM EDT
[#12]

Hopefully you won't need it but... https://www.bankrate.com/mortgages/bridge-loan/#what-is

And welcome to the neighborhood!
View Quote

Hopefully it doesn't come to that with the bridge loan.  I've lived in WV 33 years overall.  Born and grew up here, just spent the last 3 years in NV.

If the appraisal goes good I think the owner will let me rent till I sell my old house.  He was there during the home inspection and we were talking about it.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 10:46:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Any updates? I live South of Berkeley Springs. Not sure I'll stay here. The Augusta area is looking better every day.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 4:28:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By 2IDdoc:
Any updates? I live South of Berkeley Springs. Not sure I'll stay here. The Augusta area is looking better every day.
View Quote

Last time I drove up 522 thru Berkeley springs I was

Houses in Romney delray and rio with 5 acres or more have skyrocketed I noticed on zillow

My area seems to have priced everyone out as well. Just hope I don't loose it

Co worker at my last job lives in Augusta.  

He siad last I saw him at a store

Locals are being stupid with new folks who've moved into Augusta

And dogs

Lots of abandoned dogs in the woods

And the other day I really started noticing the increase in cars from the Stateline store on rt127 to 522

60 cars west bound in 10-15minutes from rt522 to the store

And my neighbors wonder why I have fun during open house hours making noise

Link Posted: 2/10/2024 10:23:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By kbi:
View Quote

I may or may not know a guy who regularly popped off tannerite targets when a subdivision went in next to his property and the first houses started selling.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 1:19:13 PM EDT
[#16]

I may or may not know a guy who regularly popped off tannerite targets when a subdivision went in next to his property and the first houses started selling.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By kbi:

@Bubbles

Lots of people from northern VA or DC I've seen have bough houses nearby

And haven't fully enjoyed them

Expecting them tk show up when it warms up

And I have alot of tannerite to remove tree stumps and pile of branches to burn on my 10 acres

Throw in a little unsuppressed time I'm shure they'll be like

Omg did you know this?

I can't take the noise or smoke

Who's always burning stuff

Link Posted: 2/13/2024 6:01:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Well... if you need help making noises that go BRAAAAAAAAAAAP instead of bang let me and my hubby know.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 10:48:00 AM EDT
[#18]
I know I’m late to the show, but if you have a job in Strasburg/Middletown I would have been looking in the Wardensville area…straight shot down 55 to Strasburg or Middletown…30-35 minutes
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 10:27:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By GE-Mini-Gun:
I know I’m late to the show, but if you have a job in Strasburg/Middletown I would have been looking in the Wardensville area…straight shot down 55 to Strasburg or Middletown…30-35 minutes
View Quote

@GE-Mini-Gun

Rt48/rt55 would work

Just make shure your tires are rated fkr the bad weather in the area

I was just looking at prices there

Like everywhere else rural

Holy shit

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top