Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/13/2024 9:00:37 AM EDT
Hey Guys and yeah another one of those threads.  Currently in NC but want to get west of the Mississippi.  SD looks real good to me.  Since we are older, we need to be closer to town than I'd like but that's how it is.  So looking for something on the outskirts of Rapid City or Sioux Falls.  I know this whole east river/west river thing. I am torn between a mid-west and western setting.  

Sounds like it's growing and houses are going fast.  Hope I'm not too late.

Link Posted: 4/13/2024 7:32:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Welcome to South Dakota!  This state will always be a great state to live in!  No, you are not to late to move here,  plenty of houses here to choose from.   I live in Sioux Falls here.  Sioux Falls has great hospitals and health care here!  Cost of living here is lower than all the other large cities,  no state income tax, and many other reasons to live here!  I am sure someone could say the same thing about Rapid City.   We also have a great Governor who is working hard to make and keep South Dakota a great state to live in.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 8:23:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I like Pierre. Down in that valley, and it looks like a nice town.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:02:26 AM EDT
[#3]
You mentioned Gov Kristi Noem and I'm a big fan, have been for a long time.   But she's term limited after this term - any insights into who the heir apparent might be?    
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 12:17:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Too early to tell who the next Governor will be!  South Dakota always picks an excellent Republican Governor!
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 1:39:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I like Sioux Falls and it does have excellent medical care ( 3 docs and 1 RN in the family).  They've also got some very good "nightlife" and pretty much all the shopping you could need.  Growth in the area is really high, so housing prices reflect that (not that West River is any better).  Yes, they have rush hours.  

But I like the Southern Hills better.  Slower pace, less traffic (except during the motorcycle rally) and much better outdoor recreation opportunities.  Rapid has good medical facilities and fulfills most of my shopping requirements.  

As of my father's death last month, I'm now a land owner in SD (Custer area).  We'll probably split our time between North Texas and The Hills once my wife retires (next year).
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 2:36:17 PM EDT
[#6]
SD is mostly G2G but make sure you actually see the house/neighborhood/town you're moving to before buying. I work with people just moving here for my job and see it all the time - find a great deal on a house and then realize why it was a great deal.
There are towns that just get ignored and are swamps for meth use and other criminals hiding. And other towns that border reservations that certainly have their disadvantages you might not like dealing with as a retired guy.

Link Posted: 4/14/2024 8:36:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By John50:
Too early to tell who the next Governor will be!  South Dakota always picks an excellent Republican Governor!
View Quote
Probably Jackass Jackley.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 7:47:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Hmmm ok thanks for all responses.  Yeah I know it ain't gonna be prefect and I'm sure as shit planning on a recon before buying, but all n all, it sounds pretty good to me, at this point in time.  

The funny thing is there are more peeps in Charlotte, NC where I (presently) live than all of SD, which is a good start as far as I'm concerned.

And, by all accounts, it's still a very conservative area.  Even the neighborhood descriptions mention this fact, less some wayward liberal consider living there.  

I'm thinking I can't go wrong, dam-near anywhere in the state, as long as local conditions are good.  And if I make it to 70, Imma gonna celebrate by buying one of them there ammo bunkers that one dude is selling.  Now that there is the ultimate man cave.  We could have an arfcom RV.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:14:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TrailFork] [#9]
Yep you'll definitely need a few recon trips.  I'd been to the Black Hills region a few times before but only recently started looking at it through the lens of my next home.     We learned on our last recon trip there that while we really, really like Custer for example, it's a bit too small even for me considering proximity to "bigger city" things like Lowes for projects for example in Rapid City is ~45 minutes away when you need them.   Contrast that with Hermosa which is microscopic even compared to Custer, BUT you're only 15 minutes to Rapid.

No doubt you've already thought of this but get out of the hotels and do VRBO / AirBnB for several days in different locations to get a better feel for the "vibe" of an area.  Go out and do the things you normally do at home when running errands.    For us, nightlight/restaurants aren't high on our list but they might be for some.

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 7:32:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Yeah I'm definitely with you at that one.  Nightlife, meh, don't really give a rat at this point.  Looking for good solid folks as neighbors, vs all the urbanites I'm dealing with now.  

Getting our house ready to go on market as we speak.  As soon as it sells, we're out of here.  

BTW anybody ever heard of Black Hills Gear?  Saw a new belt kit in another thread.  Need to check in with those boys.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:31:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Diz:
 Nightlife, meh, don't really give a rat at this point.  
View Quote

To be clearer...  by Custer "nightlife" I meant some pretty good restaurants and a couple of places to grab a good beer.  It's definitely not a town with singles bars.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:34:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Diz:
Yeah I'm definitely with you at that one.  Nightlife, meh, don't really give a rat at this point.  Looking for good solid folks as neighbors, vs all the urbanites I'm dealing with now.  

Getting our house ready to go on market as we speak.  As soon as it sells, we're out of here.  

BTW anybody ever heard of Black Hills Gear?  Saw a new belt kit in another thread.  Need to check in with those boys.
View Quote

Black Hills Designs? I'm friends with the owner, great people!
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:51:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By The_Dog:

To be clearer...  by Custer "nightlife" I meant some pretty good restaurants and a couple of places to grab a good beer.  It's definitely not a town with singles bars.
View Quote

Hey Dog, wasn't pointing at you when I made a comment earlier about "nightlife";  more of a nod to people who leave a much bigger city for a more rural setting and then are surprised when they don't have the same range of opportunities.  To me it's a "well duh!" but I've seen it before and have had people that didn't know me well enough yet caution me about it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:09:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By TrailFork:
Hey Dog, wasn't pointing at you when I made a comment earlier about "nightlife";  more of a nod to people who leave a much bigger city for a more rural setting and then are surprised when they don't have the same range of opportunities.  To me it's a "well duh!" but I've seen it before and have had people that didn't know me well enough yet caution me about it.
View Quote

No, it's all good.  My skin is pretty thick.  But sometimes Rapid seems like it's too close.  

It's not very often that I've felt the need to drive into Rapid for shopping.  Between the Do It Best and Ace in Custer, I've gotten most of what I need for home repair stuff.  And the grocery store in Custer has a decent selection of beers, booze and beef.  And of course, Amazon delivers.

The times I have driven into Rapid, it's been for things like bicycle tubes or other niche stuff.  Or sometimes just for a change of pace and a meal at Firehouse.

My sister and BIL just bought a place up in Spearfish, and I've spent very little time up there.  So looking forward to exploring that way.  It's a lot further than going to Rapid and yeah, I know about the upcoming road construction on 385, but driving in the Hills is enjoyable.  

Sidebar:  Any word on Sugar Shack rebuild?  My google-foo isn't providing any good news.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 2:48:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By The_Dog:Sidebar:  Any word on Sugar Shack rebuild?  My google-foo isn't providing any good news.
View Quote

Wait, what happened to the best burger joint in the state?? We didn't make it out west for any ATV trips last year...
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:02:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By b_saan:

Wait, what happened to the best burger joint in the state?? We didn't make it out west for any ATV trips last year...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By The_Dog:Sidebar:  Any word on Sugar Shack rebuild?  My google-foo isn't providing any good news.

Burned to the ground. That's the first place the wife and I ate on our honeymoon.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:06:17 PM EDT
[#17]
View Quote

I'm sorry to report that it burned to the ground back in mid December.
https://www.newscenter1.tv/multimedia/sugar-shack-update-photos-after-overnight-fire/article_ae66bcc4-9a98-11ee-8047-af48a0791d19.html
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 11:25:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Well that completely sucks, thanks for the update. We always stopped to eat there a couple times a year every time we were out west on the trails. Hopefully they're able to rebuild.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 3:00:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By TrailFork:
We learned on our last recon trip there that while we really, really like Custer for example, it's a bit too small even for me considering proximity to "bigger city" things like Lowes for projects for example in Rapid City is ~45 minutes away when you need them.   Contrast that with Hermosa which is microscopic even compared to Custer, BUT you're only 15 minutes to Rapid.

View Quote

Thats because youre living the CO lifestyle where you MUST funnel cash to corporations that hate you
You go to the family owned ace or do it best in custer
You order your materials for your project for pickup there or buy lumber directly locally
If your well pressure switch kicks the bucket on a tuesday you just grab one in custer you dont drive all the way to rapid for that
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:01:22 AM EDT
[#20]
I'm on the east side and unless you're set to buy some land I'd recommend the west as well.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:39:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By AbleArcher:
I'm on the east side and unless you're set to buy some land I'd recommend the west as well.
View Quote

Every time I visit the family in Sioux Falls, I'm amazed how much more construction there is over my previous visit.

And land prices around SF?

Yeah...  head west. Though land prices out there aren't much better.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:44:45 AM EDT
[#22]
Well that completely sucks, thanks for the update. We always stopped to eat there a couple times a year every time we were out west on the trails. Hopefully they're able to rebuild.
View Quote

A rebuild would be nice,  but I'm not optimistic.  I believe the family who owned it also owns the nearby gas station/food store.   That place seems to be getting all their attention.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:02:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Well guys I can see there are pitfalls no matter where you go, but trust me, it's a matter of scale.  I have moved twice when the town I was in got too big.  That's a double-edged sword, in that your property value always goes up, but then you get the whole package that comes with it.  When I say down-sizing I mean literally the whole danged affair.  So for sure, looking at a small town that I can live (and probably die) in before it gets too stupid.

Looking to get out there next month.  Can't wait.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 2:42:55 PM EDT
[#24]
East river here, about 90 miles NW of Sioux Falls, deep in farm country. Absolutely love it, great people, good fishing and hunting, and still some affordable places out here. The drive to town for groceries is a minor pain, but we only do it once a month. There are some other cities closer to Sioux Falls that are not as big but seem pretty nice.

All-in-all a great place to live, wish they'd drop the property tax some though. Kinda high.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 8:10:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By pokey074:
Burned to the ground. That's the first place the wife and I ate on our honeymoon.
View All Quotes

My wife is long time friends with the owners. They have started the rebuild.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 4:41:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: The_Dog] [#26]
Originally Posted By luv_the_huskers:

View Quote

Damn...  that's some good news finally.  I can't count the times I've sat at the bar drinking cheap beers and eating the best greasy burger for 100s of miles.  

Unless US 385 is just fubar with road construction, we're planning a drive-by in a couple of weeks to see what's going on.  Sugar Shack is right at the north end of where construction starts this summer.

ETA:  Info on said road construction - https://us-385.com/
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:33:14 PM EDT
[#27]

View All Quotes

Yes! Any word on when it'll open again?
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:30:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: b_saan] [#28]

A rebuild would be nice,  but I'm not optimistic.  I believe the family who owned it also owns the nearby gas station/food store.   That place seems to be getting all their attention.
View All Quotes

Is that Custer Crossing with the camper hookups that they just rebuilt across from Roubaix Lake park?

Woohoo! That's great news.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:40:42 PM EDT
[#29]

Is that Custer Crossing with the camper hookups that they just rebuilt across from Roubaix Lake park?
View All Quotes

I'm not sure.  I was only told about a gas station/store "nearby".  That campground is about 6 miles north of the Sugar Shack site.  In Texas, that would be nearby.  So maybe?
Link Posted: Yesterday 2:29:36 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm in Sioux Falls.  I'd prefer to live almost anywhere else in SD than here.
Link Posted: Yesterday 6:55:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Dissident:
View Quote

I like visiting,  but it's getting very "busy."
Link Posted: Yesterday 7:52:04 PM EDT
[#32]

I like visiting,  but it's getting very "busy."
View Quote

I grew up there and I can't stand going there anymore. Don't recognize it, and feel no emotional attachment what-so-ever when driving through. Went to town and stopped at Costco and there's some 6'5" dude checking out my groceries dressed as a woman. Palestine supporters on the street corners. More mentally ill trannies downtown.
Minneapolis West.
It's going to be the downfall of the state in the next decade, that one stupid ass city is going to end up turning the state blue. LSS is doing their best to import people to make that happen.
Link Posted: Today 12:41:47 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Dissident:
View Quote

SF has turned into an almost as dirty, smelly leftist city as Fargo!
Link Posted: Today 9:47:55 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By EastRiverSD:

I grew up there and I can't stand going there anymore. Don't recognize it, and feel no emotional attachment what-so-ever when driving through. Went to town and stopped at Costco and there's some 6'5" dude checking out my groceries dressed as a woman. Palestine supporters on the street corners. More mentally ill trannies downtown.
Minneapolis West.
It's going to be the downfall of the state in the next decade, that one stupid ass city is going to end up turning the state blue. LSS is doing their best to import people to make that happen.
View Quote

I live in the DFW messtroplex.  What you're seeing is but a drop on the bucket to us.  It helps that most of my family lives south of 229.  But 41st has definitely changed.

We'll be up in SF for my nephew's wedding in a few days.   We leave for Custer on Monday.  The rest of the family is heading to Spearfish.  We'll spend about 10 days there at the cabin.  I'm looking forward to some Black Hills time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top