Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/21/2024 10:16:18 AM EDT
So long story short my dad and two of his brothers inherited land in Marquette county when their dad died in the late 80's.  Now they are wanting to sell and my dad doesn't so they are threatening to take him to court to force the sale.

We live in Jefferson county so if anyone has any experiences in this or lawyer recommendations any advice would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 2:53:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rfb45colt] [#1]
Good luck.

I'm no lawyer, but I've seen this exact situation unfold before. Multiple siblings inherit real estate, one wants to keep it, the others want to cash out. My Mom was a real estate broker for decades, and I've encountered it too in my locksmith business, when I'm called out to rekey a home that was involved in an inherited property dispute between siblings, that was finally settled.  Leads to bad blood, family disputes, and hard feelings too often.

EVERY time, one of 3 things happened. The one who wants to keep it buys out the others (most common), or they sell it and split the proceeds, or they split the land into *equal value parcels and each owner moves on with their respective plans.

Most common was a certified appraisal to set the value, the one who stays pays the others their share of appraised value. With three owners, the keeper would pay the other two 1/3 ea of appraised value etc. ETA... In this situation, because those who want out are the parties initiating things, usually... they take on the burden of all expenses. They pay for the appraisal, they pay all title fees, they pay any/all legal fees.  

* Parts of it may be more valuble than others. For example, high ground is worth more than low, water frontage is more valuable, and then there's value considerations for any timber or other crops, and access / easements etc. So it's much more complicated when you start trying to seperate it equally.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 1:13:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Sent you a PM.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:52:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: prebans] [#3]
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 4:50:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: variable] [#4]
RFB has it 100% correct.

Being in situations whereas I had to "KEEP THE PEACE" with multiple civil landowner issues.

Having a lawyer involved complicated every situation because he or she had to be contacted, and made decisions on the client's behalf. This was even if only ONE of the parties involved had a lawyer.

It would be much better for them to all be in agreeance amongst themselves and have a "legal contract" drawn up with all involved. Multiple lawyers will lengthen the situation and cost...well...

On a personal note; my ex-wife still does not talk with family members because a similar situation occurred with her Mom's death.

Just my $.02...

V
OUT
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top