Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/1/2024 10:35:28 PM EDT

Looking for any leads or thoughts on employment opportunities for my 30 YO daughter in the Bay City area.

She has several years of mechanical and architectural design work experience along with a two year degree in mechanical design from Delta College.  She has skills in Solid Works, 2D/3D AutoCAD, Revit and other design software as well as some CNC programming experience. Her real knack is picking up new software skills.  

Currently lives in Bay City, owns a home and has two young children so she's not in a good position to move.

Earlier in January she was layed off from a firm that has an EV focus. She has been using Indeed and Monster as part of her job search and hasn't tried any direct contacts with employers who are not currently advertising for staff.

Thanks for any input.

Link Posted: 2/3/2024 11:29:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Can’t help in Bay City area, but if willing to look at metro Detroit area, pm me. Can’t promise anything but at least a lead.
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 9:33:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks 'Buddy' but she is kind of tied to the Bay City/Saginaw/Thumb area.

I'm a little worried with the shine coming off of the EV market and what that could turn into with regards to parts suppliers that have invested effort working with auto manufacturers that were plowing forward with EV's.  Guess we'll have to wait and see how it all shakes out.

Link Posted: 3/6/2024 10:15:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BreakRight:
Thanks 'Buddy' but she is kind of tied to the Bay City/Saginaw/Thumb area.

I'm a little worried with the shine coming off of the EV market and what that could turn into with regards to parts suppliers that have invested effort working with auto manufacturers that were plowing forward with EV's.  Guess we'll have to wait and see how it all shakes out.

View Quote

She should definitely leave the economically depressed Bay City area. Having grown up in Midland that town has always been a dead end. If she plans on kids avoid Midland like the plague. "Societal malpractice" is the only way to describe how kids are treated.

In her line of work she may do better just planning on changing employers every so often and just getting used to moves around the country. I'm in Lansing now and she may find work with GM here.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 5:33:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Merrill tool and die got a lot of work in from what I heard, May be worth trying there. My ex worked there in Saginaw and liked it.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 3:35:47 PM EDT
[#5]
In Bay City, RWC.
Dow, DuPont, Corning, and others in Midland.
Hemlock Semiconductor.
Former Mistequay Aerospace, now owned by Textron, 3 different locations in the nearby area.

Several others, hope she lands something.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 4:21:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the input guys. I haven't checked this thread in a while.

She ended up at a parts supplier in the Flint area and just started this week.

I'm hoping for the best.

Link Posted: 3/22/2024 4:24:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JellyBelly:

She should definitely leave the economically depressed Bay City area. Having grown up in Midland that town has always been a dead end. If she plans on kids avoid Midland like the plague. "Societal malpractice" is the only way to describe how kids are treated.

In her line of work she may do better just planning on changing employers every so often and just getting used to moves around the country. I'm in Lansing now and she may find work with GM here.
View Quote
Thanks Jelly Belly.

I have some ties to the Midland area so periodically check out the local paper ( ourmidland.com ).  Seems like the town has gone all in on wokeness.  Glad I have no reasons to go there anymore.  Even going east of the Mississippi River is difficult to do.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top