Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/30/2023 12:32:39 PM EDT
My son has been accepted to LSU but is concerned with the cost. He spoke with a recruiter when he visited the campus and is now considering joining the Guard to offset the cost. He will be an engineering major.

My wife and I have a ton of questions and no one to ask other than a recruiter.

How much will the guard actually cover of his schooling? What is the real time commitment to the guard? Is it one weekend a month and two weeks a year? How many years after college would he commit to? What type of deployments will he be looking at? I’d assume he’d be sent to areas hit by hurricanes but what about actual combat?

Can anyone provide any information? As much as you could provide would be awesome. Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 3:29:51 PM EDT
[#1]
1st  Congratulations on your son getting into LSU

This HTF does not get a lot of activity. Yours is the first post here in a week.
We do not get a lot of active around here.
I was not in the military.

I say all that to, say I would cross post this some where else.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Deployed-/132/
Maybe here to avoid all the GD shcenagens.  ( but there might be a better one )

In my uneducated self.  I would think any recruiter would be ablet to answer your questions regardless of which state or school.

Link Posted: 3/30/2023 9:49:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you and cross posted.
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 9:26:39 AM EDT
[#3]
I will say that I know and work with a fair number of National Guard folks here in LA, and yes, they do the typical weekend a month, 2 weeks a year, but also get called up for disasters and the like.  A bunch spent a while in D.C. after January 6th, and all have had deployments to Iraq and/or Afghanistan in the past.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 8:38:36 PM EDT
[#4]
I’ve got a buddy in the guard, or at least he was. He hasn’t mentioned it in a while. They deployed to Syria a few years ago. Not sure if he ever saw any actual combat, but he packed a rifle in a foreign country. Something to think about.

Wish I had more info for you.
Link Posted: 8/7/2023 6:44:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Tell him to look into the Air Force reserve or the navy reserve. I spent 14 years in the army national guard and I think that the Air Force or Navy reserve would be a better option with opportunities to travel for training.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top