Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/19/2023 3:48:01 PM EDT
Who drew what?

I drew Mule deer area 16 any legal weapon.  Grandson drew nothing.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 4:16:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cazador223] [#1]
I drew Unit 91 Cow Elk rifle tag, other than that, I don't personally know anyone
that drew a tag this year.
Tom
Edited to add: Congratulations on your tag.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 5:15:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Nothing again.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 6:27:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: crapshoot] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Cazador223:
I drew Unit 91 Cow Elk rifle tag, other than that, I don't personally know anyone
that drew a tag this year.
Tom
Edited to add: Congratulations on your tag.
View Quote

My grandson and i had late season cow tags last year. We got snowed out.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 7:12:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I struck out.  My wife got late cow, dad got a muley buck and longer than pronghorn, brother in law got muley buck and late cow, niece got a junior buck tag.  So, its probably a good thing I didn't draw anything, we'll be busy.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 11:17:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Cazador223] [#5]
doubletap
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 11:22:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Cazador223] [#6]
Originally posted by Crapshoot:
My grandson and I had late season cow tags last year. We got snowed out.
View Quote

Been there, done that. That's why I chose Unit 91, the late season is the whole month of October.
I have never hunted 91 or even been to that part of the state, so I would like to hear about any
experiences or info if anyone has any to share.
Tom
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 11:04:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Speed goat. Never pulled one. I own nothing but a rifle.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 9:33:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By durtychemist:
Speed goat. Never pulled one. I own nothing but a rifle.
View Quote

One of my favorite hunts.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 9:51:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By crapshoot:

One of my favorite hunts.  Good luck.
View Quote

Advice? Suggestions? It’s up near Gerlach and I think BM overlaps the season so traffic might suck.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 12:43:22 PM EDT
[#10]
I've had a speed goat hunt that overlapped BM. Yes, traffic sucks. There are a lot of dirt routes that will get you there, scout and plan accordingly.

Attachment Attached File

Here's my friend Jon with one he got in 2017 out towards McDermitt.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 1:07:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: crapshoot] [#11]
NVG pretty much nailed it. I haven't hunted that area but goat hunting is pretty much a drive and glass  till you see one you like then plan a stock accordingly. Knowing water sources in the area wouldn't hurt.  That includes ranches and stock tanks too.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 3:44:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally posted by durtychemist:
Advice? Suggestions? It’s up near Gerlach and I think BM overlaps the season so traffic might suck.
View Quote

You didn't mention the unit, but if it's one of the 01 or 03 units, they are supposed to be the best in the state for antelope. I agree with NVG and
Crapshoot, find the water, drive and glass, then drive and glass some more.
Tom
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 1:07:57 AM EDT
[#13]

You didn't mention the unit, but if it's one of the 01 or 03 units, they are supposed to be the best in the state for antelope. I agree with NVG and
Crapshoot, find the water, drive and glass, then drive and glass some more.
Tom
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/24/2023 4:03:56 PM EDT
[#14]
0 for 5.

And NDOW is nice enough to repeatedly send the same email saying "You suck. You get nothing".
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 12:11:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By UV18:
0 for 5.

And NDOW is nice enough to repeatedly send the same email saying "You suck. You get nothing".
View Quote
They triple tapped me on that too.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 8:44:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 7:00:11 PM EDT
[#17]
@durtychemist,
NDOW hunter information sheet
Tom
View Quote

Saw this.  Marked it on the map. I assume the other 54 people with tags here did it as well. Making up a plan to get lucky.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 8:43:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: crapshoot] [#18]
Antelope tags are pretty easy to fill depending on how picky you are. The 3 tags I've had and the one my dad had were all filled opening morning before noon. All were average bucks measuring around  13" in length.
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 1:36:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Antelope tags are pretty easy to fill depending on how picky you are. The 3 tags I've had and the one my dad had were all filled opening morning before noon. All were average bucks measuring around  13" in length.
View Quote

What is considered an awesome Buck, and how would I know from afar?
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 11:21:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: crapshoot] [#20]
Length and mass. Large cutters above the top of the ears with length and mass carrying on above the cutter. This is just an image I grabbed off the net of a really nice buck.  I've never been a numbers guy so not sure what it scored or where it would place in B&C. 8th photo down with just a head and cape.
https://www.nvoutfitters.com/photos/category/antelope/2/
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 10:24:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Gotcha.  Definitely not what I’m expecting to see out there. I was actually just researching how to cape it for a full shoulder mount and THAT seemed like getting too far ahead of myself.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 4:34:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Cut around the mid section of the animal and split it down the middle of the back. Cut the head off at the base of the skull and let the taxidermist deal with that part of it. Tube out the front legs to the knee joint. Always cut the hide from the inside to preserve the hair at the slice.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 6:22:30 PM EDT
[#23]
What do folks here recommend for game bags? Assuming I have to carry it to the truck and can’t just drive up are there any that don’t let a bunch of blood out?
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 8:03:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: crapshoot] [#24]
You want breathable bags. I use alaskan. Alaska MEC460 Rolled Quarter Game https://a.co/d/6E7Ikw6

I also have some reusable black ovis bags but haven't used them yet.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 10:27:56 PM EDT
[#25]
I drew Wooly Rhinoceros again.
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 2:08:06 AM EDT
[#26]
@durtychemist
Good luck on your hunt. Also, +1 on the Black Ovis reusable bags. I have been using them for several years,
all 5 bags (4 quarter and 1 smaller Backstrap/tenderloin bag) fit perfectly into my 'Kill Kit" as well as makes
a great rear squeeze bag.

Tom
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 1:46:21 AM EDT
[#27]
@durtychemist
Good luck on your hunt. Also, +1 on the Black Ovis reusable bags. I have been using them for several years,
all 5 bags (4 quarter and 1 smaller Backstrap/tenderloin bag) fit perfectly into my 'Kill Kit" as well as makes
a great rear squeeze bag.

Tom
View Quote

Hunt was successful. I might have been the only one last weekend who WAS successful.
Trash bags, friends, and maybe one $3 cheesecloth ‘game bag.’ If I’m going to ever go hunting again (this was my first Eve) I’ll new to invest in optics, a backpack, a better knife and some boots before bags become a concern. Also get my off road vehicle more capable.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 10:07:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Cazador223] [#28]
Originally posted by durtychemist:
Hunt was successful. I might have been the only one last weekend who WAS successful.
View Quote

Congratulations!! Pics? In my opinion antelope is the second best tasting of the big game meat that I have eaten, with elk being the best.

Trash bags, friends, and maybe one $3 cheesecloth ‘game bag.’ If I’m going to ever go hunting again (this was my first Eve) I’ll new to invest in optics, a backpack, a better knife and some boots before bags become a concern. Also get my off road vehicle more capable.
View Quote

I always tell new hunters to invest in the "3 B's''. Boots, binos, backpack. These you will use on every hunt, Everything else is secondary.

Tom

Link Posted: 9/5/2023 9:21:53 PM EDT
[#29]
I don’t think I can post pictures here.  It was a ‘barely legal’ with the horns slightl above the ears.  I can only imagine the bigger bucks were far there inland where I WANTED to go but didn’t really have a great way to do it. I wasn’t going to drive my truck that far over the ‘roads’ I was on.  Too much potential for a worse situation than I needed.
Link Posted: 9/12/2023 7:47:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Mailed my tag back to Reno today. Grandson couldn't  go and I had no one else available  to go with. To remote for me to want to go solo.
Link Posted: 9/13/2023 5:40:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Mailed my tag back to Reno today. Grandson couldn't  go and I had no one else available  to go with. To remote for me to want to go solo.
View Quote

Bummer.  After experiencing hunting in a group, and knowing how much I know about being alone in the woods/hills I totally understand not wanting to be alone.  Even if it is really nice to be out there, and how much it allows you to go farther and explore without worrying about people needing to keep up.

Looking at a map I would have done something dumb like go to House Canyon, setup camp, and start hiking around.
Link Posted: 10/16/2023 9:56:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Cazador223] [#32]
My 2023 cow elk hunt is now in the books. The weather was nice, although a little warm for elk hunting, but I managed to fill my tag on day four after missing a 530-yard shot on day one. The packout was just under a mile and a half, and I managed to do it in two trips and with the help of another hunter, who stuck around a couple of days to help me after I helped him pack his out earlier in the week.
As a side note, no more 6.5 calibers on elk for me. I built a 6.5 SAUM last year and figured it would be enough gun with the 143 ELD-X, but I ended up having to put 4 rounds into her, all being good shots.
Tom
Link Posted: 10/16/2023 1:20:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Now that's a sight to behold.  Congratulations!
Link Posted: 10/28/2023 4:40:36 PM EDT
[#34]
My 2023 cow elk hunt is now in the books. The weather was nice, although a little warm for elk hunting, but I managed to fill my tag on day four after missing a 530-yard shot on day one. The packout was just under a mile and a half, and I managed to do it in two trips and with the help of another hunter, who stuck around a couple of days to help me after I helped him pack his out earlier in the week.
As a side note, no more 6.5 calibers on elk for me. I built a 6.5 SAUM last year and figured it would be enough gun with the 143 ELD-X, but I ended up having to put 4 rounds into her, all being good shots.
Tom
https://i.imgur.com/IKTcsxg.jpg
View Quote
Congratulations on the harvest.  Glad you got her down, can't say I totally disagree about the 6.5.  I had a great ultralight 260rem, and after using it kill a couple pronghorn and muleys I went back to a 30cal, but in a magnum this time.  I just like the little extra headroom my 300wsm provides.  On my spike last year, my shot was just a tick low, but the 162 Absolute Hammer still did the job.

Just got back from my brother in law's muley hunt out in central Nevada.  We saw a few deer, not all that many, and he dumped a small forky since it had been a long time since he's harvested anything.  It was a great, fun hunt, we worked our asses off at high altitude for it too.  Man do I love how suppressed 300wm sounds, nothing finer.
Link Posted: 10/28/2023 5:38:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By turbobrick:
Man do I love how suppressed 300wm sounds, nothing finer.
View Quote

I have a 300wm 18" barrel running a 338 SAS can but have yet to kill anything with it yet.
Link Posted: 10/28/2023 8:48:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 10/28/2023 9:50:14 PM EDT
[#37]

I have a 300wm 18" barrel running a 338 SAS can but have yet to kill anything with it yet.
View Quote
I've shot one muley and a cow elk with suppressed 300wm (plus 4 coyotes), and now my BIL shot his muley with a Tikka in 300wm that I put together.  I shot my spike last year and my buck pronghorn, plus my wife shot her shorter than doe with suppressed 300wsm.  The other three shorter than and one muley were with suppressed 260rem.  They all sound great, there is just something about the magnums with a good can, and I guess the satisfaction of your handloads doing their work that sounds so good.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 6:39:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Tom
https://i.imgur.com/IKTcsxg.jpg
View Quote

Why did you need four rounds? 6.5 not enough for elk?
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 7:35:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Not caz but it is on the lighter side in my opinion.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 8:57:08 PM EDT
[#40]

View Quote
Elk are tough, if they're still standing you should keep hitting them.  With any animal that big you need to hit them hard in the vitals, I prefer a little bigger cartridge for that.  6.5SAUM is a great one though, maybe the only negative is a projectile on the light side, its no doubt going fast enough.
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 10:57:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cazador223] [#41]

View Quote

I think it was more the bullet than the caliber. The one 143gr. ELD-X that I recovered weighed
46.8 gr.. A 127gr LRX might have been a different story.
Tom

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top