Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2024 1:40:16 PM EDT
Hey gang!  My son is adding Moody AFB to his dream sheet.  How is the area around the AFB?  He likes to hunt and fish, how is that around the area?  Cost of living?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 11:19:09 AM EDT
[#1]
@JLW should be able to add some info.

My “Valdirty” info is OLD.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 5:38:58 PM EDT
[#2]
My son has been at Moody for almost two years. He likes it a lot base and work wise compared to where he transferred from which was F.E. Warren in Cheyenne. He liked WY just the politics of the job at Warren wasn't the best, Moody he says is much different and better.

It's a really small base as well.

Southern GA's cost of living isn't bad, he and his wife have bought a house and live NE of Moody if I recall correctly. Probably lots of hunting opportunities in southern GA and N FL but a club is most likely necessary if he wants quality deer hunting.

The climate is the same as N FL with summers being hot/humid but nicer cooler weather in the Fall/Winter as compared to here in central FL.

Link Posted: 4/23/2024 6:46:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Valdosta has two seasons: summer, and summer-but-not-as-much.

Moody itself is north of Valdosta.  One could easily go into the counties to the immediate north and get cheaper housing options, but I can't speak to current availability.  Valdosta itself isn't going to be too bad unless you are trying to buy into a new, trendy subdivision.

Its proximity brings a lot of tourist travel via I-75 and supports a service industry far beyond what the local population could support on its own.

I very much enjoyed my time there, but family considerations just won't allow me to go back.  I visit as often as I can and still have cousins down there.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:01:29 PM EDT
[#4]
There's some excellent fishing nearby, you need to go a little further north for hunting. There's way worse places to live for sure. I'd rather live in that area than be at robins.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top