Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/6/2023 12:42:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MikeDeltaFoxtrot]
I have a small hunting camp in Pendleton County.  I have taken a couple of deer off of the place the last couple of years.  I am thinking of trying to hunt the January 12-14 Mountaineer Heritage Season this year.  I do not presently own a traditional muzzle loader, but I am up for buying one.  I have killed many deer with an in-line.

What is the preferred equipment for hunting the heritage season?  Some kind of Hawken clone?  Kentucky rifle?  Do you used pathed round ball?  Some kind of mini ball?  What kind of powder?  Should I just stick with pyrodex?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 11/24/2023 10:21:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I think the type of rifle is mostly personal preference.  As far as patched ball vs minie, the twist of your rifling will dictate which works best.  If in doubt which to use, I'd try both and see which gives you the best accuracy.
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 3:37:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By jtb1967:
I think the type of rifle is mostly personal preference.  As far as patched ball vs minie, the twist of your rifling will dictate which works best.  If in doubt which to use, I'd try both and see which gives you the best accuracy.
View Quote

Thanks for responding.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top