Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Posted: 2/29/2024 8:56:20 AM EDT
Greetings, I currently live in the Rochester, MN area and work at Mayo.  MN has had some terrible legislation recently proposed and/OR passed.  We are looking to move across the border.  We homestead.  Have a dairy cow, raise sheep, chickens, and ducks.  Any thoughts or advice?
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 9:00:47 AM EDT
[#1]
No advice, but welcome.

I moved here to escape Illinois and don't have any regrets.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 9:09:11 AM EDT
[#2]
What specific questions do you have?
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 9:32:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Mindfull:
What specific questions do you have?
View Quote

Thank you!  I suppose there is an element of "you don't know what you don't know.". So I may not be yet equipped to ask the right questions. We are going to look at a couple of properties on Monday.  For now, I would try to keep my job at Mayo so close to the MN border would be ideal, possibly Osage or nearby.  Any cautions about that area?
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 7:32:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mikekay] [#4]
Look up the demographics for Osage/ Mitchell county. It's pretty safe, as is the rest of the top two counties across the state line is mostly Amish.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 10:15:26 PM EDT
[#5]
You'd be welcome in Chickasaw or Howard county.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 8:57:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Mikekay:
Look up the demographics for Osage/ Mitchell county. It's pretty safe, as is the rest of the top two counties across the state line is mostly Amish.
View Quote

Thank you, we actually looked at a property in Osage this weekend but unfortunately it is now under contract.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 9:36:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 9:47:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: vingrjoe] [#8]
Is Osage the town with the stuffed Albino deer on display ?

I really like alot of the small Iowa towns.

My wife and I have been discussing moving to Iowa, Missouri or South Dakota in light of the Commie Train losing its brakes in MN. However, she has a good gig at Mayo as well and I work for a decent Auto Repair Shop, which makes it tough to leave.

EDIT: Actually I think it is St Ansgar with the stuffed Albino deer.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 11:59:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By vingrjoe:
Is Osage the town with the stuffed Albino deer on display ?

I really like alot of the small Iowa towns.

My wife and I have been discussing moving to Iowa, Missouri or South Dakota in light of the Commie Train losing its brakes in MN. However, she has a good gig at Mayo as well and I work for a decent Auto Repair Shop, which makes it tough to leave.

EDIT: Actually I think it is St Ansgar with the stuffed Albino deer.
View Quote

Yeah that's St. Ansgar. I was in junior high at the time, the town was selling T shirts to help pay for the taxidermy bill.

She's still on display in the middle of town.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top