Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/13/2023 3:18:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: xxTAPxx]
I'm about to be a former middle TN'r, relocating to the Bentonville area.

Any recommendations or points of interest that should be considered?

I very much appreciate any insight into this relocation.

I should add, I'm 50, divorced and kids are in college, so it's just me.

Having an active social life and stuff to do, like Meetup groups, is a bonus.
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 4:09:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Welcome to NW Arkansas.  WalMart?  Or a vendor?

I am a few miles south of Bentonville, and 20 years older than you, so my social life is reading Arfcom.

Crystal Bridges is a museum in Bville, AMP is a music venue that has different entertainers regularly.

You will be better off talking to coworkers to learn about social opportunities.  Maybe others here will be along shortly
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 4:54:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Welcome to the area! I'm in Centerton (touches B'ville to the west).

What time of year will you bet getting here? That will make a huge difference on what there is to do.
NWA has all kinds of activities, you may just have to drive a bit across the area to do them.

What are some of your hobbies or things you want to try out? Knowing that will greatly guide us in assisting you.
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 10:22:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By stevec223:
Welcome to NW Arkansas.  WalMart?  Or a vendor?

I am a few miles south of Bentonville, and 20 years older than you, so my social life is reading Arfcom.

Crystal Bridges is a museum in Bville, AMP is a music venue that has different entertainers regularly.

You will be better off talking to coworkers to learn about social opportunities.  Maybe others here will be along shortly
View Quote

Thank you!  I'm starting with WalMart.

Coworkers are a great start, I'll be meeting them eventually.
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 10:26:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Killface:
Welcome to the area! I'm in Centerton (touches B'ville to the west).

What time of year will you bet getting here? That will make a huge difference on what there is to do.
NWA has all kinds of activities, you may just have to drive a bit across the area to do them.

What are some of your hobbies or things you want to try out? Knowing that will greatly guide us in assisting you.
View Quote

Cool.  Centerton looks nice.

Lots of properties all around B'ville.

I'm considering renting an apt for a year to better understand the area before I buy a house.

Hobbies - shooting sports, CrossFit, hiking, anything on the water, fishing, mainly outdoor stuff.

I understand that B'ville has many mountain biking trails.  I rode BMX in my youth, but MB'ing looks like that's at another level, lol.

My concern is that if I buy a house, I'll pick a "bad" or less desirable area.

I appreciate any and all insight!
Thank you!
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 11:02:25 PM EDT
[#5]
It is smart to hold off for a year.  Who knows, the job may suck or not be what you were promised

Check out Beaver Lake.  CoE built and the water supply for the area.  Supposed to be decent fishing, it is good boating and camping.

There are a few semi rural areas and small towns around Bville, depending on what you are looking for.

Also there have been multiple treads on the area recently
Link Posted: 7/14/2023 7:04:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Not sure there's really a bad area locally.  Taking a bit of time to acclimate and find some land is a good idea though.

Lots of outdoor sports locally.  Bike paths, hiking trails, etc.

Area is still growing, so always something new.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 4:58:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By xxTAPxx:

Thank you!  I'm starting with WalMart.

Coworkers are a great start, I'll be meeting them eventually.
View Quote

@xxTAPxx we're in the same boat, leaving Austin, TX in a about a month for Bentonville.
Link Posted: 9/11/2023 8:54:02 AM EDT
[#8]
I moved here from AZ about 3ys ago and being a red state, was hoping to find a lot of shooting activities, but not that much in NWA has presented itself. Seems like you have to travel 100 miles to Ft.Smith or Harrison.  Lots of river/lake fishing around here as well as bike/hike trails.

The area is pretty urban from Fayetteville all the way up to Bella Vista and the Mo line, then it turns rural. Just about anywhere East or West of the urban corridor is still fairly Rural, but because of all the new transplants from places with more $$$, land prices are quite high (3) 200k 1/4ac places next to my sold for 400+ in the last 2 yrs).  Check out the Pea Ridge or Tontitown to Siloam Springs areas but wherever you look be aware of tornado potential - I think the hilly areas may be less prone than the open rolling farmland...  Mo is pretty rural and much cheaper, but everything is a bit of a drive on narrow hilly roads to get to town, but your probably used to that - best opportunity to have your own private range.

There is a practical shooting group out on the west edge of Centerton at the Lonesome Oak facility (storage units w/private gun range out back)- they meet once a month.  No decent outdoor ranges (over 100yd) - A 100yd public range at Hobbs state park that I hear can be dangerous to frequent, a 400+/- range out in Berryville (pay by the hour), a 100yd private range for Bella Vista residents and a couple 25yd indoor facilities...

There are a few local gun shows, the one at the fair ground is about the best then the Springdale show or Washington County monthly show... but none are as good as the ones I went to in AZ - and those were not as good as the ones I went to in OH/KY(but that was a long time ago so maybe theyre all the same now).  NO outdoor public flea markets that I can find (indoor junk stores are called flea markets around here-WTF?).
I haven't been able to find any local or even on-line groups to meetup with like-minded people. It's hard to say if you will find that at work but I'm not in that crowd.

Link Posted: 9/12/2023 6:48:43 AM EDT
[#9]
The only real gun show to visit locally is coming up 11-12 Nov:  Wanenmacher show in Tulsa OK.  About 1.5 hours drive from us, but the biggest gunshow in the USA.  Well worth visiting that!
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 11:10:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Okay, tagging in here rather than starting my own. How big a cultural shift do I need to expect as I consider a move from SW Montana?  I'm a UT  grad, old enough to remember the SWC rivalry but is it really that bad?

Not a WM person or vendor, a finance person working for a group completely disinterested in WM. I am thinking the breaks from 7 months of winter will be nice.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 11:53:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Not sure what your mean cultural shift

Is Sw Montana cowboy country?  Lots of small 40 to 160 acre tracts that raise cattle, but not 1000 acre tracts.

Regarding people, I’ve found them mostly the same everywhere.

Liberal vs conservative.  Walmart culture will be more liberal.  Native Arkansans, it will be no problem.  Mostly conservative.

The Hispanic population is higher now than 20 years ago.  Centered mostly in Springdale.

Other questions?
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 6:53:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By stevec223:
Not sure what your mean cultural shift

Is Sw Montana cowboy country?  Lots of small 40 to 160 acre tracts that raise cattle, but not 1000 acre tracts.

Regarding people, I’ve found them mostly the same everywhere.

Liberal vs conservative.  Walmart culture will be more liberal.  Native Arkansans, it will be no problem.  Mostly conservative.

The Hispanic population is higher now than 20 years ago.  Centered mostly in Springdale.

Other questions?
View Quote

Yes Cowboy culture thats being pushed out my people that watched Yellowstone on TV and thought Montana would be fun. I'm currently surrounded by about 500k acres of public land, an hour from Yellowstone Park and 3.5 from Glacier.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 9:20:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By gsc0527:

Yes Cowboy culture thats being pushed out my people that watched Yellowstone on TV and thought Montana would be fun. I'm currently surrounded by about 500k acres of public land, an hour from Yellowstone Park and 3.5 from Glacier.
View Quote

There will be horse people and rodeo people in the area.  No really big cattle ranches

Springdale has a rodeo, used to be July 4, but that date conflicted with other big one.  It was moved to late June.  Supposed to be a good rodeo, but I don’t know much more than that.  I’ve been a few times.

Link Posted: 11/13/2023 9:24:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Well, the main thing is that you won't be able to see 25 miles ahead and traffic will be terrible - no one knows they have blinkers and think the speed limit is +10... otherwise this is one of the best places I've ever lived... and I've been all over...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top