Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2023 5:13:54 PM EDT
Lived in Ohio my whole life. I have been communicating  to Central PA every 3-4 weeks for the past 2 years and decided in a year we will sell the place here and move.

We will downsize from our 15 acres to 2 or 3.

I know taxes suck, so do the politics but I'll be rural and out of the bad areas. Ohio politics are going to suck just as much in about 5 years anyway.

What is different about  living there than Ohio?

I'm looking at the Newville  area. Rural with a lot of Amish.

Link Posted: 9/3/2023 1:39:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Newville is rural but Cumberland County is the fastest growing county in PA.  No danger of the Newville area getting crowded anytime soon though.

Are you concerned about the school district?
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 8:40:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Schools aren't  a concern.
We are staying in Ohio one more year to get the last kid out of school and to get our place here ready to sell.

I hate leaving here as we are very rural  and 20 minutes from the closest town of 1,600.

That being said, in 2 years there is a Google, Intel, FaceBook, Amazon super complex going in 12 miles from here that they plan to make the "Silicon Valley of the Mid-West".

We will soon be a suburb of Columbus even though we are 45 miles away.

Yep, not staying here.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 8:00:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 4:35:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Ridgeline:
Lived in Ohio my whole life. I have been communicating  to Central PA every 3-4 weeks for the past 2 years and decided in a year we will sell the place here and move.

We will downsize from our 15 acres to 2 or 3.

I know taxes suck, so do the politics but I'll be rural and out of the bad areas. Ohio politics are going to suck just as much in about 5 years anyway.

What is different about  living there than Ohio?

I'm looking at the Newville  area. Rural with a lot of Amish.

View Quote

Moved from Ohio to PA.  Lives in Mt Lebanon for nine years.  Could wait to move back.

Rules for PA
#1 If it moves, they tax it.
#2 If it doesn’t move, they tax it.
#3 see 1 and 2

Link Posted: 9/9/2023 7:25:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Taxes do suck ass here. And I don't know anything about Ohio so here goes

Newville is a nice area. If you are into cars, you have the Carlisle fairgrounds not far away for several large shows a year. If you ride quads or SxS, you have Michaux State Forest not far away that you can ride in. Lake Raystown is around 90 minutes away if you like that kinda stuff. Hershey Park isn't too far from Newville.

Vehicles get inspections every year. Some counties require emissions aswell as safety inspection. Registration for vehicles is outrageously overpriced.

Open carry is legal without a permit. Concealed carry requires a permit that means nothing in bordering states as far as I know.

Sorry I am not good at selling PA
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 9:12:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Newville is decent but growing fast. I guess that applies to the whole county from taking on Maryland refugees. Look north over the ridge into Perry county. The western side of Perry county is still rural and probably will be for longer than Newville.

Also, doubling gap and wagoners gap are fun to drive when the weather is perfect
Link Posted: 9/22/2023 9:55:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kalashnikov762] [#7]
Be afraid....very afraid.  State workers pension fund is missing $10,000,000,000.00 and counting.  You will be expected to keep it solvent so state workers can retire in luxury.  One of the reasons I left PA.

Make sure your are WAY out in the sticks or PA will force a sewer system on you and you will end up paying 1k a year just to flush your toilet.  Ask me how I know this?

Should I mention the horrible roads, high taxes and rotten weather? PA has great deer hunting but 2A is hanging by a thread and communists have corrupted the vote.  There is little left in PA that will not be ruined by Shapiro and his thugs.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 8:48:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the input.

Unfortunately  Ohio will be worse in 10 years or less so PA is the best option.

It probably  won't  be until spring  of 2025 until I move but definitely  starting  the process  now.

I k ow all about the taxes but ours doubled  last year and went up 51% this year on top of that. 200 -500% increase is expected  in this area in the next 6 years due to the Intel Project going in.

I'm  35 minutes  from the outskirts
of  Columbus but will be 10 minutes away in just a few years.

Ohio is lost. Thanks to our great Republican Party bringing in as many Indians and Chinese as they can we won't  ever need to worry about how bad the Republican Party is very much longer.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 9:35:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Word to wise look further south then  pa…

pa will be a complete lost cause like nys nj md are already give them 10 years and they will be no different.. look at larch being elected to the US senate, communist for gov and lt gov should tell you all you need to know ….

Link Posted: 11/24/2023 2:49:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By cancard:

Moved from Ohio to PA.  Lives in Mt Lebanon for nine years.  Could wait to move back.

Rules for PA
#1 If it moves, they tax it.
#2 If it doesn’t move, they tax it.
#3 see 1 and 2

View Quote
Grew up in Mt. Lebanon. Exactly right. I'll stay in Ohio.
Link Posted: 11/24/2023 6:56:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Yea, I know, taxes are rough but my property  taxes in Rural Ohio just went to $500  per month.  

It can't  be worse.
Link Posted: 11/24/2023 9:50:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PA452] [#12]
Yea, I know, taxes are rough but my property  taxes in Rural Ohio just went to $500  per month.  

It can't  be worse.
View Quote

For how much land and a house of what size?

That sounds downright palatable compared to what I'm paying right now. But it really can vary a lot depending on your county, municipality, and school district.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 7:57:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By PA452:

For how much land and a house of what size?

That sounds downright palatable compared to what I'm paying right now. But it really can vary a lot depending on your county, municipality, and school district.
View Quote

13 acres.

6,200 sf house. (1904 farm house expanded on in the  1990s by the Amish.  1,200 sf kitchen/dining room for example.)

Several barns and out buildings.

We plan to downsize  to about 2-3  acres max.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 5:00:25 PM EDT
[#14]
My son is trying to move to PA.  He has land and wants to build.  I'm trying to talk him out of it but he won't listen.  I hate to see him learn the hard way.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 6:44:40 PM EDT
[#15]

It can't  be worse.
View Quote

I used to live on Long Island, NY
I can be LOTS worse
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 7:16:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Ok, yes IT can be worse..... I meant that PA can't be worse....but I get ya!  
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 9:31:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PA452] [#17]
Ok, yes IT can be worse..... I meant that PA can't be worse....but I get ya!  
View Quote

Yeah, it really depends on where you are in PA. Where I'm at, you'd easily probably be paying 10x what you are now, likely a lot more. If it was newer construction, 20x that wouldn't surprise me at all.

But the school district I live in is out of control and the people here don't seem to see it, or at least not enough of them. The people just outside our municipality here who are in another school district pay almost half as much.
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 4:21:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Nate19] [#18]
Born and raised in Pennsylvania but moved to Ohio 10+ years ago. Even with some of the nonsense going on in Ohio right now, and with concern for the future, Pennsylvania is in a far worse situation.

If you are sick of the commute and doing it purely for convenience, I get it and no one will fault you that. But don’t kid yourself that giving up double digit acreage and a sizable house that is still 45 minutes away from the closest city will be the same as living on a few acres in central Pennsylvania.

ETA: Your taxes on ~13 acres and a house that size are ~$6,000 and you think that’s bad? Buckle up.
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 11:01:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Nate19:
Born and raised in Pennsylvania but moved to Ohio 10+ years ago. Even with some of the nonsense going on in Ohio right now, and with concern for the future, Pennsylvania is in a far worse situation.

If you are sick of the commute and doing it purely for convenience, I get it and no one will fault you that. But don’t kid yourself that giving up double digit acreage and a sizable house that is still 45 minutes away from the closest city will be the same as living on a few acres in central Pennsylvania.

ETA: Your taxes on ~13 acres and a house that size are ~$6,000 and you think that’s bad? Buckle up.
View Quote

Was thinking the same thing. Dude doesnt realize how good he has it.

Moved from PA to OH last year. NO REGERTS
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 4:25:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BSOG1] [#20]
its sad its turned like this to be honest. and many people now in PA are just down right rotten.
and the miserable NRA old cruds running gun clubs is off the hook.

Originally Posted By Kalashnikov762:
My son is trying to move to PA.  He has land and wants to build.  I'm trying to talk him out of it but he won't listen.  I hate to see him learn the hard way.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/6/2024 9:26:25 PM EDT
[#21]
I am here in PA for 21 years now. Moved from NY. I would tell anyone who loves freedom not to come here. It has been getting more and more like NY every year. I told my wife our days are numbered here. I live in the suburbs of Philly. The Karen’s and kens are little commies. I had two issues on my block with them. They sought me out to start their crap. Gun control is just a matter of time. I will probably go to SC or FL. I just hope I am not forced out before I choose to go. I got 7-9 years. I will be 65 or 67 at that point. It really sucks because it’s a nice place. Liberals destroy everything they touch.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 6:05:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Be afraid....very afraid.  State workers pension fund is missing $10,000,000,000.00 and counting.  You will be expected to keep it solvent so state workers can retire in luxury.  One of the reasons I left PA.

Make sure your are WAY out in the sticks or PA will force a sewer system on you and you will end up paying 1k a year just to flush your toilet.  Ask me how I know this?

Should I mention the horrible roads, high taxes and rotten weather? PA has great deer hunting but 2A is hanging by a thread and communists have corrupted the vote.  There is little left in PA that will not be ruined by Shapiro and his thugs.
View Quote

This .         Every.            Word.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 9:31:12 PM EDT
[#23]

View Quote

THIS.      EVERY.     SINGLE.       WORD.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 9:05:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Reminded in this thread that we are all very different.  I've lived in a bunch of different states and was very happy to come back to PA.  Seasonal weather, relatively short/mild winters.  Here in the SE corner of the state, you can be at the beach, the mountains, or any number of metro areas in 2 hours.  PHL and BWI airport both about an hour away.  I've got 5 major gun clubs, 2 indoor ranges, hunting & fishing options all around me, shooting range in my backyard.  Wealthiest county in the state and property taxes are $6k for a couple acres and a relatively new and modern house.  Good school district and private school options.  Virtually zero crime.  Good mix of white collar and skilled blue collar.

I wake up every morning and thank God for what I have.  I worry about being a good husband, a good dad, and what to have for breakfast, not about Harrisburg or DC.

Link Posted: 3/6/2024 4:15:08 PM EDT
[#25]
hate to say it... SEPA is blue strong hold now.

Originally Posted By rgaper:
Reminded in this thread that we are all very different.  I've lived in a bunch of different states and was very happy to come back to PA.  Seasonal weather, relatively short/mild winters.  Here in the SE corner of the state, you can be at the beach, the mountains, or any number of metro areas in 2 hours.  PHL and BWI airport both about an hour away.  I've got 5 major gun clubs, 2 indoor ranges, hunting & fishing options all around me, shooting range in my backyard.  Wealthiest county in the state and property taxes are $6k for a couple acres and a relatively new and modern house.  Good school district and private school options.  Virtually zero crime.  Good mix of white collar and skilled blue collar.

I wake up every morning and thank God for what I have.  I worry about being a good husband, a good dad, and what to have for breakfast, not about Harrisburg or DC.

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/6/2024 8:01:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rgaper] [#26]
Originally Posted By BSOG1:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By rgaper:

Depends where you live.  My area went for Trump in both of the last 2 cycles.  The shift from dark red to dark blue from the 80s/90s to today in nearby areas is astonishing though.

Honestly, I don't care about politics.  They all suck and should be thrown out of helicopters.  
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 9:43:36 PM EDT
[#27]
i do, because the Blues hate you, your guns and want all your money. yes its more then astonishing.
give your neighbors a big atta boy for selling houses for tippy top dolla to all the new yorkers
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 7:57:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Just a friendly reminder that taxes suck. I’m sitting at just about $1000 increase for this year‘s taxes because the school board decided they wanted more money and the county decided they needed their fair share to.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 12:22:24 PM EDT
[#29]
i do, because the Blues hate you, your guns and want all your money. yes its more then astonishing.
give your neighbors a big atta boy for selling houses for tippy top dolla to all the new yorkers
View Quote

That's Bucks County, which is basically part of NY and NJ.  Here in Chester County we only get people done with Delco bullshit or trying to escape Cecil County Maryland so that their kids grow up normal.  🤣

Link Posted: 3/7/2024 9:10:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Bucks sucks. i truly hate it..
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 10:19:17 AM EDT
[#31]
lol fair share

Originally Posted By chrishag:
Just a friendly reminder that taxes suck. I’m sitting at just about $1000 increase for this year‘s taxes because the school board decided they wanted more money and the county decided they needed their fair share to.
View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top