Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 3/27/2024 5:53:28 PM EDT
88 5.0 LX convertible. Bought new in 88, sold it to FIL 30 years ago. Just bought it back from his estate. Only 27,000 miles and garaged all but first 3 years. No rust. Some minor body damage because my ex was lousy at parking. Looking to restore in phases.

Phase 1- get all options working properly ( rear quarter windows, cruise control, horn, instrument cluster lights, power locks). New stereo and alarm/security system.

Phase 2- full body restoration

Phase 3- performance upgrades

Looking for recommendations for shops with excellent quality work. I'm central Ohio (just a bit east of Columbus). Willing to go anywhere in the state though to get the best results.

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 6:33:41 PM EDT
[#1]
That's going to cost thousands of $$. I would just keep it as is, and get a much newer Mustang to drive. But that's just me.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:13:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I forget is 88 speed density or mass air?  Fox chasis cars were a lot of fun, I have not looked for a while but there used to be all kinds of parts available so should be an easy task, never cheap though.

Somewhere in my garage is an 85 T-top that I put a 289 and a top loader 4 speed in it, never completed, ran out of money.  Next to it is the 69 Fastback, er sportsroof...  Time or money... seem to run out of both
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:38:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By hkusp:
That's going to cost thousands of $$. I would just keep it as is, and get a much newer Mustang to drive. But that's just me.
View Quote
Sentimental (bought before kids while working Fire/Rescue in Miami) and intend to pass on to my kids. It will be my "just for fun" car so I don't mind spend a bit on it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:43:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SS65] [#4]
Originally Posted By cotter6015:
I forget is 88 speed density or mass air?  Fox chasis cars were a lot of fun, I have not looked for a while but there used to be all kinds of parts available so should be an easy task, never cheap though.

Somewhere in my garage is an 85 T-top that I put a 289 and a top loader 4 speed in it, never completed, ran out of money.  Next to it is the 69 Fastback, er sportsroof...  Time or money... seem to run out of both
View Quote
Mass air

32 years ago:Attachment Attached File

Now:

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:03:58 PM EDT
[#5]
These guys (and gals) are good people. I haven't had work done by them, but have had dealings with them.

https://hurricanehursongclassics.com/
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:26:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Hell yes. That's exactly the type of project I love. I've been bringing an 89 IROC back to life for the past 6 years. It's so much fun. Go for it, OP. Enjoy yourself.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:31:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Ender875:
These guys (and gals) are good people. I haven't had work done by them, but have had dealings with them.

https://hurricanehursongclassics.com/
View Quote
Interesting- the car actually spent the last 30 years not far from there- Peebles.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:12:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Don't forget the basics like fluids, tires, brakes, ignition system, and fuel.

Basically a good in depth tune up. If the tires are more than a few years old, replace them. Probably flat spotted and dry rotted. New filters and fluids. New coolant and hoses. Etc.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:21:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Jerret_S:
Don't forget the basics like fluids, tires, brakes, ignition system, and fuel.

Basically a good in depth tune up. If the tires are more than a few years old, replace them. Probably flat spotted and dry rotted. New filters and fluids. New coolant and hoses. Etc.
View Quote
Runs great but definitely going to check all that. FIL was maintenance chief for C5A Galaxy's  (B1B or Bird, One Big) so he knew a thing or two about maintaining mechanical systems.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:37:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CavVet] [#10]
I bought an 84 firebird in 87 that a rich kid thrashed. $400

This kid All but murdered that car. All that interior phase 1 electric check list I did myself. You could probably shorten that interior list and save some cash with a little time, a test light and YouTube. eBay source parts
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:50:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SS65] [#11]
Originally Posted By CavVet:
I bought an 84 firebird in 87 that a rich kid thrashed. $400

This kid All but murdered that car. All that interior phase 1 electric check list I did myself. You could probably shorten that interior list and save some cash with a little time, a test light and YouTube. eBay source parts
View Quote
Actually have seen YouTube videos for replacing instrument cluster lights with modern led bulbs, door locks and quarter windows. Not much experience at that. Most I've done is hardwire a front and rear dashcam but it looks like it could be something I might be able to handle. Would need to buy a few tools that I don't have though.

Several places online to buy darn near every part there is. Could almost order all the parts to build an entire car.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:58:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CavVet] [#12]
Originally Posted By SS65:
Would need to buy a few tools that I don't have though.
View Quote

I've never bought a tool that I regretted buying.

Every used car I've ever bought, the first thing I end up doing one at a time is stuff like that. Saves me piles of cash, I learn about that vehicle, and it's something to do.

I'll never forget going into Joanns and letting the gaggle of women in there pick the fabric to replace the headliner in an 84 s15 pickup. They guessed me to a felt like fabric. That headliner made me smile every time I looked up. I miss that truck.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:40:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Replacing incandescent bulbs with LEDs may require a driver or different turn signal activator, they don't draw enough to make the old style flasher work. But definitely make it your own, my 'plan' is to restify when the time comes. Dontbe afraid to ask here if you need some specialty tools.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 7:59:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SS65] [#14]
Originally Posted By cotter6015:
Replacing incandescent bulbs with LEDs may require a driver or different turn signal activator, they don't draw enough to make the old style flasher work. But definitely make it your own, my 'plan' is to restify when the time comes. Dontbe afraid to ask here if you need some specialty tools.
View Quote
Would prefer to keep it as stock as possible. If panel brightness can be solved without LED's then I'll go that way. Even hoping to get the cassette player working again. If not I might upgrade the stereo and speakers. Some neighbors that are into classic cars have highly recommended a local shop. Will run it by there if for no other reason than to get it up on a lift just to make sure there aren't any surprises.

Link Posted: 3/31/2024 9:44:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Should have looked under the hood. Four of the stock valve cover bolts (two each bank of cylinders) have been replaced with whatever this is and I can only guess why.

Stock:
Attachment Attached File

Non-stock:

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/2/2024 12:20:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By SS65:
Should have looked under the hood. Four of the stock valve cover bolts (two each bank of cylinders) have been replaced with whatever this is and I can only guess why.

Stock:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/111514/IMG_4085_jpeg-3175120.JPG

Non-stock:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/111514/IMG_4084_jpeg-3175123.JPG
View Quote

They're stock. There were wire loom clips for the plug wires that slid down onto those studs.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 7:36:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Thanks- not a mechanic (obviously). Was worried it was a sign of an underlying problem. Gasket much easier and cheaper to deal with.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 1:09:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 7:49:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks- that's only 20 minutes away. Will check it out.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 8:18:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SS65] [#20]
Originally Posted By KB7DX:
Check out House of Pearls in Utica. I have no connection to them but

I've seen what they have done for "The Old Man's Garage" on You Tube.

<-- Former central Ohio resident.
View Quote
Went by today. They don't do anything less than full disassembly including all glass, convertible top and mechanisms, everything including underbody.  Ballpark $20-$30 K. Booked out about 6 months. A little more than I had in mind. Would be nice though.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 4:14:46 PM EDT
[#21]
On the performance side, these guys may be able to help.  
The Snake Pit
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 6:57:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Deputyjason:
On the performance side, these guys may be able to help.  
The Snake Pit
View Quote
Plan to give it a little more "pep" but not planning to make it a street racer. Of course I imagine the suggested shop can accommodate various levels of builds. On a different note for others with older cars I've found a guy that will restore some older radios. Mine is an am/fm cassette player. This guy can clean and repair the cassette player and add Bluetooth. Neat-  an 88 factory radio with working tape player and Bluetooth!
Page Hometown » Ohio
Top Top