Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/3/2024 8:37:30 PM EDT
Learned I have the opportunity to hunt community property in my gated community. It's all co-owned by all the members jointly,  we share in taxes, insurance, road upkeep and similar.

Basically we fish without a licence and wildlife to my knowledge has never checked anyone. All the members are allowed to fish, only members that own a place and generally live here are allowed if they help keep the place up outside of normal workdays.

When I say hunt, not go kill everything you see, and only in places where it's safe to do so away from cabins/homes.  Basically a deer a year, a couple rabbits. I know a few others that occasionally hunt.  Just don't know the legal issues. Yes I can get written permission from leadership.

The poaching thread got me curious. Have shot a few nuisance animals and no issues with shooting them. Coyotes and similar stuff. As one of the actual owners does anyone see a legal issue? Tags needed etc? Still have to report it for say deer? Not really a hunter I have just not a regular thing.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 12:09:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Duck_Hunt] [#1]
To deer hunt on property you own you need the exempt big game license with tags. It’s like $3 for the tags.

Pretty sure in NC it’s legal for land owners to dispatch nuisance animals… including deer out of season. https://www.ncwildlife.org/Licensing/Regulations/Nongame-and-Other-Regulations/Wildlife-Depredation#5836328-wildlife-taken-without-a-depredation-permit

I think it’s open season on coyotes in NC, but I think you still need a license if you aren’t on your own property. Check the regs for other animals.

Why would you need written permission from leadership?  It’s likely that  your name has to be listed as an owner on the deed, or be an heir/etal.  Not sure how it would work if it’s some hoa that one pays dues to.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 9:42:00 AM EDT
[#2]
I would be worried the fact you are not the sole owner.  May be a gray area.  Ask the game commission they will have the answers.  

I assume your asking this cause your an out of state hunter?

You will still need to report the taking of a deer/turkey/bear and buy tags like the above post said.  Everything else you dont need tags for.  But there are seasons minus Coyotes and hogs.  Kill them at will 24/7
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 8:07:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the help. Will try to answer questions. It's basically an old wildlife club style community by a different name that has got built up over the years if that helps any. Mostly weekend cabins and a few live full time. They used to allow hunting for everyone involved  but after all the cabins got built over the years they restricted it.

No, in-state and sitting here as I type. It's set up as either a nonprofit or not for profit can't remember. Never been a big hunter but thought I would try. I know we are exempt from a license for fishing but don't know about hunting.

The property is set up like a condo association so you have private deeds bonded to the larger property that is on a normal deed. The reason I asked about a letter from leadership was mostly because if.a he said she said comes up.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 8:31:54 PM EDT
[#4]
OP no license is needed if you are hunting on your own property but you must still report your kills with the  License-Exempt Big Game Harvest Report Card.

https://www.eregulations.com/northcarolina/hunting/license-information

Exceptions to License Requirements

GENERAL
A landowner or person leasing land primarily for cultivation, their spouse, and dependents under 18 residing with them, may hunt, trap, and fish on such land without a license.

A resident of this state who is a member of the U.S. Armed Forces serving outside N.C., or a N.C. resident who is on full-time mil­itary duty outside the state in a reserve component of the U.S. Armed Forces is exempt from hunting, inland, and coastal fish­ing license require­ments while on leave in this state for 30 days or less.

When hunting or fishing under this exemption you must carry, on your person, your military ID card and a copy of the offi­cial docu­ment confirm­ing you are on leave from a duty station outside of N.C. Individuals hunting bear must purchase a Bear Management E-Stamp. You must also comply with all report­ing and hunter safety requirements as mandated by the Commission and purchase a federal duck stamp if waterfowl hunt­ing.
Individuals exempt from the requirements of a hunting license must obtain a License-Exempt Big Game Harvest Report Card when hunting deer, bear, or wild turkey. Those hunting bear must also obtain a Bear Management E-Stamp.

Individuals exempt from hunt­ing and fishing license requirements must adhere to designated seasons and limits.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top