Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/11/2023 8:00:43 PM EDT
Hello,

Helping a friend with his first NFA form.  What is the go to CLEO for Alaska?  Anyone go thru SilencerShop and can tell me who they are using?

Cheers,
Spooky
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 9:07:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, the local head of the PD.

With so many towns and villages thousands of miles apart, you just use the local office or ASP if needed. The dealer holding the NFA item should be familiar with this unless it's his first try.

Any time I have used SS they have sent my dealer all the info, the transfer, and fees for this ahead of me even knowing it. My dealer has the fingerprint cards set out and an appointment with the LEO for the task. You or your friend should not have to work for any of this at all.

And yes, SS pays the transfer fees to the dealer so they do not need to collect from the end user.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 9:33:37 AM EDT
[#2]
James Cockrell, Commissioner
Alaska State Troopers
5700 E Tudor Rd
Anchorage, AK 99507

Link Posted: 2/13/2023 6:18:55 AM EDT
[#3]
For my Form 4's through Silencer Shop, my dealer uses ALASKA DEPARTMENT OF LAW - TREG TAYLOR, ATTORNEY GENERAL

(not trying to "yell", he puts it in all caps)

There are also a number of SS kiosks around.
Link Posted: 2/13/2023 9:31:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Where does your friend live? In Anchorage I just went to the APD HQ and left a form with the front desk clerk and got a signed copy returned within a couple weeks.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 1:30:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yeah, the local head of the PD.

With so many towns and villages thousands of miles apart, you just use the local office or ASP if needed. The dealer holding the NFA item should be familiar with this unless it's his first try.

Any time I have used SS they have sent my dealer all the info, the transfer, and fees for this ahead of me even knowing it. My dealer has the fingerprint cards set out and an appointment with the LEO for the task. You or your friend should not have to work for any of this at all.

And yes, SS pays the transfer fees to the dealer so they do not need to collect from the end user.
View Quote

He’s doing a Form 1 SBR.  I’ve done things through SilencerShop and they used the “State Prosecuting Attorney” in Texas.  I’m not sure how closely the ATF checks the CLEO section but there are so many levels of law enforcement out there - state, county/borough, municipality, etc.

Thanks!
Spooky
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 1:31:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Where does your friend live? In Anchorage I just went to the APD HQ and left a form with the front desk clerk and got a signed copy returned within a couple weeks.
View Quote

You left the CLEO part of the Form 1 or 4 and they returned it to you signed?  Interesting!  This part of the process is a bit of a mystery but a lot of people seem to believe these forms are opened and shredded immediately…
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 12:30:59 AM EDT
[#7]
It was some time ago, but living in Wasilla in the borough I went to the trooper's office in Palmer for a C&R FFL sig and walked out with a sig in about 5 minutes.
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 9:20:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I have dropped the forms off with the Chief for a form 1 and he called about a week later to pick things up. I was fingerprinted at the same time filing as an individual. This was at the local City PD.
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 10:38:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

You left the CLEO part of the Form 1 or 4 and they returned it to you signed?  Interesting!  This part of the process is a bit of a mystery but a lot of people seem to believe these forms are opened and shredded immediately
View Quote
I honestly don't remember this was a few years ago. I think technically they only need to be informed about the NFA device (is that a state level law? It's been awhile since I made an NFA purchase) and on second thought I may have dropped it off and just submitted the rest of the paperwork to the ATF and I got approved.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 11:22:50 PM EDT
[#10]

He’s doing a Form 1 SBR.  I’ve done things through SilencerShop and they used the “State Prosecuting Attorney” in Texas.  I’m not sure how closely the ATF checks the CLEO section but there are so many levels of law enforcement out there - state, county/borough, municipality, etc.
View Quote

Ah, I gotcha. I've done all my Form 1's on my own and only my two recent Form 4's through Silencer Shop. Anyway, the forms no longer need to be signed by the CLEO (they did a few years ago). He just needs to plug in his CLEO's name and address, whichever that may be. There's no reason to think about it too hard. He'll never see it again and the NFA Branch doesn't track it. Now, sending in the CLEO Form is on the "honor system" that the submitter will actually send it. Which I always do, because why not. The idea is that if somebody is that much of a turd in their local jurisdiction, the CLEO might notify ATF about an issue, but I imagine that would only come into play in really small towns where everybody knows everybody and the CLEO has time to read random forms. Since they did away with the CLEO signature requirement, I've never heard anything about the CLEO Copies I've sent in, and there are several. If he's here in Anchorage, use Chief Michael Kerle at 716 W 4th Ave, Anchorage, AK 99501. Otherwise, post his city/town/village and I'll give you the CLEO & Address. For what it's worth, my latest E-Form 1 that was approved a couple of weeks ago only took 28 days.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 3:27:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
For my Form 4's through Silencer Shop, my dealer uses ALASKA DEPARTMENT OF LAW - TREG TAYLOR, ATTORNEY GENERAL

(not trying to "yell", he puts it in all caps)

There are also a number of SS kiosks around.
View Quote

This is who I was told to send all mine to
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top